• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To clarify, are you more for the sustainability of GO, than the expansion of local carriers, who will hire the local kids who have been patiently waiting for a local airline pilot position?

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

I'm trying to understand why it's somehow a right for a "local" to get a local pilot job just because you are in Hawaii? This only seems to apply for the 49th and 50th state for some reason. I just don't get it...

Any other airline hires from all over the United States and people regularly relocate for jobs.. they hire the best qualified and quality candidates they can. Just because someone lives in Dallas, doesn't mean they're entitled to a job at Southwest or American... How is Hawaii any different? People can pay their dues, fly for various airlines and build experience all over the US then land a job with Hawaiian or anyone else for that matter... this is how aviation has been since the beginning, right?

I'm trying to understand why it's somehow a right for a "local" to get a local pilot job just because you are in Hawaii? This only seems to apply for the 49th and 50th state for some reason. I just don't get it...

Any other airline hires from all over the United States and people regularly relocate for jobs.. they hire the best qualified and quality candidates they can. Just because someone lives in Dallas, doesn't mean they're entitled to a job at Southwest or American... How is Hawaii any different? People can pay their dues, fly for various airlines and build experience all over the US then land a job with Hawaiian or anyone else for that matter... this is how aviation has been since the beginning, right?

You are absolutely correct, well stated.

Keep in mind, nowhere did I say it is a "right" for local kids in Hawaii to be hired in Hawaii first, and is most likely why "you don't get it." I merely said that there are many local kids that would love the opportunity to fly locally.

I know many who are at Hawaiian today living their dream, and also many at Aloha prior to 2008. They waited patiently, and we're eventually hired, in which I am very proud of them.

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

Slatsnfive,
I care about how Hawaiian is doing and what is best for Hawaiian. Hawaiian will soon be competing against your local carrier that is expanding with it's own turboprop subsidiary. It is not in our interest to help or encourage them. GO is just enough of a presence to keep a mainland airline from eyeing interisland. That helps us. Even our CEO has said this about GO. That's the bottom line, everything else is just mental masturbation.

Maybe it's because living in the 49th and 50th states is unique. I know at AS, we want to hire loyal pilots, and part of that loyalty stems from being a "local boy/girl." It seems, whenever we hire, we hire mostly pilots from the PNW. If we want to stop the churn at the bottom of the lists in ANC and LAX, we have to hire pilots from there or who are willing to commute/relocate to those bases.

From Alaska's point of view and I'm sure Hawaiian's, it's just easier to hire a familiar pilot who has experience living in their respective namesake states.

Slatsnfive,
I care about how Hawaiian is doing and what is best for Hawaiian. Hawaiian will soon be competing against your local carrier that is expanding with it's own turboprop subsidiary. It is not in our interest to help or encourage them. GO is just enough of a presence to keep a mainland airline from eyeing interisland. That helps us. Even our CEO has said this about GO. That's the bottom line, everything else is just mental masturbation.

Well stated, all good. And the last sentence, now THAT'S funny.

Take care,
slatsnfive

Maybe it's because living in the 49th and 50th states is unique. I know at AS, we want to hire loyal pilots, and part of that loyalty stems from being a "local boy/girl." It seems, whenever we hire, we hire mostly pilots from the PNW. If we want to stop the churn at the bottom of the lists in ANC and LAX, we have to hire pilots from there or who are willing to commute/relocate to those bases.

From Alaska's point of view and I'm sure Hawaiian's, it's just easier to hire a familiar pilot who has experience living in their respective namesake states.

Thank you. What you mentioned here is the simple fact I was merely attempting to point out with my statement.

Take care,
slatsnfive

Last edited:
I think Alaska and Hawaiian like "local" pilots because they are least likely to up and leave. Living in Hawaii or Alaska is not like living in most other places in the lower-48 and people that haven't lived in Alaska/Hawaii often, don't last very long.

I think Alaska and Hawaiian like "local" pilots because they are least likely to up and leave. Living in Hawaii or Alaska is not like living in most other places in the lower-48 and people that haven't lived in Alaska/Hawaii often, don't last very long.

Thank you. That was the point I was trying to make. A few people in this thread should ready your statement.

Take care,
slatsnfive

Last edited:

so what you are saying is commuting is not allowed nor welcome at said airlines then? How do you explain the dozens that do it then?

And how is this any different than the new hire who lives in Idaho at Delta getting JFK as his base? Really..

Sounds more like someone is trying to justify a preference that really should not exist in the first place.

Latest resources

Back