• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here we go LUV!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only reason SWA has been making profits in todays 120-140 dollar per barrel oil industry is because of their hedges.

If it wasn't for the hedges, they'd lose money.

And keep in mind that SWA being paid well and now are the highest paid pax pilots has everything to do with the fact that the legacies all took termendous paycuts after 9/11, to the point where SWA wages are higher than even a 747 Captain at a legacy.

And, before 9/11, whether you like it or not, SWA was considered a 'second' tier airline to end up at, and everyone's first choice was a legacy carrier.

How things change..........................

Last edited:
The only reason SWA has been making profits in todays 120-140 dollar per barrel oil industry is because of their hedges.

And keep in mind that SWA being paid well and now are the highest paid pax pilots has everything to do with the fact that the legacies all took termendous paycuts after 9/11, to the point where SWA wages are higher than even a 747 Captain at a legacy.

And, before 9/11, whether you like it or not, SWA was considered a 'second' tier airline to end up at, and everyone's first choice was a legacy carrier.

Not sure things have changed at all.....first choice for alot is still a legacy for personal reasons....they are just not hiring....can't do much about that. And some folks first choice is SWA. Sometimes the best airline out there is the one that hires you....

1015, You just don't get it.

SWA since the early 90's. Made as much or more than my contemperaries hired at the same time or even earlier at legacy carriers. Pay per hour was less, yes, but I flew much more and pretty much the same number of days.

It is shortsided to focus only on the pay rate rather than pay per day. Some do not wish to work as much and that is okay. But the efficiency that is lost when more pilots (pay+benefits) are required to do a similar amount of flying has the net result in putting job security at risk.

sounds like you've got it all figured out.:rolleyes:

Leave it to Southwest to blow their own horn. Of course, if I could blow my own horn...I'd never leave the house.

Other airlines, and I know for sure Delta, had fuel hedges a few years ago, but they sold them off to raise cash. SWA didn't sell their's. So much for "luck". How about sharp, shrewd management instead.

You really don't know what you are talking about...I was at a legacy...and wanted to work at SWA.....the dday after I got my 737 type at the legacy, I sent in my app to SWA...

It wasn't my "second Tier"...but my first...and I am thrilled with my choice.

LUV got lucky is all.

They hedged for different reasons than having a crystal ball telling them oil would be $140 a barrel. Success in this industry is no longer about a solid business plan.

I will say that LUV made their luck.

Just shows that smart management make smart decisions unlike mamagement that thinks they are smart make poor decisions...If the legacy carriers would read the book "NUTS" they could learn a lot about how to run an airline ...If i remember correctly Herb Kelleher was quoted as saying "It's not rocket science".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back