• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian and Aloha trying to merge again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AQ, HAL,...just sharing what I heard. If they're requesting manuals they've already asked about finance, maintenance, etc. They're asking about training too so a potential deal is well under way. Like any business deal, its not done until they sign on the dotted line. Who knows the reason but I've been led to believe it's part of another merger attempt.

Last edited:
All I have heard from my friends at AQ was that they still have open channels with Brenneman and anything is possible. A new merger? I seriously doubt it, put it this way I would bet money on it never happening.

My friends father is a 717 instructor for Boeing I shook that tree this morning and I will tell all if anything falls out. I will call a few buddies at AQ too. And I know exactly who can tell me whats reaallly happening.

Re: C'mon now HAL

AQ PILOT said:
My read on the 717 deal is that AQ wouldn't touch the airplanes. They didn't work for HAL and their wages and working conditions are about as cheap as they get.

The truth is that the 717's made money last winter, and will continue to do so through the summer too. The only problems we've had with them are some corrosion issues, and Boeing is handling that as we speak. It's a good, low-cost plane and perfect for the interisland market. The guys here love them, and so does our management.

I'm certainly not trying to dump on AQ guys - I know enough of you to understand your side of the fence too.

HAL

If anything, we're probably looking for some -200's in the mainland in case Hawaiian goes into liquidation. Anything else wouldn't fit the pattern....

---------

In other news...

http://www.alohaairlines.com/aq/pre...052417921,6460,

ALOHA TO OFFER DAILY SERVICE FROM RENO

HONOLULU— Aloha Airlines will begin daily service between Reno and Honolulu in July, making the picturesque northern Nevada resort city the eighth North American destination to enjoy Aloha’s award-winning service to Hawaii.

Aloha’s service from Honolulu to Reno will begin on July 1, 2003, pending final government approval. The inaugural flight from Reno to Honolulu will depart early the next morning and stop in Orange County, California.

Aloha already serves Las Vegas, Nevada, with two flights a day to the Islands, and now becomes the only airline to offer same-plane service between Reno and the 50th State.

“We are thrilled to be flying to Reno, making it easier and more enjoyable for travelers from there to visit Hawaii, and adding an exciting new destination for Hawaii’s people to explore,” said Glenn R. Zander, Aloha President and Chief Executive Officer.
To launch the new service, Aloha will offer an introductory fare of $399 round-trip, with certain fees and charges additional, for travel from July 1 through July 30, 2003. Seats at the introductory fare are limited and some restrictions apply.

The Reno-Lake Tahoe area is renowned for its spectacular natural beauty. With 20,000 guest rooms, the area attracts millions of visitors each year, who come for gaming, entertainment and outdoor adventure.

Flight 481 will depart from Reno/Tahoe International Airport at 7 a.m., arriving at Orange County’s John Wayne Airport in the heart of Southern California, at 8:20 a.m. The continuation of Flight 481 will depart Orange County at 9:10 a.m., and arrive at Honolulu’s traveler-friendly Interisland Terminal at 11:53 a.m. Flight 482 will depart daily from Honolulu at 12:25 p.m. and arrive at Orange County at 8:41 p.m. The flight continues on to Reno, departing at 9:25 p.m. and arriving at 10:45 p.m.

Aloha brought a new dimension to flying between the West Coast and Hawaii when it launched its first transpacific service on February 14, 2000, aboard quiet, comfortable Next Generation Boeing 737-700 aircraft.

While most airlines are cutting back on meals and amenities, Aloha continues to provide an enhanced level of inflight service.
Passsengers in First Class and Coach will savor Hawaii Regional Cuisine created by acclaimed Master Chef Alan Wong, whose Honolulu restaurant has been rated among the Top 10 restaurants in the nation by Gourmet magazine. Aloha’s Coach service also offers passengers a complimentary mai-tai cocktail, free headsets, movies and audio entertainment and warm, fresh-baked cookies with a glass of milk.
Aloha’s outstanding inflight service was recently recognized as the first place Diamond Award winner in international competition conducted by Onboard Services magazine.

Aloha also serves Oakland, Burbank and Sacramento, California; Phoenix, Arizona; and Vancouver, Canada. Aloha’s destinations in the Pacific include Rarotonga in the Cook Islands and Majuro in the Marshall Islands.

Aloha’s sister airline, Island Air, provides daily service between Honolulu and smaller airports on Maui, Molokai and Lanai. For more information, visit Aloha’s Web site on the Internet at www.alohaairlines.com.

Freight Dog,
Yes, that sounds more likely than the 717 rumor. For a lot of people's sake, lets hope none of the dire predictions come true, us furloughees return soon, and we can all enjoy life again.

P.S. So who do I send that resume to at AQ anyway? ;)

HAL said:
Freight Dog,
Yes, that sounds more likely than the 717 rumor. For a lot of people's sake, lets hope none of the dire predictions come true, us furloughees return soon, and we can all enjoy life again.

P.S. So who do I send that resume to at AQ anyway? ;)

My friends dad who is one of a few 717 instructors at Boeing was giddy with this rumor. He knew nothing of it. He thought it was hilarious. So, *IF* AQ did buy some 717 manuals it was probably out of sheer curiosity and nothing else yet or ever.

My other friend at AQ who truly knows all says he thinks HAL will totally make it out of this, lean and cometitive and able to kick AQ's ass all over Hawaii. Then again it is very possible they zig when they are supposed to zag and they drop the (now very slippery) ball and disappear overnight.

Bottom line I think the chance we see 717's at AQ or any kind of merger are slim to what the heck are you smoking?

This mornings Hon advertiser says;...

Attorney Brett Miller said the committee has received calls from three investors who said they are interested in acquiring or investing in Hawaiian Airlines, but only if John Adams, and companies he manages — Smith Management and Airline Investors Partnership — "are removed from the scene."

That could explain a few things eh?

I hope Hawaiian makes it through this because I would rather have an ALPA carrier to compete with interisland than some non-union start up or worse yet an RJ operator this time around.

Latest resources

Back