Hawaiian and Aloha trying to merge again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

corky

Looks like they're trying to merge again. Just heard Aloha plans to pick up Hawaiians 717 fleet and add a couple more. I wonder if they're going to make Aloha the inter island carrier and Hawaiian the long haul carrier??

This sounds like rumor control, I seriously doubt you will see something like this in the Wall Street Journal.

Thanks for sharing the rumor, some of us appreciate it..

Source is Boeing. Aloha Flight ops called requesting 717 FCOMS and stated they were considering picking up Hawaiians fleet.

Hmmm, now that makes it a bit juicier. I've heard this theory tossed out there a few times, some on this board also. It sure doesn't seem to make much sense, though. AQ is finally in a position to make a little money and I doubt they would want to take on the kind of debt HAL has by merging. I do know that AQ needs to replace the aging -200 fleet, but the 717 doesn't seem a very likely candidate for them. One person I know tossed out a theory I like: AQ buys more -700's and rotates them between interisland and long-haul, thus avoiding having an airframe stuck in the interisland market getting cycled to death. Who knows? It's sure to get more interesting, though.

737-700 is a little big for inter-island flying, which is probably why Aloha can kept the 737-200's.

From my understanding, the 700's are long range, but they are a short fuselage. Not sure what the capacity is. Sizewise they would be good for interisland and also good for long-haul.

More Sources???

Corky....how did you get the info from Boeing that Aloha was looking at their A/C? It seems kinda hard to believe that Boeing would be letting that kind of info out to the general public. Keep us informed of any info you get though!

Most definitely on pakalolo

Speaking from the other side of the fence, I'd say it is just a rumor, nothing more. C'mon, why in the world would AQ get a bunch of 717 manuals? If you were serious about getting our planes, wouldn't it make more sense to get financial information, maintenance information, and overall operation information before picking up some FCOM's? Do you really think Boeing would just ship the planes across the tarmac if they pulled them from us?

Today we just signed a lease agreement with Ansett, (and with ILFC last week) which means at least 11 767's are safe and ours. With two of the three lessors signed, I'd guess the pressure is really on with Boeing to sign or lose our business for the rest of the fleet.

Corky, Boeing is locked up tighter than my first girlfriend's legs. I live in Seattle, and know how security conscious they are about things like that. It also sounds like a perfect rumor for an AQ guy to start in order to dump all over us in retaliation for the failed merger. Yes, we did our share of gloating just after Brenneman & co. pulled out, and now the tables are turned. However, remember that this is a very cyclical business. If we get out of Ch 11 intact, we'll have a very low employee cost structure, low aircraft lease rates, and NO government backed loan to pay back.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to pass on rumors about the guys in trouble. Just remember that when they come back to bite. ;)

HAL

C'mon now HAL

C'mon now HAL, be fair! That was a cheap shot about an Aloha guy being the perfect one to start a rumor like this. Believe me, none of us are sore that the merger failed over here. Most of us feel terrible for your pilots right now. We think what is happening to you guys is criminal. I hope you understand that its your management that is doing this to you, not Aloha. Adams is not good for your well being!

It sure seems like everyone over there has it out for us Aloha guys. We wish you the best but give us a break!

My read on the 717 deal is that AQ wouldn't touch the airplanes. They didn't work for HAL and their wages and working conditions are about as cheap as they get. Boeing surely doesn't have to deal with Adams and HAL for the airline's business either. The 717's can find other homes and the 767's are going to be good long term leaseable aircraft. Granted short term its gonna hurt Boeing a bit, but I don't see it being a true earth shattering deal for Boeing.

I think HUGH might be on to something, I know that we have already been integrating the -700's in to our interisland flying when need be. The birds are cheap right now. We gonna buy a few more? Wish I knew! I know Aloha is slated to have a banner year and at least that makes me feel good. Keep the info coming corky, and if you are an Aloha pilot, you're a terrible person for wanting to dump on HA!

Latest resources

Back