• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hello Airtran! Thank You Lord!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That pilot that was fired over the LGA incident is now a 737 check airman. He was unaware of the legalities etc. during the time when he was a copilot during the incident you describe. Guess who paid his legal expenses? None other than a senior management (vp level) personally after he learned that this particular pilot was a good guy who was only trying to help and did not knowingly violate any regs. The company screwed up and a higher up learned of this and tried to fix this bad situation as best as possible spending a large chunk of change out of his own pocket since the pilot was not (i believe) eligable for union support being on probation.

That's the other side to that one story.

IAHERJ

hmmm. I never heard they hired him back. Last I heard he was selling furniture in the midwest. Sure would like to get in touch with him one of these days.

Well, good to hear they tried to make a bad situation better.

BenderGonzales said:
the AirTran "family" huh?

Is this the same AirTran "family" that chartered a Lear to get a copilot to LGA to fly a trip -- knowingly ran that pilot beyond his FAA flight/duty/rest limitations -- and then self disclosed to the FAA and fired the pilot?

The same AirTran "family" in 1998 when the Flight attendants were threatening CHAOS who took 8 seats out of the DC9's, got the FAA to approve operations with only 2 F/A's, cross trained gate agents as F/As?

The same AirTran "family" that hired about 20 people into a DC9 class in 1998, sat them on their butts for about 3 months after initial (before ever sending them to IOE) and then furloughed them for a mere 4 months prior to bringing them back?

AirTran is a good company now. No question about it. But it's no family. I doubt there are any airlines out there that are.

As you have already read from someone else, I would like to clear up about the incident you bring up:

That Pilot you reference is someone I know very well, and I won't go into all the dirty laundry about it.... but ultimately he was given Legal Counsel paid for by a senior AirTran VP within the company, got his job back, was awarded and honored as Employee of the Year a couple years ago, and is now a CheckAirman.

The other incidents that you bring up involving Pilots and Flight Attendants are by your admission is from 1998. This company today in 2005 doesn't even have the same Aircraft, Management, Route Structure, Pay Structure or even the same Employee Group Contracts from the time period you mention for your point. I realize these incidents are all you can reference because it is fact as you knew it .......in 1998. But these facts have no relevance to AirTran today in 2005. This airline isn't even the same airline from when I started.

You do however bring up a VERY valid point. That point is that this is NOT family. It is a business...period. This management is NO different than 90% of Capitalistic management in America. Their responsibility is to the BOD and that responsibility has one sole purpose.... return for investment (MAKE MONEY any way they can). If they didn't/don't we are all out of jobs...period.

That does not mean that Management in this company won't help you.... I've seen them bend over backwards to help employees.... and they can be very forgiving and generous..... but we make no mistake about it... this is a business.... not family.... as you pointed out so very accurately.

Well said.

Long post.... Deleted......

Welcome aboard folks... You will like it here !! the Green will grow on ya after a bit. Sorry ... no blue koolaid.

Have fun... enjoy... make it what you want. Our pilot group has a great opportunity to shape our work group the way we want. You decide.

You make a choice to look the other way on the concourse or say Hey ! You make a choice to treat the agent like crap or help.

You make the choice. Enough said. Naw.. we probably will never make big purple dough... If you want to sit around a concrete freight house with your little crew room lounge chairs in the middle of the nite.. go for it... You can maybe buy a bagel shop or something cool like that.... And make big money on bagels and creme cheese...

I want to be an airline pilot. I like people... (most days)

I like AirTran.... I'm happy and I will work hard to make it what I want it to be. Pay .. Benefits.. Schedule.. They are negotiated based on what the company can make. That would be why FREIGHT pays...

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome... all newbies. Have fun and help to make the airline what it needs to be. Oh yea.. Say hi in the hallway.. It will make you smile.

mnboyev said:
If you want to sit around a concrete freight house with your little crew room lounge chairs in the middle of the nite.. go for it...
I want to be an airline pilot. I like people...
You’ve got to be joking! Can you fit your ego in the cockpit?

I fly freight so I’m not an airline pilot? I flew pax for 8+ years. My blood pressure is a lot lower now.

Little crew room lounge chairs? LOL! That’s usually the first thing I tell people when they ask how I like UPS. “We’ve got great crew room lounge chairs! You don’t know what you’re missing!”

Thanks for the laugh!

CE

Latest resources

Back