Hawker XP question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

English

Please forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing about the Hawker XP.

Can one safely and legally fly the Hawker XP from the East Coast to Europe with an inoperative APU?

Safely? That's a matter of opinion. It would be nice to have that 3rd DC GEN if needed in flight, but that is just personal comfort level issue.
Legally? What does the MEL say?

I've never flown a Hawker, but from comments I hear from operators, they are a safe and reliable airplane. I personally would not make that flight, and if both Gens sign off over the Atlantic, you'll wish you didn't either. The chances/odds of that happeneing are in your favor though.

English said:

Can one safely and legally fly the Hawker XP from the East Coast to Europe with an inoperative APU?

English said:

simply a MEL question. Some A/C say no flight beyond 1hr distance from a suitable aiport with APU inop..

Heck, you can fly a 152 to Europe, just depends on your comfort level.

Now, why as a pax would you fly your Hawker to Europe when Virgin First Class is about 100X more comfy...thats the question...

Gulfstream 200 said:
Now, why as a pax would you fly your Hawker to Europe when Virgin First Class is about 100X more comfy...thats the question...

Why do they do half the things they do? They always amaze me. The owners of our 800XP have us flying empty at least 50% of the time. They think nothing of using the airplane to drop off an employee or family member somewhere, then fly home empty. They have us order hundreds of dollars of catering each flight and often don't even open the saran-wrap seal. Although we advise them of fuel prices they don't care, and think nothing of dropping over $4/gal in NY. Then when it comes to spending money on crew transportation or even their own they'll balk at spending $50/day instead of $32. Their world is very strange... I'll probably never "get" it.

Sounds about right...its the same everywhere.

Let them keep flying around, its our job and our paycheck I guess!

Who are we to ask questions!?

the MEL won't always have the answer. When it doesn't you will need to do some analysis and in the end- always leave yourself a out.

don't know much about the Hawker. No APU doesn't sound like a deal breaker though in usual situations. Have flown many times on other aircraft with APU inop. To Europe though?--i probably wouldn't want to start a trip in that condition nor would i fly across an ocean if it was part of my backup plan. What will an APU in a Hawker do for you? I don't know the answer to that question either.

Last edited:
My friend just interviewed for a position where the curent flight crew is being fired for not flying their aircraft to Europe because of an inop APU. Neither of us know anything about the Hawker so we are trying to determine if the owner is a reasonable person to work for. It seemed a little harsh to me that the owner was just outright firing both of his current crewmembers.

English said:
My friend just interviewed for a position where the curent flight crew is being fired for not flying their aircraft to Europe because of an inop APU. Neither of us know anything about the Hawker so we are trying to determine if the owner is a reasonable person to work for. It seemed a little harsh to me that the owner was just outright firing both of his current crewmembers.

thats about all one needs to know about that job. <<click>>

English said:

I hope those crew members are able to find other jobs quickly. Getting fired b/c of safety concerns (for themselves AND the owner) is a pretty raw deal.

Tell your friend to be careful.

Flying Illini said:
Getting fired b/c of safety concerns (for themselves AND the owner) is a pretty raw deal.

No it isn't. They got fired because they were stupid. The crew should know better than try to be a bunch of hot dogs going across the Atlantic with an inop APU. I know most owners would can their crew if they caught them flying the airplane in a condition that was unsafe.....I would if I was an owner!

Hawker XP APU provides power for electrical system and if need be, air conditioning for the cabin. Maybe I ask for too much, however, an operative APU for an Atlantic crossing is required equipment for me.

Latest resources

Back