Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian Adding A321 Neos? Didn't See That One Coming...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting enough, turns out that is exactly the difference with the NEO. The question was asked at the meeting I just went too about when the airplane would be available. The answer was they only are changing the wing and the engines so they didn't expect any delays. You get an A in aerodynamics!

I think cbrown was implying they need to put a *bigger* wing on it. AFAIK the only significant change the A321neo brings aerodynamically is the addition of "sharklets".

I have seen range projections from 3,450nm to 3,650nm for the A321neo. It is enough to reach the West Coast which is obviously what they are going for.

EDIT: just read n757st 's comment and while he estimates 3100nm realistic for the neo, that's still more than enough. HNL-LAX is 2221nm direct distance and HNL-SFO is only 2084nm. Seattle is 2326nm.

Last edited:
Whatever the numbers may or may not be.. I'm sure someone at Hawaiian has looked at them, conferred with Airbus, and decided it was atleast doable... I doubt they agreed to buy the a/c without doing one bit of research on the stage length in mind:rolleyes:

The deliveries would still be a few years down the road, hopefully it all pans out.

Whatever the numbers may or may not be.. I'm sure someone at Hawaiian has looked at them, conferred with Airbus, and decided it was atleast doable... I doubt they agreed to buy the a/c without doing one bit of research on the stage length in mind:rolleyes:

The deliveries would still be a few years down the road, hopefully it all pans out.

I went to the briefing and they had all the numbers and they worked fine for anything we would use it for. Full load out of OGG and LIH. It was discussed in detail and in fact we have it guaranteed in the deal. If it didn't perform as advertised we get a full refund. They had the numbers for the the Boeings from Boeing. The 737 900 can only carry an 84% load factor out of OGG and about 72% out of LIH. In other words the 737 900 ER is not a viable airplane for Hawaii. 800 works 900 doesn't.

Good question!!

+1 The Airbus deal according to all the analysts seems to be getting two thumbs up. We just reported 10% increase in traffic.
It could be profit taking as it traded very heavy after a run up.

If you like conspiracy theories, I read somewhere that Merril Lynch posted a downgrade. The way they did it smells of stock manipulation. Who knows. The company is doing very well, nothing has changed except a solid plan for profitable growth has been introduced.

I went to the briefing and they had all the numbers and they worked fine for anything we would use it for. Full load out of OGG and LIH. It was discussed in detail and in fact we have it guaranteed in the deal. If it didn't perform as advertised we get a full refund. They had the numbers for the the Boeings from Boeing. The 737 900 can only carry an 84% load factor out of OGG and about 72% out of LIH. In other words the 737 900 ER is not a viable airplane for Hawaii. 800 works 900 doesn't.

Hey Dan
Could you post those numbers on the 321neo - the standard 321-200 is very under powered at hot temps and high gw.

Metrojet

Just to clarify, are you speaking of the 737NG's or the MAX's. I know the 900 NG's definetly won't work for all the Hawaii markets, I was wondering if an analysis was done on the MAX's. I don't know if it even makes a difference at all.

Just to clarify, are you speaking of the 737NG's or the MAX's. I know the 900 NG's definetly won't work for all the Hawaii markets, I was wondering if an analysis was done on the MAX's. I don't know if it even makes a difference at all.

It was for the Max. The numbers are from what Boeing presented to us.

Hey Dan
Could you post those numbers on the 321neo - the standard 321-200 is very under powered at hot temps and high gw.

Metrojet

Sorry, it was a slide show so I can't give you the exact figures. But it out performed the 737 900 max pretty easily. It sounds like the new motors and wing change should address that.

Sorry, it was a slide show so I can't give you the exact figures. But it out performed the 737 900 max pretty easily. It sounds like the new motors and wing change should address that.

Dan,

From what I understand the planes presented were 737-700, -800, and -900. The -900 is not the 737Max. The Max family are numbered 737-7, 737-8 and 737-9. Was there some mix up in the presentation?

Latest resources

Back