• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HAWAIIAN Phase III invites

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our Inter -Island flying is all one day (no overnights), you either start early and get off around mid day or start around mid day and get off in the evening.
On the Trans-Pac side, if you go to the west coast it's one leg to the out and one leg home. Either 2 or 3 day trip. About mid seniority you can hold the trips that leave at noon and are home by noon the next day. Below that expect a mix of some red eye and longer west coast layover time. For instance, PHX you get in around midnight and don't leave till the second morning, you have a whole day there.
International usually involves a daylight trip out and a red eye home with time to rest and see the city you are in.
Finally Pago Pago and Tahiti are heavy crewed red eye turns that leave at about 5 pm and get back around 12 hours later.

Hawaiian is a very pleasant place to work to say the least, the vast majority are very happy here and the crews reflect the Aloha spirit quite well, it's a very comfortable and professional work environment. No merged lists, very little political infighting (we have had our moments in the past!). We are well compensated with an outstanding benefits package and industry leading retirement package. It's basically a golden era for us at present and we all just hope it continues.

The biggest fear is probably the threat of a merger (no offense to anyone we just don't want to merge!). My take is it's less likely because Hawaiian is successful because they are "Hawaiian Airlines" serving Hawaii. Passengers like that from a marketing standpoint and the minute you paint the name of someone else on the side of the airplane it's just another carrier to Hawaii. Our F/A's are legendary for their ability to spread the Aloha spirit, those are assets that would be lost in a merger and I think too valuable to squander. Also Hawaiian is the States largest employer, a merger would undermine that too.

Finally, that bid reflects a start for what we need. 4 Airbuses coming in the spring, it still is not the end. I'm told CEO came to ground school and said they will hire about 80 more next year. Our Asia flying looks promising HND is starting to bounce back I'm told by those flying it. Osaka in July looks very strong, apparently the demand could support 2 flights a day, but we are starting with 1. We are going to be announcing 3 new destinations, one on the East Coast in the near future.

The most common new hire position will probably be A330 F/O from what I can see. There is a core of folks that want to stay inter-island and same with the west coast 767 flying. That flying seems to be staying the same while future expansion will be A330 flying,

Good luck to all, we have hired a lot of outstanding people of late, the ex AQ guys are nothing short of great, between them and everyone else we have a lot of talent onboard for our expansion, they have come from all kinds of backgrounds, but the common denominator seems to be they are all pretty outstanding folks, with few exceptions, the general consensus is everyone is pretty impressed with the quality of new hires we are getting.
People have bashed HR and they do seem to be going overboard with the interview process and made the process too lengthy, but the bottom line is they are getting good people.

Last edited:
General,

The 767 and A330 pay the same. Right now the 767 has better trips and it's easier to get max pay with more days off. As more A330s come on property, it will change.

Also General, not sure if it was clear in my lenghty post, but inter-island is a mix of very junior and very senior, A core of folks really like the lifestyle and make less but never see a hotel room.

Thanks Dan, very informative. I will have to show your post to my wife. Is there a general area where a lot of Hawaiian airline pilots like to live? I have not lived on the Islands since the 90's and that was half on Schofield. I liked the smaller communities on the north shore, do they still exists?

Ahhhhhh....to never see another hotel room. Never wait for a van. Must be nice, so jealous. I have close on to 10,000. 7,000ish turbjne pic 121. What are my odds? I would give anything to get back to where i grew up!

Dan - Your positive attitude shows through your post. It's nice to know there are still positive people in the airline industry.

Also General, not sure if it was clear in my lenghty post, but inter-island is a mix of very junior and very senior, A core of folks really like the lifestyle and make less but never see a hotel room.

Thanks Jim and Dan. You guys really have a good operation over there. I wouldn't be lying if I said I wouldn't mind us all becoming "a bit closer", but I can understand why many wouldn't want that. You really do have a good thing going there, and a very identifiable brand. Good for you guys! Take care.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back