Hello all, thoughts and opinions needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you want it , it will happen

I just read your posting and I am glad that you are thinking of pursuing a flying career. One of the greatest inventions in world history has been the airplane which hasn't even reached its one hundredth birthday yet. To gain an appreciation for aviation and find out if aviation is for you I would suggest that you start researching aviation from its infancy. I know this sounds corny, but you find that the pioneers of yesteryear were faced with the same dilemmas that we as pilots battle with today. People thought that wilbur and orville were crazy and heavy-than-air flight would only remain a myth. Can you imagine what it was like to survive in the 1920's flying an old Curtiss Jenny into barns on a daily basis? I pursued aviation with a passion and I still haven't pursued a college education. When I became a flight instructor I was 19 and had started a family. I worked line service, mowed the airport lawn, was an A&P apprentice and instructed as part of the same job and I was pulling in a whopping $800 per month. Don't let the aviation industry doldrums get in your way of pursuing the best occupation that a person can attain. Just thinking about the ever expanding realm of aviation gets me giddy. With all of the uncertainties in todays life the adage "Take a leap of faith" still holds true. I can't tell you that everything will be hunky-dory once you pursuing a flying position , but I will tell you that aviation hasn't let me down yet. Good luck to you and I hope that you will pursue a flying career.

Go to your local airport and ask for an introductory flight. It's usually about 40 bucks and if you like it and don't puke, then continue your journey. Later.:)

FSIGRAD,

I attended ATP back in the summer of 1999 and still have nothing but good things to say about the program.

I will tell you now that every school out there including FSI can train their students in 95 days from their private. The only reason they do not is because they have to work in a college degree at the same time. It would be like telling students that they would spend their first 3 and a half years studying and only the last 95 days at the school flying, how much fun would that be!?!?

It was very difficult going through the program. Studying all of the time, not much time for personal things, and flying nearly every day. I know of a couple of people that could not keep up with the learning curve that is required, and they were removed from the program. If you don't learn fast and retain the info then you will not make it there. I personnaly found my college experience much easier than training at ATP. In college you have a long period of time to go over and learn the information required, and if you fail a class you can retake it. Well not ATP, learning fast is required, and if you fail to accomplish their standards you are gone.

Also to the post that asked how much experience you can attain from that short of time, well there was plenty. With their true cross country flights, a student can expect to fly from the west coast to the east coast or vice versa many times. I experienced diversions for fog, flight through t-storms, high altitude operations with trips to Colorado and the clear and a million trips. Although the weather at the common training facility may not change much on a day to day basis, when you get into aircraft where you can actually go somewhere, you will actually encounter some weather.

I definately reccommend the school to anyone who can handle it.

Latest resources

Back