Hey GVFlyer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dunno…

Of all the jets I’ve flown the Gulfstream is by far, hands down the best bizjet out there. All airframes will have a quirk or two and yes there are lemons. There is a G-IV non-SP mod at SAV that engineering has nicknamed “Opus” after the cartoon penguin. Why a penguin? It’s a flightless bird.

Although I’ve never piloted a V, I have J/S on one about five or six times and all the crews have had nothing but the highest of praise for the jet.

I’m wondering if maybe you’re just biased?

Maybe you’re a Falcon man at heart… understood if that’s the case.

The G is an awesome jet, a real performer and show stopper at times. The only real complaint I have is more a pet peeve than anything else.
It’s just so big and this sometimes causes us trouble when our charters want to go into some place like Hilton Head, Boca Raton, Scottsdale or some of the closer in airports serving larger cities.

As far as BS alerts on power up, both the III and the IV all had the same characteristic, heck from what I can remember the DA-50 had a similar quirk, apply power to that baby and the chiclets pad lit up like a Christmas tree momentarily.

Re: G-Lemon vs G-V

FL510GV said:
You must be flying the G-Lemon not the G-V. Just curious, what serial number? I got the APU to start at 410 on the second attempt... and you've got it all wrong - the C-141B flies like a truck :D

Fly safe!

No, it's the 737 that flies like a truck - the GV flies like a Porsche!

GV truck?

Our company has a GIV and it is heavy on the controls, but it's lighter than our Global Express. When the CEO decided we needed a long range airplane we flew the GV and the GEX. The pilots that got to fly them liked the GV better. The GV is much lighter on the controls than the GIV. I think it's this way, the GV was made to be flown, the GEX was made to be flown by the autopilot.

The Global is a nightmare when you first power it up. It's like booting a computer. You have to let it go through all it's built in tests before you touch anything. If you don't leave it alone until it's done, you will have to take it back to a cold aircraft and start over.

We ended up with the GEX because our company owns some of the companies that are suppliers for the GEX and Bombardier was giving us some heat.

Our Global has the same problems. If you touch anything before it powers up and goes through it's tests you have to reboot it. The GIV I flew for years was a early serial number and all the quirks were worked out of it. It was a good ship. The Global will be too but like all new aircraft it will take time. The real problem is with Bombardier. Support is terrible right now. Like all new aircraft there is not enough trained people to work on the dam thing. I still like crossing at .87 and FL410 and 430 and landing with a 98 Kt Ref speed. I remember back when Segrums parked both of their GV's up at HPN because of hydraulic problems. Any new ship has bugs. It will take time. But Bombardier? I cant find a excuse for them. I'd rather deal with Gulfstream right now!

My 2 Cents.

At least with the Global, you have an excuse...........it was designed from scratch:D , I don't think our friends from Savannah can make that claim.............yet:D

GEXDriver. You have a sweet airplane:cool: , I walked through it a couple of months ago. All kiding aside, it's much nicer than any GV I've seen to date.

Bottom line is that makers of corporate aircraft just basically throw stuff in their aircraft so they can claim they have all the best in bells and whisles, not worrying how well the "stuff" works together. No aircraft should produce all the faults that these two aircraft seem to get just because it has "booted" itself out of order or because I've moved a switch. These aircraft should be smarter then that and they should "boot" themselves in a logical order and know that when I shut an engine down on the ground, I don't need to know that the oil pressure is low, plus a half dozen other alerts..........these are 40+ million dollar machines. My "other" toy was designed in the 60's, then redesigned and updated in the early 80's and finally shrunk in the 90's and all the automation works very well together, plus it flies like a modern aircraft should, light and nimble on the controls, a real pleasure to hand fly. Blah, blah, blah...............

GEXDriver, tell Johnny, Mike and Art hello for me.

Falcon Capt said:
Hehehehe.... I think GVFlyer is a paid Gulfstream salesman "hyperster"...

That is , of course, nonsense.

I just believe in the aircraft. They are good, honest, safe, reliable, jets that haven't let me down in the 18 years I've been flying them.

It doesn't pitch up when it stalls or have stability problems on take-off, you can fly it with a complete hydraulic failure, it has safety features not available on it's competitors, and no one is sueing the manufacturer because of excessive engine failures(Bombardier).

It's engines are not prone to failure and it doesn't have an autopilot system that will kill your passengers, nor is Gulfstream being tried in criminal court for having such an autopilot (Dassault).

If a T/R inadvertently deploys, there is no way that you can cause the affected engine to produce enough thrust to cause loss of control and the death of 96 people(Fokker).

...as Andy Rooney would say it is nice to hear "The Rest of the Story!"

I believe that's Paul Harvey...

Hopeless_in_GA said:
I dunno…

Of all the jets I’ve flown the Gulfstream is by far, hands down the best bizjet out there. All airframes will have a quirk or two and yes there are lemons. There is a G-IV non-SP mod at SAV that engineering has nicknamed “Opus” after the cartoon penguin. Why a penguin? It’s a flightless bird.

Although I’ve never piloted a V, I have J/S on one about five or six times and all the crews have had nothing but the highest of praise for the jet.

I’m wondering if maybe you’re just biased?

Maybe you’re a Falcon man at heart… understood if that’s the case.

The G is an awesome jet, a real performer and show stopper at times. The only real complaint I have is more a pet peeve than anything else.
It’s just so big and this sometimes causes us trouble when our charters want to go into some place like Hilton Head, Boca Raton, Scottsdale or some of the closer in airports serving larger cities.

As far as BS alerts on power up, both the III and the IV all had the same characteristic, heck from what I can remember the DA-50 had a similar quirk, apply power to that baby and the chiclets pad lit up like a Christmas tree momentarily.

Hopeless I thought you said you were going to lay low for a while?
Olin said to get your butt back to work!:D
Oh yea you better check the schedule sheet real good cuz your gonna be pissed!;)

Latest resources

Back