• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
Fanatic--Congrats!
It's still my favorite airplane. You'll enjoy it.TC

If you're flying a G-V and the 717 is still your favorite, that's pretty high praise!

Or is it just your favorite airliner?

Of course, I would like to put in my two cents for the 737NG. A very fine Boeing product.

410dude said:
It's nice to know that you had set such a lofty goal of ONLY wanting to fly for Airtran. Congrats and hope that it makes YOU happy. It's amazing now how airlines like Airtan are suddenly places where pilots have been waiting their entire career to get on with. I for one, have a much loftier goal than Airtran. Back in the good ole days, people couldn't wait to leave Airtran for a "real" airline.

Moron.

Just interviewed

Fanatic, 180,

I just interviewed on thur. the 28th. Going crazy waiting to hear. I feel good about the interview, but I'm more nervous now.

PM me please, for a little peace of mind.

Ty Webb said:
Say "Hi" to your parents for us, when you log off and come up out of their basement, will ya?

Laughing out loud over that one.

Airtran Fanatic said:
...... I will retire from Airtran! ........
AF

Congrats,
I'm glad you're happy. I don't want to rain on your parade but...... I'll bet there are hundreds of dudes who were just as happy as you saying "I will retire from ______" Fill in the blank: Eastern, Braniff, Pan Am, etc.

If you're in the biz of flying passengers, keep your resume up to date. Good Luck.

I can't believe what I'm reading...you left out FedEx @ 201 & UPS @ 190. Things money can't buy...your own business, sitting home in your shorts @ 125K, making cash off of dumb airline pilots. The easiest job I've ever had... Priceless. I love you all! XOXO

This is not meant to criticize or insult. And I’m glad Airtran Fanatic is happy he’s got the job he’s been seeking. And not to encourage 410Dude, but I spent 8 years at a regional, many of which were during the “good” years. As I recall, from 1996 to early 2001 there were several people leaving each day for UAL, USAir, AA, DAL etc. I remember vividly a conversation that took place one day in the crew room in 1999 or 2000. Someone asked, “Does anyone know anybody who’s applied to Airtran?” No one did. That was then.

Again, I’m not trying to say that Airtran is a bad place to be. I’m simply saying that times HAVE changed, and along with changing times come changing attitudes and perceptions. We don’t fly for the same industry that we did during the “good” years.

I’ve been lucky enough to avoid furlough and have gotten on with the airline that I’ve always wanted to fly for as well (cargo), but I’ll offer the same advice that previous posters have offered. Don’t be so naive as to think Airtran is guaranteed to be around when you reach 60 (or possibly 65). This industry is about as stable as a house of cards on a windy day.

Congrats and good luck at Airtran :)

RO

Last edited:
the AirTran "family" huh?

Is this the same AirTran "family" that chartered a Lear to get a copilot to LGA to fly a trip -- knowingly ran that pilot beyond his FAA flight/duty/rest limitations -- and then self disclosed to the FAA and fired the pilot?

The same AirTran "family" in 1998 when the Flight attendants were threatening CHAOS who took 8 seats out of the DC9's, got the FAA to approve operations with only 2 F/A's, cross trained gate agents as F/As?

The same AirTran "family" that hired about 20 people into a DC9 class in 1998, sat them on their butts for about 3 months after initial (before ever sending them to IOE) and then furloughed them for a mere 4 months prior to bringing them back?

AirTran is a good company now. No question about it. But it's no family. I doubt there are any airlines out there that are.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back