Hawaiian Re-fleet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog said:
I heard some rumors last week that Hawaiian was gonna make a big announcement.

I know they're in Chap 11 cuz Boeing wouldn't give concessions, but what do you mean by re-fleet? From where? What airplanes?

What I am hearing is HAL wants the 61 days to run out so they can buy used airplanes at pennies on the dollars that they are spending now. They don't care if Boeing re-negotiates or not. I will PM you more.

YEAH! Share the info with the boys, been waiting since yesterday for the bomb to drop....

Any clues on what they intend to use interisland? I heard those 717's aren't working out too well for them. I don't know what other narrowbodies could they use in this market. B737-300/400 apparently didn't work too well for Aloha in this market, but I heard Hawaiian is looking at -300's. Interisland is tough on newer airplanes.

The 717 is working out fine for us. Dunkerley said at a recent employee meeting that they expect interisland to start turning a profit by late summer. Try THAT with a 737-300; ain't gonna happen.

I really think all this is posturing by Boeing and HA. Once it is over, we'll still fly the same planes, and be out of bankruptcy by fall.

I even have hopes that everyone on furlough will be back by the end of the year or shortly after. Just looking at our crew disposition sheets for the last week shows me how short we are of pilots already. I think Jim & co. will be back soon.

HAL

HAL said:
The 717 is working out fine for us. Dunkerley said at a recent employee meeting that they expect interisland to start turning a profit by late summer.
HAL

How recently was that said by him?

got_jumpseat? said:
How recently was that said by him?

About two weeks ago - just before the bankruptcy filing. And yes, I'm sure he said that knowing we'd probably be in Ch. 11 soon.

HAL

Lets see, Dunkerly said two weeks ago interisland would be turning a profit soon.

That is an open statement up to interpretaion. What an easier way to turn a profit than to file Ch 11 and re-fleet with cheap MD-80's or DC9's. Well, depends on what Boeing does now I guess.

I can't imagine Hawaiian has furloughed 90 something pilots already! That is insane. How do the rest of you get any time off? I hope you are right HAL.

Easy way to turn a profit???

Just gotta ask...even if HAL re-fleets with 'cheap' MD's and the like, how easy will it be to turn a profit? AQ has been using 'cheap' leased aircraft for quite sometime and we have been having a tough time turning a profit.

My hope is that both carriers turn profits this summer and that the HAL guys get a fair shake. I keep hearing rumors of some big announcements coming out of both HAL and AQ, anyone have any info? No, not another merger or buyout, just announcements....

Don't anyone forget, Omni is gonna be launching 757 service out of here, Charter of course, starting June-ish...another low cost carrier for us to compete with....dang....

Latest resources

Back