Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian Adding A321 Neos? Didn't See That One Coming...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The more Hawaiian grows the more Hawaiians route structure doesn't mesh with a mainland carrier. It would be a huge business decision for any airline to decide it wants a hub in HNL. Our business plan doesn't fit well with anyone.
If you merged Hawaiian into any other airline, most of what makes them successful would be gone. Passengers like Hawaiian because it's HAWAIIAN. Local Flight Attendants that are head and shoulders above the competition and an authentic Hawaiian atmosphere on board. We even have decent free food in coach. There would also be strong opposition politically. Hawaiian is a major employer in Hawaii and has tremendous growth planned that will benefit the State of Hawaii immensely, allowing that to disappear into a mainland airline and be lost. Not to mention no body in Hawaii wants it's inter-island transportation dependent on some mainland company to be the provider.
...and I'm just getting started!:)

Money talks $$$

I could see UAL making good use of a HNL hub. They already route a lot of their GUM traffic through HNL.

The more Hawaiian grows the more Hawaiians route structure doesn't mesh with a mainland carrier. It would be a huge business decision for any airline to decide it wants a hub in HNL. Our business plan doesn't fit well with anyone.
If you merged Hawaiian into any other airline, most of what makes them successful would be gone. Passengers like Hawaiian because it's HAWAIIAN. Local Flight Attendants that are head and shoulders above the competition and an authentic Hawaiian atmosphere on board. We even have decent free food in coach. There would also be strong opposition politically. Hawaiian is a major employer in Hawaii and has tremendous growth planned that will benefit the State of Hawaii immensely, allowing that to disappear into a mainland airline and be lost would be a tough sell. Not to mention nobody in Hawaii wants it's inter-island transportation dependent on some mainland company to be the provider.

You mean your passengers wouldn't like the really old, fat, crotchety, cat-farming Delta stews? :D:laugh:

Money talks $$$

I could see UAL making good use of a HNL hub. They already route a lot of their GUM traffic through HNL.

Your right that money talks, but people have been spreading rumors like that for years. Believe it or not, even AK pilots started that rumor once! As if AK management thinks they need an AirBus hub in Hawaii when their business plan calls for flying AK passengers to all the islands from all their mainland destinations. Hawaiian works as a stand alone carrier serving Hawaii, someone like UAL trying to buy it would have so much opposition locally and politically it would be ridiculous.

If you merged Hawaiian into any other airline, most of what makes them successful would be gone. Passengers like Hawaiian because it's HAWAIIAN. Local Flight Attendants that are head and shoulders above the competition and an authentic Hawaiian atmosphere on board. We even have decent free food in coach. There would also be strong opposition politically. Hawaiian is a major employer in Hawaii and has tremendous growth planned that will benefit the State of Hawaii immensely, allowing that to disappear into a mainland airline and be lost would be a tough sell. Not to mention nobody in Hawaii wants it's inter-island transportation dependent on some mainland company to be the provider.

If there is not a local carrier the "hawaiians" will look for the best price.

Sorry, white man may take over your island ......again.

Have you seen your interisland fares lately?? The people of Hawaii would welcome anyone who will reduce fares. That's just the fact, Hawaiiana or not

They have in fact, negotiated a pay scale and work rules for that, it's being presented to the pilot group now and being voted on. Before you ask I'll wait till the vote is over. But it seems fair, not concessionary, just more growth and good pay rates..

I think someone at Boeing is having one giant HAL hangover seeing HAL go all BUS after their BK deal back yonder.....

Just to expand on it. Do you really think UAL would want a hub in HNL that would add a bunch of new cities as non stop destinations to Hawaii? We'll be adding cities like Orange County. CO didn't do well there at all, yet Aloha killed it in that market. That's what I mean about the difference between a mainland carrier flying a route and a local carrier that specializes in flying people to Hawaii.

Have you seen your interisland fares lately?? The people of Hawaii would welcome anyone who will reduce fares. That's just the fact, Hawaiiana or not

How bout developing a high speed ferry for inter-island use..... oh yeah they had that and ran it out of town on rails with botched political shenanigary..... Trust me, airfares are RIGHT where the powers to be want them to be... they in fact don't want Hawaiians to travel between their islands.... too much "tourism and traffic".
LUV

They are actually cheaper than an average SWA flight of the same stage length. Mesa/Go came over here touting CHEAP INTER-ISLAND tickets and fell flat on their face.
That said you're right inter-island tickets are a big political hot potato, but Hawaiian merging into a mainland carrier would reduce service and increase ticket prices. That's one of my reasons for saying it would be a hard sell politically.

Latest resources

Back