Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here's another - feeder route altitudes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJFlyer

Wastin' time...
Looked in the FAR/AIM again, and Jepps, and as usual it's clear as mud:

As an example, I am looking at BPT (Beaumont, TX) ILS 12. There is a feeder frrom the BPT VOR (which is not an IAF) to the LOM, which is the IAF. The altitude listed on the feeder is 1700'. The profile view shows a descent outbound from the IAF on the procedure turn to 1700' (implying you should be above 1700' when you cross the LOM/IAF).

The question is, if ATC clears you to the LOM via the feeder, cleared for the approach, when can you descend to 1700'? When established on the feeder, or after passing the LOM/IAF outbound?

I have never once been cleared on a feeder, so this is not something I have managed to retain since my instrument rating.

Thanks!

mmmdonut said:
ASK AN INSTRUCTOR
That seems to be your mantra these days…

You can descend to 1700 when established on the feeder inbound from HONEE. It also says NOPT. So you would not need that procedure turn. BTW GIDDY intersection is NOT an IAF and HONEE is.

Don’t get yourself into too much trouble out there.

JB2k

JetBlast2000 said:
You can descend to 1700 when established on the feeder inbound from HONEE. It also says NOPT. So you would not need that procedure turn.
In fact, you would not be allowed to do a procedure turn without asking for and obtaining specific permission from ATC.

But I think RJFlyer was talking about the feeder from BPT VOR.

The instruction would something like "proceed direct Beaumont VOR. Cleared for the Beaumont ILS Runway 12 approach."

The key to understanding the "feeder" is to understand that it is part of the approach structure. Just like every other approach segment, once cleared for the approach, unless there is some ATC instruction to the contrary, your minimum altitudes are the ones depicted on the chart for that segment.

So, for this approach, let's say you were at 2000' when you got that approach clearance. You'd fly to BPT at 2000', Once established on the BPT 296°R, you may descend to 1700' .

Last edited:
midlifeflyer said:
In fact, you would not be allowed to do a procedure turn without asking for and obtaining specific permission from ATC.

But I think RJFlyer was talking about the feeder from BPT VOR.
Ahh I see that now. I’m a Jepp guy, and AOPA has NOS online...
But as
[font=&quot]midlifeflyer [/font]said. Once established on any section of an approach, you can descend to the alt. depicted for that particular part of the approach. So the alt ref on the outbound potion does not imply anything in terms of alt. to another portion of the approach.

JB2k

mmmdonut said:
Why is an RJ pilot asking such a basic question? Must work for Mesa.....
No, smarta$$, I don't fly for Mesa - if you flew 121 much you'd know that we NEVER get clearances to a feeder then cleared approach. We are radar vectored virtually everywhere. I've never had to do it in any training I've ever done either, so it's not exactly "basic." I realized I didn't know the answer, so I tried looking it up. As usual, the FARs are as clear as mud and I still couldn't find a definitive answer, so I asked (something I'd imagine you'd never stoop to doing).

And I did ask an instructor (the Capt I'm flying with) and he wasn't entirely sure either. In fact, he thought you couldn't descend until the IAF, that the altitudes listed on feeders were just an MEA.

So go bother someone else, please. By the way, if you don't have a question or an answer, why even bother taking the time to post? Looks like someone needs a boyfriend...

To the rest of you, thanks for the input. I was under the impression from the different things I'd read that once cleared on a feeder, you could descend to that altitude, but couldn't find any definitive instruction about descending on them.

Personally, I believe it is not defined anywhere, so my philosophy is unless you have passed an IAF, you are not established, therefore you should not descend unless you request and receive clearance.

RJFlyer said:
No, smarta$$, I don't fly for Mesa - if you flew 121 much you'd know that we NEVER get clearances to a feeder then cleared approach. We are radar vectored virtually everywhere.

That's soooooooo true I don't know a thing about 121.... once I was radar vectored from CLT to ATL.... by the same controller!!!!!
:rolleyes:

Oh and leave my boyfriend out of this....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back