Hewlett-Packard Flt. Dept.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
saviboy said:
would they take a look at a 1200 hr pilot with 121 turboprop experience?

I tried to get on there in '03. 4500 TT, 1000 Jet, 2500 PIC. At the time I worked for HP in PSG (computer) sales, my dad retired from HP after 25 years, I stopped to shake hands with the flight department peeps on a business trip, sent numerous resume's ... nothing. I was a furloughed airline guy with no corporate experience ... maybe that prevented me from getting a call. But, after looking into the job more, the general consensus was it's not as glamerous as it sounds. Low pay for the area among other things.

Iflyamouse said:
I tried to get on there in '03. 4500 TT, 1000 Jet, 2500 PIC. At the time I worked for HP in PSG (computer) sales, my dad retired from HP after 25 years, I stopped to shake hands with the flight department peeps on a business trip, sent numerous resume's ... nothing. I was a furloughed airline guy with no corporate experience ... maybe that prevented me from getting a call. But, after looking into the job more, the general consensus was it's not as glamerous as it sounds. Low pay for the area among other things.

I guess there are no HP pilots on this forum. I'm in the same boat with you. I've been tracking the pilot job listing on their website for a while. I don't understand what it takes to get an interview, let alone the job. Although I'm coming from the airline side, I want to relocate back to the San jose area- money is of no concern to me at this point. I can relocate on a dime if offered this job! Yet the word going around is they offer jobs to pilots that won't take it because of relocation and financial problems, and perhaps pass up pilots that don't have these concerns. :confused:

They will be looking for someone who is type rated. If they are too cheap to pay a descent wage, do you think they will be wiling to part with the $50K for a G5 type rating?

According to my friend who just left, there are far better gigs out there unless you can get them to buy you a rating and immediately start looking for greener pastures.TC

Where can I get a Twotter type these days???

Dumb question but since I don't know anyone at HP, my chances of even getting called seem rather remote. But is there any way at all I can get in touch with some at the flight dept. for some sort of introduction?? I mean I can just show up at their SJC Hangar/office and say Hi but I'm thinking that may be too blunt. any suggestions?

G4G5 said:
They will be looking for someone who is type rated. If they are too cheap to pay a descent wage, do you think they will be wiling to part with the $50K for a G5 type rating?
Incorrect. They are not looking for you to have a G-IV/G450/GV/G550 or even a DA50 type. They'll get the training for you and they aren't shy about spending the $ - it's out of a different budget. Initial courses are the general rule for first timers in spcific types.

They're hiring into the Otter right now. Newhires can expect to be there, "...for a LONG time before getting in to a jet," according to the chief pilot.

RampTower said:
I mean I can just show up at their SJC Hangar/office and say Hi but I'm thinking that may be too blunt. any suggestions?
Yes you can! In fact, it's ABSOLUTELY essential. The way you get the call is to be in the chief pilot's face - OFTEN. If you go there unannounced and he's there you'll likely get the tour of the facility and a synopsis of the hiring prospects (which are never good, by the way). Listen to what you're told carefully - instructions about when to come again are likely there.

There's no telling what his reaction will be but one thing is certain - if you aren't persistent you'll have no chance at all.

RampTower said:
Yet the word going around is they offer jobs to pilots that won't take it because of relocation and financial problems, and perhaps pass up pilots that don't have these concerns. :confused:
Huh? They tend to like to interview more local pilots because HP's policy is to pay relocation expenses when they hire an employee at this level of hte company. They just don't pay very well - at least not yet.

HP hold

Also on hold, I don't even care to disclose for how long. It's a goal for me so I can wait and in the mean time find a decent job to do what I love. Who know's, one day, one of these F50 outfits just might call..... Good Luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back