Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian Adding A321 Neos? Didn't See That One Coming...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

This is pretty interesting. I had read that Aer Lingus was also looking at the A321 NEO for Transatlantic service - it has the range with the new engines. Although not much information, sounds like these airplanes would not replace intra-island 717s but instead supplement existing flights to the West Coast - am I reading that right? Would they replace the older 767s? Probably also a response to Alaska's expansion to Hawaii from mid-sized West Coast cities.

Also interesting that Hawaiian still intends to order the A350-800 (smallest version) despite the fact that most A350s are now being converted to the 900 and 1000 series - very few 800 orders remaining.

See article below:

Hawaiian Airlines intends to buy at least 16 Airbus A321neos to be delivered between 2017 and 2020.

The memorandum of understanding, valued at $2.8 billion at list prices, commits the carrier to buy as many as 25 A321neos, including potential orders for 16 and purchase rights for a further nine aircraft.

Hawaiian plans to configure the twinjet in a two-class layout with 190 seats.

The A321neo, which boasts a range of 3,650nm (6,750km), appears to open markets for Hawaiian slightly beyond the US Pacific Coast. Hawaiian also operates 18 123-seat Boeing 717-200s on routes within the Hawaiian islands.

The latest commitment, if finalised, adds to Hawaiian's growing backlog of Airbus orders. The carrier is already phasing out its fleet of 16 Boeing 767s with 22 A330-200s, including nine already delivered, and six A350-800s.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/hawaiian-signs-mou-for-16-a321neos-380720/

Last edited:
I guess since Boeing doesn't offer the 757 anymore, this was the next best thing. Definitely looks like a shot across the bow at Alaska and eventually Southwest once we receive the MAX in 2017.

Some additional info about the A321 Neos....

Looks like Hawaiian will add frequencies to their existing route structure on the West Coast using the A321s according to this update to the original story:

Hawaiian Airlines (Honolulu) today announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with airframe manufacturer Airbus to acquire 16 new A321neo aircraft between 2017 and 2020, with rights to purchase an additional nine aircraft.

The long-range, single-aisle aircraft will complement Hawaiian’s existing fleet of wide-body, twin-aisle aircraft used for long-haul flying between Hawai’i and the U.S. West Coast.

“Everyone at Hawaiian wants us to keep our position as the market leader in service quality, cost efficiency and choice of destinations. Ordering the A321neo will secure this legacy on routes to the U.S. West Coast beyond the middle of this decade,” said Mark Dunkerley, president and CEO of Hawaiian Airlines. “The A321neo will be the most fuel-efficient aircraft of its type after its introduction in 2016. With its slightly smaller size we’ll be able to open new markets that are not viable for wide-body service, while also being able to augment service on existing routes to the West Coast of North America.”

At 146-feet-long, the A321neo will seat approximately 190 passengers in a two-class configuration (First and Coach) and has a range of 3,650 nautical miles. The aircraft will offer the more comfortable seat widths found in the twin-aisle Airbus A330. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, however, the aircraft have a total list-price value of approximately $2.8 billion if all of the purchase rights are exercised.
The new acquisitions are also contingent upon Hawaiian signing new agreements with its pilots and flight attendant unions covering operation of the new aircraft type. If new agreements are reached, the fleet expansion is expected to generate roughly 1,000 additional jobs at Hawaiian.

“This is a significant investment in the future of both Hawaiian and Hawai’i. Our tourism-based economy and local employment will benefit as we continue our strategy of diversifying our business while improving the efficiency of our operation,” Dunkerley commented.

“We have come to think of Hawaiian Airlines as ‘ohana’ (family) and are very pleased to add yet another branch to our tree with this pending expansion of the Hawaiian Airbus fleet,” said John Leahy, Airbus chief operating officer, customers. “Hawaiian has gotten great results with their A330s. The passengers, the employees and the accountants for the airline all recognize the advantages of Airbus aircraft, and now they will benefit even further by flying the most popular single-aisle family in the sky.”
Hawaiian currently operates a fleet of 43 aircraft, comprised of 25 wide-body, long-haul aircraft (294-seat Airbus A330-200 aircraft and 264-seat Boeing 767-300 ER aircraft), and 18 narrow-body 123-seat Boeing 717-200 aircraft for Neighbor Island flights.

Hawaiian’s existing orders include an additional 13 new A330s between 2013 and 2015, and six next-generation, longer-range A350XWB-800 aircraft starting in 2017. The existing fleet of 16 Boeing 767s will phase out over the next 10 years.

Image: Hawaiian Airlines.
Hawaiian Airlines: http://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=15434758&AlbumKey=6fcqqg

I guess since Boeing doesn't offer the 757 anymore, this was the next best thing. Definitely looks like a shot across the bow at Alaska and eventually Southwest once we receive the MAX in 2017.

Yes and no. The mainland carriers fly out of their hubs to Hawaii. Our hub is in Hawaii. We rely less on mainland feed and more on providing direct service too Hawaii. Hawaiian flies to cities that they can fill a widebody with people that want to go to Hawaii, whereas mainland carriers generally fly out of cities they can feed themselves from. Our wide bodies currently have the lowest seat mile costs to the west coast. The NEO's will be lower and open a lot more cities as being feasible for a non stop Hawaiian Air Flt that currently can't support a widebody flight.

Bets on a follow up order for A319s for an intra-island replacement for the 717s?

Bets on a follow up order for A319s for an intra-island replacement for the 717s?

They have in fact, negotiated a pay scale and work rules for that, it's being presented to the pilot group now and being voted on. Before you ask I'll wait till the vote is over. But it seems fair, not concessionary, just more growth and good pay rates..

I they are not careful they are gonna get themselves bought.

Once this AA/US stuff gets settled I could see a battle for the west coast starting up. Fast forward another few years and DL buys AS, UA buys HA, AA stuck with their joystick in their hands.

The more Hawaiian grows the more Hawaiians route structure doesn't mesh with a mainland carrier. It would be a huge business decision for any airline to decide it wants a hub in HNL. Our business plan doesn't fit well with anyone.
If you merged Hawaiian into any other airline, most of what makes them successful would be gone. Passengers like Hawaiian because it's HAWAIIAN. Local Flight Attendants that are head and shoulders above the competition and an authentic Hawaiian atmosphere on board. We even have decent free food in coach. There would also be strong opposition politically. Hawaiian is a major employer in Hawaii and has tremendous growth planned that will benefit the State of Hawaii immensely, allowing that to disappear into a mainland airline and be lost would be a tough sell. Not to mention nobody in Hawaii wants it's inter-island transportation dependent on some mainland company to be the provider.
...and I'm just getting started!:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back