Hewlett-Packard Flt. Dept.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G100driver said:
There are a lot of "brass ring" jobs on that are discussed on this board. It is funny how the best jobs going are often for people that you have never heard of.

Truer words have never been spoken. I spent years(15+) working for huge Fortune x and xx companies that everyone has heard of.

I spent years thinking that working for a large Fortune x and XX company was the place to be. That I was lucky to have a job at such a place and that I was set for life. Forget it, after years of declining benefits, Q of L, declining pensions and countless other things. I learned their are only TWO things that matter. Money and time off. One of the first guys I ever flew with told me," you pay and I obey, you don't and I go away." Learn it, live it.

I am based at an airport where two of the major Fortune corporations are based. 99% of the corporate guys on this board would jump at chance to work at a either one of them, a big name like HP at SJC.

Within the past year both flt departments have lost multiple guys to management companies.

Take it from me working for a big name is not what it's cracked up to be. Believe me, it's not the name on the top of the pay check that counts, it's the number on the bottom of the check that really matters. My grandfather taught me two very import things, "you can't pay the rent with a title and their are no hearses with trailer hitches". If you can't figure what I am saying you are too far gone.

After the money comes, the way they treat your family (time off) and then the way they treat you (respect).

I am working for a guy that nobody has ever heard of and as far as I am concerned this guy walks on water. It makes me laugh because this corporate aviation mgt thing is not that difficult. It all revolves around a basic principle that your parents taught you years ago, "You get what you pay for". Plain and simple. My current boss has it figured it out, but in major Fortune XX companies, somehow it gets lost between the HR folks, the bean counters, the aviation director or the chief pilot.

That's why their is nothing more rewarding then flying for a guy who says,"thank you" after every flight, who understands that you do hold the future of his family, his company, his employees, the share holders and the price of his stock on every flight (aka treats you right)

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
That's why their is nothing more rewarding then flying for a guy who says,"thank you" after every flight, who understands that you do hold the future of his family, his company, his employees, the share holders and the price of his stock on every flight (aka treats you right)

How true is that brodda! Now pass me a Mai Tai!

(It is amazing how these 2 engine falcons can fly across large bodies of water ;) )

G4G5 Post

Well G4G5 hit right on the head. Sounds like he has found a great place to hang his hat, I hope we all can do as well.

He might be doing a good job for his boss and that is the reason he will be able to stay on and enjoy.

Good for you G4G5 !!

So uh, any word on the "Pilot I" listing dated 12/15/2005? Anyone hear anything? What's the recruitment process at HP???

Excellent post overall, especially the last part:

G4G5 said:
16 days until pitchers and catchers report (2/15/06)

G4G5 said:
Take it from me working for a big name is not what it's cracked up to be. Believe me, it's not the name on the top of the pay check that counts, it's the number on the bottom of the check that really matters. My grandfather taught me two very import things, "you can't pay the rent with a title and their are no hearses with trailer hitches". If you can't figure what I am saying you are too far gone.

)

I dont get it. Is there hope for me? I'm in a less than ideal corporate position...just biding my time...

There is hope for everyone. G4G5 is just making the point that money isn't everything.TC

501261 said:
Lots of people go there, thinking it's great job, a GV for a F50 company, once they realize the department needs "leadership", people that can find other jobs leave.
That's not the root of it but it's a big part.

One big problem is that the new CEO just did away with the retirement program. Two of the 6 departures referred to were under an early retirement program announced shortly after the new CEO showed up.

They've also been under a pay freeze for about the last five years. At this point in time it's possible to get hired there and be a GV CA in about a year. Starting pay is $75K. An upgrade doesn't come with a pay raise. That means you could be a GV CA making 75K a year. That's about 55% below industry standard.

Oh and one other thing - they don't upgrade on the basis of seniority. It's just whoever they think will do the best job in the open position.

The department head has been "unsuccessful" at getting more out of the company for the pilots. He's not the best person for that job IMHO.

If you want to make $75K to fly an Otter it's a pretty good gig. It's even a pretty good job for newbie FOs. It's not a good job for anyone with an y real experience.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back