• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"B" told us 605 pilots on the list as of yesterday during our interviews.

this is true... 4 from the new class are just now starting on systems..

Did they tell you what they project to hire for next year as we presume you are all interviewing for 2013?

Did not get the exact number from him. Sorry. Let me ask a couple people from a different group and get back to you.

got thanks but no thanks for applying email a couple months ago. has there been anyone who got an interview but their current position was SIC? For me I have 2500 TPIC at a regional but have been an A320 FO with the PIC type the last 2 years. Wondering if thats a negative in the applying effort? Any news on when the application window will open again? All I can do is keep trying. Thanks

Keep trying. Despite many of our best efforts, we are as in the dark about pilot selection as you are. Each class has been a mixed bag of every "type"...

Just curious; how big is the SEA base? Will it grow?
What rough % of your pilots commute (either to HI from mainland or vice-versa)?
Thanks.

Thanks.

There are approximately two dozen pilots in SEA (total). SEA is the last of the mainland bases to remain open. As I understand it the reasons to keep it open have all but vanished and its only a matter of time before it closes. For the most part slots only open when someone retires/upgrades. I think most people there hold out to upgrade in base too.

Hoping for a SEA base shouldn't be one of your deciding factors.

Thanks. Is it a fair statement that more than 90% of Hawaii-based pilots live there?

It would have been before the massive hiring that began in 2008.. then with 300 or so pilots it likely was. I have personally run across a few commuters anecdotally and get the impression of the bottom 300, it's a good bit more than 10%... I also talked to a senior 767 captain who's running for middle of the pack MEC rep and he believes the company will eventually open up a west coast base.. the politics of how that will occur (whether initiated by the MEC or company) will be determined down the line.. Then I've come across others who think once SEA is gone (with the 767's), so will any other bases.

My suggestion is to plan to commute or live here... and IF they open a west coast base, that's just gravy. That's how I see it. But then I spent the vast majority of my career commuting and it doesn't bother me much.. I like the break from the kids and family stresses...

I highly doubt the SEA base would grow, as they would only staff it for the flights out of SEA, and I don't see more than 2 a day - the current number. As someone mentioned, probably more than 90% of our pilots lived in Hawaii pre-2008, but for now I think that number is probably down around 80%. We have commuters from all across the US, although the vast majority of them live on the west coast. It's really not a problem to commute from one of our cities to HNL. If lifestyle on the mainland is a big deal for you, it does work.

HAL

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back