• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually Aloha put Aloha out of business. Go was just in an opportunistic position to capitalize on it and frankly they failed miserably. It used to be AQ and HA split the inter -island market mostly in half. At one time AQ somewhat dominated with around 60%. Go has only gotten less than 10%. They even bought the other inter island carrier that started after AQ folded (I forget their name)who also had about a 10% market share. After Go bought them they should have kept their 10% plus the other airlines 10% to at least have had 20%. However, after buying the other carrier they still ended with less than 10%. Go has been a major failure and almost a nonentity over here. There is always about 10% of the market that just goes on anyone or can't get a seat when they want to go on HA. That's the 10% Go carries.

To be clear on your statement, Island Air, a true Hawaiian local air carrier for well over 30 years carries zero percent?

I think you have forgotten the simple fact that many pilots at AQ and HA all had their start at Island Air, which was an excellent step to being hired by either AQ or HA, a dream job for many local kids aspiring to be airline pilots one day.

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

To be clear on your statement, Island Air, a true Hawaiian local air carrier for well over 30 years carries zero percent?

I think you have forgotten the simple fact that many pilots at AQ and HA all had their start at Island Air, which was an excellent step to being hired by either AQ or HA, a dream job for many local kids aspiring to be airline pilots one day.

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

Point taken and I apologize! I was referring to the core inter-island flights like HNL to OGG LIH KOA etc. Island Air is certainly a significant inter-island carrier and very classy airline. They do get unsung relative to their long history. No offense meant.

Dan, please please please let some fall farther down the seniority list! ;) JFK is the only destination I haven't flown to on the 330 yet.

HAL

I'm guessing JFK's are going to go more junior starting in Dec but SYD's more senior..
:)

The only thing I fear if we were to go with a DAL merge/sale is (As a junior guy) being stuck on Res in JFK.... As it is I have to work a commute from PDX and that's not so bad for West Bound to HNL, but I sat enough JFK reserve (5 Towns) for two prior jobs and don't want to do anymore of that crap...

SLC, MSP, or anything West Coast I can live with..

The only thing I fear if we were to go with a DAL merge/sale is (As a junior guy) being stuck on Res in JFK.... As it is I have to work a commute from PDX and that's not so bad for West Bound to HNL, but I sat enough JFK reserve (5 Towns) for two prior jobs and don't want to do anymore of that crap...

SLC, MSP, or anything West Coast I can live with..

You won't be junior for long. We are going to hire probably another 80 next year and the same in 2014 from what I hear. We do have 10 more AirBuses coming in the next 2 years. If it were to happen I am sure it would be pretty far down the road. Hawaiian is making a lot of investments in the future that would indicate they plan on being a stand alone carrier for the time being.
The other thing you have going for you is "career expectations" are always used for meshing lists by any judge. The Hawaiian pilots all have either Inter-Island or Trans-Pac based in HNL (as well as a small SEA base that would be easily absorbed) as their career expectations as well as lot's of HNL expansion. DAL pilots are the ones with JFK as their "career expectations" and I am sure most of them would rather live on the East Coast and fly to Europe than uproot their families and move to Hawaii. I think you would be surprised how few DAL pilots actually would want a HNL domicile. Obviously there would be a few, but I think it is a safe bet the Hawaiian folks will keep plenty of Hawaii flying. Hell, I wouldn't mind commuting to fly out of JFK to Europe for a year or two and split my time between the East Coast and Hawaii. I'm guessing there would be enough Hawaiian pilots that would want to fly out of the mainland relative to the amount of DAL pilots that would want to go to Hawaii.
Bottom line is, there would be lot's of options and I don't think anyone would have to be forced into something they don't want, either DAL or HA if the two merged.

Last edited:
Point taken and I apologize! I was referring to the core inter-island flights like HNL to OGG LIH KOA etc. Island Air is certainly a significant inter-island carrier and very classy airline. They do get unsung relative to their long history. No offense meant.

Captain,

No offense taken, and as what I figured you meant, just clarifying.

I've enjoyed reading all your posts throughout the years, always accurate and informative, thank you.

In short, GO needs to leave Hawaii already.

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

No, GO needs to stay. They don't harm Hawaiian but their operation discourages someone who could from thinking about entering the market.

Correct, they don't harm Hawaiian, Hawaiian is solid, but GO harms and also possibly prevents other local carriers from expanding, and establishing itself as another inter-island legacy route carrier.

To clarify, are you more for the sustainability of GO, than the expansion of local carriers, who will hire the local kids who have been patiently waiting for a local airline pilot position?

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

Last edited:
To clarify, are you more for the sustainability of GO, than the expansion of local carriers, who will hire the local kids who have been patiently waiting for a local airline pilot position?

Respectfully,
slatsnfive
No, I'm not against the expansion of local carriers. If GO went away, it would open the door to someone like AE, Horizon, Allegaint, SWA, etc who could do it right and hurt Hawaiian. Then where would your local jobs go?

No, I'm not against the expansion of local carriers. If GO went away, it would open the door to someone like AE, Horizon, Allegaint, SWA, etc who could do it right and hurt Hawaiian. Then where would your local jobs go?

Is there not currently a local carrier in expansion mode, acquiring new additional aircraft, I believe first plane arrived last month?

Would be wise to support THAT local carrier, who immediately can fill the void if GO abruptly up and went. If there was no other airline expanding locally, then correct, Hawaiian would need GO in Hawaii to deter possible new entrants.

Read the article on the profitability of Hawaiian today, awesome, Hawaiian is untouchable, no other airline comes close to what they have to offer, none.

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

Latest resources

Back