• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here it Comes, Gen...SWA To ATL!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Southwest is a great airline with a great product. But they are definitely getting away from their business model that has lasted them 30+ years... going in to smaller outlying airports where costs are much cheaper than the big cities. Now instead of MHT its BOS, instead of ISP its LGA... soon they are gonna be just like the rest of us. The labor costs are already there. The only thing they really have going for them is that they have resisted the temptation to get more airplane models.

With the direction SWA is headed in, they are going to be the same as the rest of us in a few years. Mark my words.

It's called adjusting to the market place so that you can remain competitive.

I have no brilliant insight to add to this discussion other than to say that d ouche nozzle has quite possibly just surpassed f uck head in my swear word heirarchy. Nicely done.

On second thought, I do have insight to add (not brilliant insight, mind you). The topic of the evening is "Why does CRJ567 sit at his computer all day long looking for any news article that he can post with an anti-Delta spin??

Is it because:
a) He resents the fact that he works for a subcontractor and harbors ill will towards the company that ultimately signs his paycheck.

b) He actually works for SWA and is spearheading their quest for world domination (otherwise known as "All Roads lead to LBB"....)

c) He's 14 years old and he still has spare time between his MS Flight Sim virtual airline, his acne treatments, and his "special" time with the magazines he found under daddy's bed.

d) he's a d ouche nozzle (loved that one so much I had to use it twice!!!)

You can call me whatever you want. You can attempt to rationalize away all these things which make you uncomfortable. None of this will change the fact that I am right.

Funny how Delta is suddenly the target to beat! There is a reason behind this and it is HUGE! All I can say is a pig in a dress is still a pig (SWA). I will NEVER step foot on one of their aircraft. Talk about comical and unrprofessional. Their micky mouse technology will catch up with them soon if they attempt any true growth. Never forget a few years back my niece flying from SNA to PHX on SW and thunderstorms in area forced major delays. The SWA fid screens were a complete disaster and her flight diverted to Tucson - YET their fid screen stated "FIXIN TO LAND" - LOL - Very very high quality!

"Their micky mouse technology will catch up with them soon if they attempt any true growth."

Just curious, is 3000 plus flights a day not true growth? I am sorry it does not meet your criteria. BTW, we just yell "FIXIN TO LAND" now to save costs from those "expensive" flat screens.

Last edited:
"Their micky mouse technology will catch up with them soon if they attempt any true growth."

Just curious, is 3000 plus flights a day not true growth? I am sorry it does not meet your criteria. BTW, we just yell "FIXIN TO LAND" now to save costs from those "expensive" flat screens.

And being from Texas - why should I be surprised!!! Speaking of any future growth not past or previous. Gary himself stated years ago that you needed to spend $$ on technology in order to keep up with growth. Are you not aware that your software at SWA has not been capable of seat assignments? Just one of many many issues with your backwards technology.
Oh and btw - my nieces flight canceled in Tucson and she was bused to PHX arriving 5 hours later and your FID screen still stated "Fixin to Land" LOL

Gary himself stated years ago that you needed to spend $$ on technology in order to keep up with growth. Are you not aware that your software at SWA has not been capable of seat assignments? Just one of many many issues with your backwards technology.

I usually stay off FI, but morbid curiousity after the Frontier announcement brought me back here. Good thing I wasn't disappointed.

Actually, fflyer, you are wrong about the technology. Dead wrong. But considering you're shooting from the hip and making a bunch of assumptions, I'm not surprised.

It's not that WN's technology can't do assigned seating - they don't want to. The customers (based on numerous surveys) don't want them to. This is why WN changed their boarding procedure a couple of years ago.

And you may think it's backwards, but technology at an airline is an expensive investment. Often, it doesn't yield the return on investments that are promised - hence, WN has always been a little weary of "gee wiz" technology. They're catching up, but they're doing it carefullly. The investments in technology go far beyond piddly concepts like assigned seating - they're often things that are completely transparent to the customer but provide better service in the end. That's part of what Gary was talking about.

Sorry to hear about your niece, and sorry to hear WN isn't up to your standards. But we don't try to be all things to everyone. However, considering we're doing better than the vast majority of airlines in this country, I'll venture to say that we're doing something right.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion as I am as well as others and with all due respect - there is no "shooting from the hip" on the technology issue that you utilize at SWA. In fact, you state clearly in your posting that SWA needs to do some catching up. Your statement sums up exactly what I already know to be factual. Enough said!

I think Southwest is a great airline with a great product. But they are definitely getting away from their business model that has lasted them 30+ years... going in to smaller outlying airports where costs are much cheaper than the big cities. Now instead of MHT its BOS, instead of ISP its LGA... soon they are gonna be just like the rest of us. The labor costs are already there. The only thing they really have going for them is that they have resisted the temptation to get more airplane models.

With the direction SWA is headed in, they are going to be the same as the rest of us in a few years. Mark my words.

You are dead on correct. The only way to stay in business is to grow. Their business model is complete. There are no more under served, profit producing markets. Now they get to compete just like everyone else, and hopefully with a new airplane type to boot. The adjustments are not going to be easy.

You guys are funny. Everyone's beating their chests about how my airline is better than your airline. Here's a news flash! All the airlines SUCK! The planes are packed, airline employees are numb to passengers' needs, you may or may not get to your destination on time if at all and the TSA is just icing on the cake. Business travelers don't want to ride on ANY airline. I've ridden on several different airlines over the past few years and can state with a clear conscience that not one of them has done anything to differentiate themselves from another. Mediocrity (at best) abounds. It's anywhere from a tolerable to miserable experience regardless.

Aside: I'd personally rather ride on a SWA 737 than a Delta or UAL RJ (I know they are not really DAL or UAL, but that's how the airlines brand them).

PS fflyerworld: For someone who will never set foot on a SWA plane, you seem to have a lot of insight. Do you hang around their gates and observe? You should hear what people say about YOUR airline!

Latest resources

Back