Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here's another - feeder route altitudes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This looks like the reference you are looking for.

AIM 5-5-4

Pilot-

3. Upon reciept of an approach clearance while on an unpublished route or being radar vectored:

b) Maintains the last assigned altitude until established on a segment of a published route or IAP, at which time published altitudes apply.

"The question becomes, is the feeder considered a "published segment" of the approach?"

It is a published route. And after reciept of an approach clearance, when established on that route, published altitudes apply.

Last edited:
philo beddoe said:
Great job finding that.
I shall now commence willy nilly descents to all published altitudes.
"The devil made me do it."
Only do it after you've recieved your willy nilly approach clearance, and are established on your willy nilly published route.

philo beddoe said:
That being said, I think the following logic applies.

If you flying feeder route you are very likely non-radar.
It follows that it is very unlikely that there is going to be another aircraft anywhere near you. If you are all alone in the area, it makes no difference if you descend to the feeder altitude or not, since you know you have obstacle protection,, and the only other reason to wait would be traffic separation.
(With this one caution: if ATC left you hanging a few thousand feet higher as you hit the feeder route, it might be wise to find out why.)
I don't follow the logic, nor do I think it matters. I don't see any suggestion in the directives that would have me treat the altitudes any differently based upon radar coverage.

This approach, NDB RWY 09 Memphis Intl (MEM) shows two feeder facilities, GQE (Gilmore) and HLI (Holly Springs). Let's say I'm approaching HLI from the southeast (I just enjoyed a nice layover in Atlanta :)) and I'm cleared direct to HLI. I'm at 3,000', my last assigned altitude.

Two possible clearances:

1) "FedEx 357, Cleared the NDB RWY 09 Approach"

- - I continue to HLI at 3,000 feet, at which point I am legal to descend to the MEA of 2,100'. Upon reaching the LOM, ELVIS, I commence the procedure turn and begin a descent to 1,900'.

2) "FedEx 357, Cleared the NDB RWY 09 Approach, maintain 3,000' until established."

- - I continue to HLI at 3,000 feet, and then proceed along the HLI 299 radial outbound at 3,000'. I maintain 3,000' until I reach ELVIS because that's where the approach begins, and I'm not "established" until I get there. Being on the feeder route does not constitute being established on a segment of the published approach.

I could have received either clearance with radar coverage or without radar coverage. In either case I would transit quite near to Memphis International Airport, and would likely fly near other airplanes. I really don't see where you're getting the "non-radar" twist to the question.

The distinction that I think needs to be made is in regards to the clearance received.

Back to the post that began this thread:
RJFlyer said:
As an example, I am looking at BPT (Beaumont, TX) ILS 12. There is a feeder frrom the BPT VOR (which is not an IAF) to the LOM, which is the IAF. The altitude listed on the feeder is 1700'. The profile view shows a descent outbound from the IAF on the procedure turn to 1700' (implying you should be above 1700' when you cross the LOM/IAF).

The question is, if ATC clears you to the LOM via the feeder, cleared for the approach, when can you descend to 1700'? When established on the feeder, or after passing the LOM/IAF outbound?
ILS RWY 02 BEAUMONT-PORT ARTHUR / SOUTHEAST TEXAS REGIONAL (BPT)

Absent any other altitude constraints, you may descend to 1,700' once established on the feeder routing from BPT to BP (KAZOO - the LOM/IAF).

I was implying that even if you broke the rules, you would not likely hit anyone, not implying that the rules changed due to the presence or lack of radar servies.

I think that you might want to check with an ATC'er before you assume that those two clearances are fundamentally different.

"- - I continue to HLI at 3,000 feet, at which point I am legal to descend to the MEA of 2,100'. Upon reaching the LOM, ELVIS, I commence the procedure turn and begin a descent to 1,900'.

- - I continue to HLI at 3,000 feet, and then proceed along the HLI 299 radial outbound at 3,000'. I maintain 3,000' until I reach ELVIS because that's where the approach begins, and I'm not "established" until I get there. Being on the feeder route does not constitute being established on a segment of the published approach. " QUOTE"

Both scenarios are legal, as you say. But, for the sake of conversation, let's clarify the statement of not being "established". Once on the feeder you are established on a published route involved with the approach. Yeah, it's not actually part of the approach, however it is part of your approach clearance. The folks that publish the AIM thought the distinction was important enough to use all caps:

Approach Clearance

a. ..................WHEN CLEARED FOR THE APPROACH,THE PUBLISHED OFF AIRWAY (FEEDER) ROUTES THAT LEAD FROM THE ENROUTE STRUCTURE TO THE IAF ARE PART OF THE APPROACH CLEARANCE.

The two clearances Tony gave are essentialy the same thing. The controller wants you to stay at your last assigned altitude until HLI, then do what's on the plate. Only difference is that in 1 clearance he reminded you to stay at 3000 'til the VOR. Makes no difference if it's radar or not, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Agree with Tony C's interpretation

prpjt said:
The two clearances Tony gave are essentially the same thing. The controller wants you to stay at your last assigned altitude until HLI, then do what's on the plate. Only difference is that in 1 clearance he reminded you to stay at 3000 'til the VOR. Makes no difference if it's radar or not, it is what it is.
Hi PRPJT,

I think Tony brought up a great example. I do not agree with your interpretation of that clearance. I agree with Tony's interpretation however. The "Until Established" refers to established on the course prior to the FAF or final approach phase as supposed to established on the published route. Anytime that I have received a clearance that says a "maintain XXX cleared for the XXX approach" I have not received the "until established" part... but I would interpret it the way Tony did(Mostly in Mexico or South America). Still I agree, probably not "violation" material and not necessarily wrong...

philo beddoe said:
Ahhh grasshopper, but those occur after the IAF, hence I am absolutely confident that they are part of the approach, therefore I am established for certain.
Ahh but Master, you did not supply a reference. So is the test "I personally believe it's true, so it's okay, but I don't personally believe this other rule, so it may not be."?

Again, not being a wise guy. Just reiterating the point about differing opinions on 1+1=? Simple, basic, unless it conflicts with one's belief system. Then, all of a sudden it becomes a matter of opinion.

Latest resources

Back