"Substandard Pay:"

12th year Capt:

Airtran - $153

Continental - $144 (737-300/500)

United - $129 (A320/737)

US Airways - $125 (A320/737)

AWA - $138 (A320/757)

Jetblue - $139 (A320)

I had no idea the industry had gotten so bad. Those wages are shameful.

BBB

Fanatic,

I interviewed with Airtran in April 2003 and was turned down. It hurt like hell. I've since found a good job but I just wanted to say I'm really glad to see how happy you are and I understand how you feel because it's how I felt just to be selected to interview. Keep up the positive attitude and remember anything in life is what you make it. I'm sure you'll have a long and prosperous career at Airtran.

Stinkbug said:
Fanatic,

I interviewed with Airtran in April 2003 and was turned down. It hurt like hell. I've since found a good job but I just wanted to say I'm really glad to see how happy you are and I understand how you feel because it's how I felt just to be selected to interview.

If you are still interested, reapply. We have guys who have been hired recently that interviewed previously. If selected a second time, I would say the odds of getting shot down twice are pretty slim.

Airtran Fanatic said:
410Dude,

Thats exactly the kind of negative attitude im so glad to be getting away from. Everyone must do what is right for them. So if flying 747's across the Atlantic is what your looking for, then good luck with that. I really mean that. Thats not what Im looking for. If Airtran does that someday than great but if not, thats great too. Me, I found what I was looking for. I found my new home. I want to be more than just a # at the company I work for. Im happy to be a part of the Airtran "Family".

Congrats! check your PM's!

AF

AF,

Don't let some of these guys rain on your parade. It's typically sour grapes, as they are probably looking for a job.

You made comments that you will retire from Airtran. I don't know how old you are, but my advice to you is enjoy your career at AT, but don't have blinders on. Keep your logbook up to date, and have the attitude that your airline could close it's doors any day. Mine could as well. I spent 15 years at my last carrier, thinking I was going to retire from there. Suddenly I was on the street, with no retirement and a ton of worthless stock. Looking back, I realize I had blinders on and didn't know it.

Just my thoughts. You should do well at AT, and I wish you the best of luck, but always watch for the signs of things going downhill no matter where you work. When that happens, start applying elsewhere ASAP.

Have fun.

DW

jimcav & citrus531, thanks for the welcome aboard, look forwardard to meeting you guys!

Thanks AA Flyer!

Also looking forward to meeting the scwinging Czech pilot :D

Stinkbug, you have probably heard it a million times but NEVER GIVE UP. My plan if I didnt get hired at Airtran the first time was to see them again in 6 months and then again in another 6 months, you get the idea. It was apparant from the pep talk in the interview that they really wanted people who want to work for Airtran, not someone who is just using it as a stepping stone. Which was great because THAT WAS ME! Im sure it showed in my individual interviews. You sound like you really wanted to work there as well and are now discouraged from re-applying. Pride is a dangerous thing. Dont ever let anything stand in the way of your dreams. Good Luck!

Dogwood, you can believe me when i say I dont have any blinders on, and I dont think that Airtran pilots are walking around "High Fiving each other in the crewroom". But I do think all the Airtran pilots have a great deal of pride in their airline, and I want to be a part of that! Its sooo different from where I work now. I am very proud to have been selected. Im very realistic, and if you knew the regional I worked for you would understand why this is such a huge and exciting move for me. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post and wish me well. Especially in these times I know its dangerous. I had several friends at TWA, 1 at Vanguard, 1 at National, 2 at the old Midway and they all thought the same thing. So I know that anything can happen in the end. But as of right now I have faith that Airtran will be around for a very long time.

Thanks Everyone!!
Fanatic

Last edited:
Airtran Fanatic said:
jimcav & citrus531, thanks for the welcome aboard, look forwardard to meeting you guys!

Thanks AA Flyer!

Also looking forward to meeting the scwinging Czech pilot :D

Heh-heh . . . you'll know me by my many gold medallions and the way the foxes always try to sit next to me on the green couch in inflight.

I dont think that Airtran pilots are walking around "High Fiving each other in the crewroom".

Actually, we do, but only to fellow flightinfo.com guys . . . . it's part of our secret handshake.

But I do think all the Airtran pilots have a great deal of pride in their airline, and I want to be a part of that!

Right again. We've come a long way, and we continue to move forward . . . toward Contract 2005. . . . . !

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Fanatic and Ty Webb,

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually I did reapply, but never really pushed it and wasn't called for a second interview. I've been with a different company for two years now and think I've found my home, at least for the time being.

Yes, Maybe, Sometimes, Yes again, Every once and a while and ...don't worry about it. It'll all work out.

Congrats and welcome. Vwipe

Its nice to see a guy who's thrilled to be hired! Sounds like you wanted it for a long time and thats great that you made it. Don't let these bitter schmucks bug you, they'll never be as happy as you are right now no matter where they get hired. Good luck and I hope to be as happy as you when my SW decision board meets.

Latest resources

Back