• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My guess is DAL buys HAL by next summer.

Not second guessing you, but where does this rumor keep coming from? I have a Delta buddy (albiet a 4 year FO) who has said the same thing multiple times..... I somewhat understand the "logistics" of a Delta/HAL merger as it pertains to destinations, airframes etc, but is there an underlying reason that it would make sense for Delta to persue HAL?

HAL only has 40+ a/c and 600 pilots... I'd assume a merger/purchase would be a fairly "easy" process compared to mergers of much larger companies.. then again I just fly the damn things so I haven't a clue what goes on in the background!!!

HAL, thanks for the info. How long would it take to get SEA based?

Couple guys "snuck" in around 1 year seniority last vacancy bid... But remember there are only roughly 12 FO positions in Seattle. Many of those FO's could have easily upgraded to widebody but in HNL, not Seattle.. They choose QOL over the extra scratch...

IMO there could be a few FO's who do decide to go for the HNL upgrade, but I'd bet that any SEA position would be taken by someone already on the seniority list. In my class alone there are enough guys commuting from the mainland that could fill more than half of the SEA base.

I wouldn't plan on being based in SEA. If you were to get it within a few years that would be icing on the cake.

HAL, Thanks for all the great info !

Got a offer to interview later this month, still weighing the pro's and cons !

Never thought I would get a call, they must need pilots if they are calling me

They seem to interview lots of folks and offer few jobs. I'm guessing that may change in a couple of years when everyone is hiring. Hopefully you'll get the job. I would work hard for the interview and treat it like a vacation at the same time (if that's possible).

My guess is DAL buys HAL by next summer.

DAL pilots have been starting that rumor for years now. The reality is HA has a niche flying people to Hawaii as HAWAIIAN AIR. If you paint Delta on the side of the airplanes most of what has made HA successful goes away. In addition, Government still has a say in the matter. DAL would face the strongest possible opposition from Sen Inouye and all levels of state Government. They certainly don't want to have their inter-island airline run from a corporate headquarters in ATL by people that no nothing about Hawaii any more than they would want to see Hawaii's "flagship" airline go away along with all Hawaiian has planned for bringing new flights to Hawaii. You just have to follow the HND slot situation to define the difference between HA and DAL relative to the State of Hawaii. Hawaiian very good, DAL not so much.

DAL pilots have been starting that rumor for years now. The reality is HA has a niche flying people to Hawaii as HAWAIIAN AIR. If you paint Delta on the side of the airplanes most of what has made HA successful goes away. In addition, Government still has a say in the matter. DAL would face the strongest possible opposition from Sen Inouye and all levels of state Government. They certainly don't want to have their inter-island airline run from a corporate headquarters in ATL by people that no nothing about Hawaii any more than they would want to see Hawaii's "flagship" airline go away along with all Hawaiian has planned for bringing new flights to Hawaii. You just have to follow the HND slot situation to define the difference between HA and DAL relative to the State of Hawaii. Hawaiian very good, DAL not so much.

Dan, money talks. And if DL were to buy your airline, I doubt they would take flights out of Hawaii. You just never know, but the fleets sure do match. Also, SEA residents probably should also have a shot at HND, and not Kona. You have 17 flights a day from HNL to Kona, which means plenty of chances to connect. How do you connect from HND to SEA? You really can't. It's up to the Gov't I guess. SEA and LAX were the top two choices for DL in the first place, and they awarded DTW, which hasn't done well.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I think Deta or someone Delta sized will end up with Hawaiian eventually, but first I think their will be a tie up amongst smaller players. JetBlue/Hawaiian seems like it could be a very good fit.

I think Deta or someone Delta sized will end up with Hawaiian eventually, but first I think their will be a tie up amongst smaller players. JetBlue/Hawaiian seems like it could be a very good fit.

That may be, but I don't know what Hawaiian and JB have in common other than Hawaiian parking at JB's JFK terminal. I guess it could happen, but maybe Hawaiian will stay stand alone? That may be better for DL pilots so they can compete directly and keep flying Hawaii to US and INTL cities, instead of ceding them to those guys. I'd rather compete than lose routes. But, in the end, money does talk.

Bye Bye---General Lee

HAL, Thanks for all the great info !

Got a offer to interview later this month, still weighing the pro's and cons !

Never thought I would get a call, they must need pilots if they are calling me

They just interview a lot of applicants and only hire approximately 1 for every 20 interviewed. They play the #s game like SWA and are directed by a doctor on who makes a good pilot. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back