• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Having pioneered the abuse of ALPA merger policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's a good point I hadn't considered Chairman. I have no dog in this fight, and I'm not too familiar with all the TPA details, just know that those guys were supposed to be hired around 2006/07. Not sure why they have 2011 dates on the list though.

These two are a huge deal because of LOA 25 if 1 furloughed pilot goes below them as longevity it tied to the cal pilot above you. Right now everyone is on 6th year pay next month it could be reduced to 9/27/2011... It does matter

All I am saying is this list will be revamped many times. It's too early to get wrapped around the axle now.

Here's my take.

CAL proposal pisses off UAL pilots.
In May, UAL proposal pisses off CAL pilots..........

In August, ARBITRATORS' DECISION pisses everyone off.

Explain to me how we are going for a homerun? I frankly do not even understand what the exact end play it is that our SLI methodology would produce. CA to CA, FO to FO integration? I think that means we use our total CA and FO numbers, and then integrate separately pilots from the two seats at the two airlines. Seems to me it anchors the top and bottom and puts some play in the middle. Remember the top of the CAL list is senior in all respects to all but a handful of UAL pilots. So the top several hundred should be 90% CAL if we use merger policy.

But UAL wants us fenced off their airplanes and fenced out of their hubs. They want to keep what they feel they brought to the merger, and they want to take what we brought. Typical UAL; They've been that way forever.

Yes kinda like you want to staple all the UAL furloughed guys below you. CAL had 20 767s and 14 777's compared to UAL's 24 747s 52 777s and 35 767s. Yeah I can see a fence. Typical greedy CAL pilots. But then again some of you "saved the company."

There are some key differences in these two mergers. For starters, the furloughed pilots from mesaba had all been recalled prior to SLI (much as the cal furloughs have been recalled). Second, there were relative few furloghed pilots at mesaba, all of whom were working for the carrier that had a superior contract in terms of work rules and pay.

In the cal/ual situation, you have a handful of ual furloughs that have been recalled (all in the previous few months), with we'll over 1300 (20%) still on furlough. On the call side, all of the 147 furloughs were recalled over two years ago and an additional 500 +\- new hires brought in. It's apples and oranges.

You do realize the 147 plus the additional 500 were re-hired/hired after the MAD? I find it unlikely that the arbitrators will allow three years of growth on one side to be credited to only that one side.

We are just along for the ride. Interesting to discuss, but in the end we obviously have no inputs.

From what I have seen as an outsider, most of the posts regarding the merger on multiple internet forums have been started by United pilots. It all seems a bit desperate. I envision a cornered rat every time I see a new post about the SIL or how the furloughed guys are not going to be stapled. Just my $.02. I hope it all works out and I can't wait to be flying at United in a few years. Cheers!

Yes kinda like you want to staple all the UAL furloughed guys below you. CAL had 20 767s and 14 777's compared to UAL's 24 747s 52 777s and 35 767s. Yeah I can see a fence. Typical greedy CAL pilots. But then again some of you "saved the company."

There would be no way for you to know this, but when I wrote that I was expecting something more moderate. I am surprised by our proposal. My guess is that it's become obvious a windfall can't be avoided and we had to swing for the fence. (literally and figuratively) No way to know what's going to happen. It's going to be real hard to put the middle of this list together. Should a matter of months longevity put a UAL pilot in front of a CAL pilot when the other factors put them thousands of numbers apart? I'm sure your answer is: of course! My thought on that, and the reason I started this thread, you ought not get any better consideration of your longevity than you have given others in the past. Think about that.

I don't want to lose, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to win either at this point. This whole process is broken.

From what I have seen as an outsider, most of the posts regarding the merger on multiple internet forums have been started by United pilots. It all seems a bit desperate. I envision a cornered rat every time I see a new post about the SIL or how the furloughed guys are not going to be stapled. Just my $.02. I hope it all works out and I can't wait to be flying at United in a few years. Cheers!

Be sure to mention UAL pilots as cornered rats in your interview. It will make things go much smoother, I promise!

So where exactly do you expect the furloughed guys to be put? You can't certainly expect a furloughed pilot to be put on a list ahead of an active pilot regardless of hire date.

So where exactly do you expect the furloughed guys to be put? You can't certainly expect a furloughed pilot to be put on a list ahead of an active pilot regardless of hire date.

CAL put there furloughed pilots ahead of line holding 747 FO's so I guess they don't have an issue with it!

Latest resources

Back