Hawker XP question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PseudoName,

I think you misunderstood my comment. They were fired because they WOULDN'T take the aircraft to Europe with an INOP APU. The owner happened to mention the incident to a mechanic, who told him it was perfectly safe to fly the aircraft on a trip like that with an inop APU. So, now the owner thinks the pilots were screwing with him.

English said:
PseudoName,

I think you misunderstood my comment. They were fired because they WOULDN'T take the aircraft to Europe with an INOP APU. The owner happened to mention the incident to a mechanic, who told him it was perfectly safe to fly the aircraft on a trip like that with an inop APU. So, now the owner thinks the pilots were screwing with him.

Thanks English for correcting me. I guess I should know better than getting on flightinfo in the morning without first having the morning joe.

Where is this Hawker based.....I think the word needs to get out about this owner.

Wow, I'd say that's a bit harsh alright! Maybe there is more to it than we know. The MEL doesn't require the APU, I can tell you that much. There were a number of different APU's installed on the 800/800XP and only one of them, the Garrett -150/-150W is certified for use inflight. And even then, not all installations of that APU are approved for inflight use. Also some installations have STC's that only allow for emergency use inflight. I've only flown straight 800's so I can't say for sure but I believe all the XP's have the -150 or -150W installed and can be used inflight. So while not required, it might be nice to have or depending on what you consider safe, a must have. I'd guess that is something of a tough sell when other 800's don't even have the capability to operate their APU's inflight but you have to do what you think is right.

English said:
PseudoName,

The owner happened to mention the incident to a mechanic, who told him it was perfectly safe to fly the aircraft on a trip like that with an inop APU. So, now the owner thinks the pilots were screwing with him.

That's the first problem ...the mechanic is simply answering the question. Yes, it probably would be safe to make the flight from a mechanical standpoint.

The crew however, is thinking what if I lose a generator. Now I'm down to only one gen for the blue water op. The owner doesn't see the big picture. Personally, I would avoid this job, but that's my personal opinion.

Yep, it had red flag all over it to me, too.

As for the Hawker 800/XP APU's, the 800A's with the Solar APU can be used for emergencies only and the 800A's and 800XP's with the Garrett APU's can be used anytime you want although I think you have to get down pretty low for them to start (15,000 ft. comes to mind).

I hope that owner has a tough time finding another crew to screw over. One word comes to mind about your friend interviewing for that job....NEXT!!! I wouldn't even give that owner the time of day...imho.

h25b said:
As for the Hawker 800/XP APU's, the 800A's with the Solar APU can be used for emergencies only and the 800A's and 800XP's with the Garrett APU's can be used anytime you want although I think you have to get down pretty low for them to start (15,000 ft. comes to mind).

Just to correct it. It can be started below 20000ft and a inflight start is prohibited with a dual gen failure.

Latest resources

Back