• Friendliest aviation community on the web
$59 dollar rates?

You get what you pay for:

1. C boarding pass
2. 2 or 3 stops to get where you are going
3. Greyhound type customers sitting next to you
4. Pilots who "Paid" for their training to get a job
5. No First Class
6. Unpaid Trips to the doc to fix neck from too many quick stops to avoid runway over runs

Sounds like you were turned down by SWA. I fly Delta and I live in a trailer park.

PS fflyerworld: For someone who will never set foot on a SWA plane, you seem to have a lot of insight. Do you hang around their gates and observe? You should hear what people say about YOUR airline!

I don't own an airline. We all have our preferences don't we. And, yes - unfortunately, I hung around the Southwest Terminal in PHX for over 6 hours waiting on a flight to arrive that never did although the FID screen AND Southwest reservations claimed it was "fixin to"![/QUOTE]

Well golly gee for someone who has all those supposed type ratings you would think you could get afford a better carrier to carry your beloved made up story niece? Please do you really think your impressing anybody with all those silly airplanes you listed as having flown? Go away troll.

I don't own an airline. We all have our preferences don't we. And, yes - unfortunately, I hung around the Southwest Terminal in PHX for over 6 hours waiting on a flight to arrive that never did although the FID screen AND Southwest reservations claimed it was "fixin to"!

Well golly gee for someone who has all those supposed type ratings you would think you could get afford a better carrier to carry your beloved made up story niece? Please do you really think your impressing anybody with all those silly airplanes you listed as having flown? Go away troll.

BTW how long did it take you to type all those airplanes? and more importantly WHY? my god I stopped counting after 10.

both DL and Airtran will double the flights to which ever cities they fly to, and kick them out like we did to Jetblue.

I think you are giving DL and FL far too much credit for JB's failure in ATL. Honestly, the only market they served with connections to any other market was JFK. The LGB run had 0 connections. It was doomed for failure from the beginning. It was a very poorly planned route structure which failed to attract any reasonable amount of market share, in my opinion. JB shot itself in the foot, they needed no help. Rest assured you will have to put forth a lot more effort to "kick" WN out, should they enter the market a la F9. I see connections to DEN, BWI, and MDW. That should open the door to pretty much ever WN market out there. Giving WN a fair shot at drawing a fair amount of market share. Just my $.02.

I think you are giving DL and FL far too much credit for JB's failure in ATL. Honestly, the only market they served with connections to any other market was JFK. The LGB run had 0 connections. It was doomed for failure from the beginning. It was a very poorly planned route structure which failed to attract any reasonable amount of market share, in my opinion. JB shot itself in the foot, they needed no help. Rest assured you will have to put forth a lot more effort to "kick" WN out, should they enter the market a la F9. I see connections to DEN, BWI, and MDW. That should open the door to pretty much ever WN market out there. Giving WN a fair shot at drawing a fair amount of market share. Just my $.02.

Didn't Jetblue go to Ontario from ATL, and not LGB? I don't think anyone has gone nonstop to LGB from ATL. Before giving your $.02, maybe you should look it up on Google for free. When JB added this service, Delta added flights to LAX, ONT, and SNA----and we gave away tickets. We did the same to NYC as well. Have you seen how JB has retracted a lot of flights out of ORD lately? The incumbents there (UAL and AA) have done the same. Now there are maybe three E190s a day to JFK from ORD, and one bus to LGB. And, maybe you don't know a lot about ATL, but gates are at a premium. Frontier flies maybe 3 flights a day into ATL. So, Southwest may be coming to town, but don't expect hourly flights to MDW or BWI, or even DEN. SWA will also get a few slots at DCA if they get this deal done. Again, a few slots. The incumbents will rain down on any newcomer, and when you can't get more slots or gates, then you will have a tough time. Hey, how's SWA doing at LGA? I've heard THEY HATE IT. Well, welcome to delays boys.......when your planes have 6 more stops before they hit LAS at midnight, it aint good to be 3 hours late....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The first part was funny, but the second part I am dead serious.

SWA is to have plenty of gate access on the new international terminal which they will trade for the city gates on D. They will have as much of ATL as they want. I am sure of it. I say bring it on.
You will watch the cost per seat mile at DAL go down and quite quickly after SOC. I like having this many types of jets. That means we have the correct jet on the correct route. That will mean huge profits, and deeper pockets than we have today.

I also know that SWA and DAL are not dumb enough to try and kill each other. They will pick off other, not each other.

First of all for all the b travlers that you say wont fly on us I know double that amount that are begging for us to come to their city (ATL) Second, don't worry we will bring it, at least we didn't take any paycuts to bring our cost down to compete with you. USAIR tried, UNITED tried and know DELta will try, everyone else failed but you will succeed....riiiiiiiiiiight.

What I find hilarious is a legacy guy telling everyone what Southwest can NOT accomplish with one gate.

This comes from someone that has a aircraft at the gate for more than 90 minutes at a time.

SWA gate efficiency is incredible, somewhere as north of 16 flights a day if they so desired....

good luck getting 16 flights a day into/out of one gate at ATL...

If SWA really wanted to give Delta fits in ATL they'd figure out a way to start service into Peachtree/Dekalb or Fulton Co.

I just don't see any way they can really execute their traditional business plan at ATL.

First of all for all the b travlers that you say wont fly on us I know double that amount that are begging for us to come to their city (ATL) Second, don't worry we will bring it, at least we didn't take any paycuts to bring our cost down to compete with you. USAIR tried, UNITED tried and know DELta will try, everyone else failed but you will succeed....riiiiiiiiiiight.

I am very curious to see how SWA tweaks their business model going forward. Fact is that your esteemed CEO has been hinting at it for a long time. You are not that rambunctious little LCC from Dallas anymore. You are a Major airline with costs that are so far out ahead of everyone else. It is slowly catching up.
Little add-ins like the third bag fee, will soon become the second bag feel, and you will invent some new type of "non-refundable" ticket. Why? It has to be done.
This industry is cut throat, and SWA has been able to go after airlines that had costs so much higher than they. Well, all of us have slashed our costs, given our career to the company, and they do have the ability to compete.
Fact is that SWA is actually a very logical competitor. They have not knocked DAL out of any market. We have not knocked them out of a market. They took over MCO when we decided it was not worth the trouble, but we know that competing with each other like that would put either company in a position of extreem vunerability.

I welcome SWA to ATL, and hope that Wright is gone so they can fly directly to LUV!

Latest resources

Back