• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here it Comes, Gen...SWA To ATL!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only thing that scares me is the fact that every time I am in CA, and I am on a bus with them, they make our FA's look young! NO, I am not kidding.

SWA is great for what it is. I mean that. Business travelers hate em. They only use them when they have to by their corporate travel offices. I know. I have many friends that go crazy every time that is their only option.

FWIW, my father-in-law, no longer takes them. He lives in DFW and cannot stand them. He even takes AMR to AUS, and HOU. Business travelers what to work toward a perk, and getting to board first is not one they really care about. They want a seat assignment, awards that get them the good seats, and miles to burn for their vacations. After all who wants to go to BHM et al for vacation.

Your kidding right, it was a joke. Delta rapes its customers with ticket change fees and baggage fees. I know several business travelers who would rather drive two hours to take Southwest than drive across town and fly Delta. Redeeming frequent flyer miles, yeah right try going anywhere popular anytime during the year. Why Southwest, because they are friendly and passengers don't have to sweat like a pig in a slaughter house on a Delta (connection) regional jet. Remember 50 percent of Delta flying is done on a regional jet. Delta has alot of great qualities but customer service is not one of them. When was the last time Delta made the top 5 in a customer satisfaction survey. Why do people travel on them, because they go everywhere. Not because there are other options.

The first part was funny, but the second part I am dead serious.

SWA is to have plenty of gate access on the new international terminal which they will trade for the city gates on D. They will have as much of ATL as they want. I am sure of it. I say bring it on.
You will watch the cost per seat mile at DAL go down and quite quickly after SOC. I like having this many types of jets. That means we have the correct jet on the correct route. That will mean huge profits, and deeper pockets than we have today.

I also know that SWA and DAL are not dumb enough to try and kill each other. They will pick off other, not each other.

Read the article. It states that IF they buy Frontier, they MAY.

I know that SWA has plans to serve ATL in the 2012 time frame. Let em. I have talked to our boys and they are ready to fight. We are having a great time with them in MSP and SLC. Just watch it unfold.

SWA comes to ATL it will hurt AAI more than us.

Such a great time in MSP that you guys are eliminating 2 daily flights to MDW, and you're flying half full airplanes while I'm stuck sitting in the JS or fourth on WN flights. BTW, You'd be amazed how many MSP passengers express to me their excitement to have SWA in MSP during my commutes. Even Business travelers.

i cant wait because that means DAL will throw more mainline planes on routes in place of RJs to compete with SWA and Tranny, which means more mainline flying, bring it!!

btw~CRJ567 = d ouche nozzle

The first part was funny, but the second part I am dead serious.

SWA is to have plenty of gate access on the new international terminal which they will trade for the city gates on D. They will have as much of ATL as they want. I am sure of it. I say bring it on.
You will watch the cost per seat mile at DAL go down and quite quickly after SOC. I like having this many types of jets. That means we have the correct jet on the correct route. That will mean huge profits, and deeper pockets than we have today.

I also know that SWA and DAL are not dumb enough to try and kill each other. They will pick off other, not each other.

O.K.-

I will make this real simple. Looks like you could use help.

-Straight from the Q2 2009 balance sheets.

DAL had 59,029 (million) available seat miles, multiplied by 10.51 Cents per available seat/mile.

SWA had 19,683 (million) available seat miles, multiplied by 9.52 cents per available seat/mile.

Even though a penny CASM difference sound insignificant, just look at the available seat miles for comparison. Your operating costs are WAY WAY WAY higher overall. Your over-exposure to INTL routes ensures that there is really no way to compete effectively.

When SWA has less than half the total overhead, they can afford to give $59 fares, and they can totally kick your butt (just like UAL.) Swimming in KoolAid really won't help much when they roll into town.

-Those are big numbers. I don't think I would be yelling "bring it on" so loud, they may just hear you.

Read it again. I understand the law of multiplication. Really I do. I also know where we are projecting our costs per seat mile to be after we get done with this merger and stop taking the one time hits.
Do not read what I said, if you do not want to.

Wonder why. See our frequent from ATL? See the cities we have added to MSP. They are not MDW. They are cities that you connect your passengers to out of MDW. Big picture here. Take the MDW 39 dollar one way one leg passengers, that is not where you make your money. You make it on the multiple leg, multiple destinations ones. That are the ones that we have targeted and are getting.

Research about two to three layers inside the onion and see what is really going on. There is more to come.

Read it again. I understand the law of multiplication. Really I do. I also know where we are projecting our costs per seat mile to be after we get done with this merger and stop taking the one time hits.
Do not read what I said, if you do not want to.

Wonder why. See our frequent from ATL? See the cities we have added to MSP. They are not MDW. They are cities that you connect your passengers to out of MDW. Big picture here. Take the MDW 39 dollar one way one leg passengers, that is not where you make your money. You make it on the multiple leg, multiple destinations ones. That are the ones that we have targeted and are getting.

Research about two to three layers inside the onion and see what is really going on. There is more to come.

O.K.
So you really think that DAL's worldwide route structure can be priced equally with SWA's? So, umpteen different aircraft types, and routes all around the world, and there are no extra embedded expenses? SWA simply has a much more efficient cost structure. Multiplication will lead you a very large number, which should begin to cause large concern on your part.

-Well- you do buy that "synergy" crap hook-line-and-sinker, so that would indicate that you are a sucker. Suckers think that "one-time-charges" and "writeoffs" can account for such unfcomfortable discrepancies. It is obvious that you know very little about reading a balance sheet. The CASM difference is not going to be resolved by B.S. "synergies" or cost cutting measures of any kind. The extra costs are simply embedded in your type of operation-this is called a competitive advantage (for Southwest.)

If KoolAid consumption is all you know and all you wish to know, then I obviously cannot offer any help. I would probably stop peeling that onion if I were you... Tears are sure to follow.

i cant wait because that means DAL will throw more mainline planes on routes in place of RJs to compete with SWA and Tranny, which means more mainline flying, bring it!!

btw~CRJ567 = d ouche nozzle

I have no brilliant insight to add to this discussion other than to say that d ouche nozzle has quite possibly just surpassed f uck head in my swear word heirarchy. Nicely done.

On second thought, I do have insight to add (not brilliant insight, mind you). The topic of the evening is "Why does CRJ567 sit at his computer all day long looking for any news article that he can post with an anti-Delta spin??

Is it because:
a) He resents the fact that he works for a subcontractor and harbors ill will towards the company that ultimately signs his paycheck.

b) He actually works for SWA and is spearheading their quest for world domination (otherwise known as "All Roads lead to LBB"....)

c) He's 14 years old and he still has spare time between his MS Flight Sim virtual airline, his acne treatments, and his "special" time with the magazines he found under daddy's bed.

d) he's a d ouche nozzle (loved that one so much I had to use it twice!!!)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back