Here it Comes, Gen...SWA To ATL!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crj567

Read the article. It states that IF they buy Frontier, they MAY.

I know that SWA has plans to serve ATL in the 2012 time frame. Let em. I have talked to our boys and they are ready to fight. We are having a great time with them in MSP and SLC. Just watch it unfold.

SWA comes to ATL it will hurt AAI more than us.

I think they serve DTW as well, although you hardly notice them. I guess we are all supposed to be scared.........

I think Southwest is a great airline with a great product. But they are definitely getting away from their business model that has lasted them 30+ years... going in to smaller outlying airports where costs are much cheaper than the big cities. Now instead of MHT its BOS, instead of ISP its LGA... soon they are gonna be just like the rest of us. The labor costs are already there. The only thing they really have going for them is that they have resisted the temptation to get more airplane models.

With the direction SWA is headed in, they are going to be the same as the rest of us in a few years. Mark my words.

Only thing that scares me is the fact that every time I am in CA, and I am on a bus with them, they make our FA's look young! NO, I am not kidding.

SWA is great for what it is. I mean that. Business travelers hate em. They only use them when they have to by their corporate travel offices. I know. I have many friends that go crazy every time that is their only option.

FWIW, my father-in-law, no longer takes them. He lives in DFW and cannot stand them. He even takes AMR to AUS, and HOU. Business travelers what to work toward a perk, and getting to board first is not one they really care about. They want a seat assignment, awards that get them the good seats, and miles to burn for their vacations. After all who wants to go to BHM et al for vacation.

Only thing that scares me is the fact that every time I am in CA, and I am on a bus with them, they make our FA's look young! NO, I am not kidding.

SWA is great for what it is. I mean that. Business travelers hate em. They only use them when they have to by their corporate travel offices. I know. I have many friends that go crazy every time that is their only option.

FWIW, my father-in-law, no longer takes them. He lives in DFW and cannot stand them. He even takes AMR to AUS, and HOU. Business travelers what to work toward a perk, and getting to board first is not one they really care about. They want a seat assignment, awards that get them the good seats, and miles to burn for their vacations. After all who wants to go to BHM et al for vacation.

Unfortunately you are convincing nobody but yourself. Really... all those business travellers love those CRJ200s.

Wow. We must really suck. I will tell Gary. Thanks.

Read the article. It states that IF they buy Frontier, they MAY.

I know that SWA has plans to serve ATL in the 2012 time frame. Let em. I have talked to our boys and they are ready to fight. We are having a great time with them in MSP and SLC. Just watch it unfold.

SWA comes to ATL it will hurt AAI more than us.

I DID read the article. This is the way these things are telegraphed to the investment world. They WILL be knocking on your door-soon. Just look how much business they took away from United in Denver and Chicago. SWA is about 80% of the reason UAL is on the ropes right now.

You are correct about one thing: The are getting away from their business model. They have decided to go head-to-head with the legacies and inflict maximum damage. SWA mgmt. knows what they are doing. They will use their much lower cost structure to bleed you. So-the "inspired leadership team" has you bleeding red ink into Africa and all over Europe, and soon they will have to complete against a low-fare carrier with a much larger route structure than AirTran.

P.S.- You can fight all you want. The problem is very simple: You have a large, inefficient route structure with many aircraft types (a really ridiculous number-post merger,) and SWA has just one type and a very efficient structure. Your Cost Per Seat seat mile last quarter was 10.51 cents. SWA had a CASM of 9.52 cents. That is what smart people would refer to as a "big problem."

-RA has done a fabulous job of pissing off many locals, contractors, passengers, investors (who really hate losing money forever.) and pretty much everyone else who anything to do with the new NWA. Just like I stated earlier-he will need every friend he can find, and his track record in the "friends" department so far leaves a bit to be desired.

Told you it was coming.....

http://www.ajc.com/business/southwest-could-begin-atlanta-104584.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

-Like I previously stated, all the bad ju-ju Delta has been laying out since the merger will come back around..... Just wait and see how fast all the ATL passengers, former employees and former investors RA has hosed will clamor all over each other to get onto an airline with a comparable domestic route structure! $59 each way-you pompus tool!

-Enjoy!

Well, Frontier has one gate in ATL with it's 3 daily flights. I guess they can have one nonstop to LBB, one to Boise, and one to Midway. That will be FANTASTIC to see them here.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I DID read the article. This is the way these things are telegraphed to the investment world. They WILL be knocking on your door-soon. Just look how much business they took away from United in Denver and Chicago. SWA is about 80% of the reason UAL is on the ropes right now.

You are correct about one thing: The are getting away from their business model. They have decided to go head-to-head with the legacies and inflict maximum damage. SWA mgmt. knows what they are doing. They will use their much lower cost structure to bleed you. So-the "inspired leadership team" has you bleeding red ink into Africa and all over Europe, and soon they will have to complete against a low-fare carrier with a much larger route structure than AirTran.

P.S.- You can fight all you want. The problem is very simple: You have a large, inefficient route structure with many aircraft types (a really ridiculous number-post merger,) and SWA has just one type and a very efficient structure. Your Cost Per Seat seat mile last quarter was 10.51 cents. SWA had a CASM of 9.52 cents. That is what smart people would refer to as a "big problem."

-RA has done a fabulous job of pissing off many locals, contractors, passengers, investors (who really hate losing money forever.) and pretty much everyone else who anything to do with the new NWA. Just like I stated earlier-he will need every friend he can find, and his track record in the "friends" department so far leaves a bit to be desired.

Obviously you haven't read any of the other posts. We fight Southwest at other hubs, and no biggie. In ATL, there aren't a lot of gates available, period. Both Delta and Airtran want it that way. Southwest will have limited resources to mount any fight. And if they try something, both DL and Airtran will double the flights to which ever cities they fly to, and kick them out like we did to Jetblue. Honestly, it will be FANTASTIC to watch. I will watch it as much as I can, as I prepare to fly to Munich.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back