• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so what you are saying is commuting is not allowed nor welcome at said airlines then? How do you explain the dozens that do it then?

Nowhere has anyone said that commuting is "not allowed nor welcome at said airlines." Pilots who live in base are more desirable. That is to say, pilots who don't live in base are less desirable. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is. I have heard from multiple management types that AS actively seeks out applicants who want to live in ANC, SoCal and the PNW. I'm sure a similar conversation happens at HA.

And how is this any different than the new hire who lives in Idaho at Delta getting JFK as his base? Really..

You really can't see the difference? The new hire Delta pilot has a fighting chance at getting a short, one-leg commute to SLC or SEA. If said pilot chooses to live in Idaho, pickings are slim for easy commutes. A pilot who doesn't live in base (HNL or ANC) will have a long commute from the lower 48. I'm willing to bet that most pilots who work for HA or AS, during their interview, either showed willingness to move to ANC or HNL or had a darn good explanation for how their commute would go if they planned to stay on the mainland.

Sounds more like someone is trying to justify a preference that really should not exist in the first place.

igneousy2, said "I think Alaska and Hawaiian like "local" pilots because they are least likely to up and leave...people that haven't lived in Alaska/Hawaii often, don't last very long." Most HR departments are looking for loyal pilots, who will bend over backwards for the company and won't leave in a few years if the going gets rough (I realize this type of pilot is few and far between).

Hawaiian has been hiring a lot for the last few years. They have clearly shown absolutely no bias against non local pilots. That said, being from Hawaii is certainly an additional qualification that helps and would add to the pilots desirability for al the reasons stated above. It's a plus and it should be, but we have hired from across the spectrum. I can say for sure Hawaiian does not frown upon commuters, but for many reasons, a pilot with strong local ties brings something extra to the job, but again, that's not to say non local pilots don't. Everyone they hire contributes in their own way and one is certainly not better than the other for Hawaiian. The reality is, we are going to hire several hundred pilots in the next few years, from all over.

Last edited:
The reality is, we are going to hire several hundred pilots in the next few years, from all over.

God I hope you're right Dan! I was looking at the retirement roster (based on age 65), and it's not very encouraging in terms of movement due to retirements! The pilots here are unusually young for such an old airline...

Took a look at retirements a few months ago.... Was something like 60 mandatory over the next five years. (roughly 10%) Doesn't include any early outs or Medical retirements.... It starts to increase slightly after that... To maybe 20 year.... I'm guessing in 10 years we'll see maybe 170-200 retirements? If they do hire another 200 pilots over the next few years.... Anyone on the list now should be near the 60% line within 10 years...IE: Very senior FO/very junior Captain

Took a look at retirements a few months ago.... Was something like 60 mandatory over the next five years. (roughly 10%) Doesn't include any early outs or Medical retirements.... It starts to increase slightly after that... To maybe 20 year.... I'm guessing in 10 years we'll see maybe 170-200 retirements? If they do hire another 200 pilots over the next few years.... Anyone on the list now should be near the 60% line within 10 years...IE: Very senior FO/very junior Captain

not bad actually for someone hired in their early 30's and even late 20's like in my class.... I'm a bit more "senior" shall we say... Timing is everything, my friend who was hired exactly a year ago is now 100 numbers senior to me... he'll likely see the left seat in 5 years at the rate we're moving (knocking on wood)..

I'd heard we're scaling back next years number from 100, to only 30 however which has me a bit worried...

HA25;2ood).. I'd heard we're scaling back next years number from 100 said:
I would take that one with a grain of salt. They are still getting 5 A330's next year and I believe that last "reduction" in the A330 bid was simply to correct for the fact that thy are planning more 767 flying next year.

I'd heard we're scaling back next years number from 100, to only 30 however which has me a bit worried...
The number I've been told in the last week by 2 management pilots is 80 to 100 new pilots next year. 5 new A-330s, retirements and the new rest rules means we need them. Plus I've been told by these same management pilots that we are only half way through our planned expansion and we should be at 1000 pilots in the next 3 1/2 to 4 years (from 650 now).

I've heard the same type of numbers (800-1000 pilots) in X amount of years.... I will add just for "accuracy sake" HAL is not quite up to 650 yet... getting closer, but still closer to 600... Maybe 650 alludes to what we will have by the end of this hiring cycle?

Either way, with such a comparitively small number of a/c and pilots.. A tiny tweak in deliveries/flights or routing, does seem to have a more instant effect on staffing compared to much larger companies... But with the quarterly reports and increase in service to destinations already served, it appears HAl is on a solid track thus far. And hopefully will be in the distant future!:beer:

I meant by the end of vacancy bid 12-02 which had us going to 651 pilots. I just saw 12-03 which reduced that to 636 but said it was a temporary reduction as they realign where the pilots are going (i.e less interisland, more 767 Captains, etc.) with the positions being added back next spring.

"B" told us 605 pilots on the list as of yesterday during our interviews. Plus 31 vacancies to fill as of the latest bid. Although not sure where they stand with offers out there and those awaiting phase III as of this week, like myself. Anyone know if they are running phase I and II next week? I heard things will be slowing down due to training backlog and holidays. Those who interviewed this week were told no more hiring this year but no news is good news for remainder of year. Good times ahead I hope !

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back