• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Having pioneered the abuse of ALPA merger policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flopgut, this is the last chance for a lot of United pilots to get a career do-over. To date, their bottom third's careers haven't lived up to the "career expectations" they were sold as new hires. They were convinced they were the Gods of aviation, and the thought of a fair integration with the likes of a Continental just sickens them. Their goal is to grab as much seniority as possible out of this and make up for lost time. Can anyone honestly say, that if CAL had 1400 furloughees at the time of the merger that any version of a UAL SLI proposal would include placing furloughed pilots ahead of active pilots?

My version of a fair integration is irrelevant; I am prepared to accept whatever gets arbitrated. Unfortunately, the UAL SLI expectations are so out of whack with fairness and reality they can only be disappointed with the outcome. I don't know if it's true, but is UAL already assessing money to challenge the arbitration? If so, that should tell you something.

Unfortunately UAL decided to shrink prior to this merger. 733s were parked, and lots of furloughs resulted. That sucks. Was that due to an upcoming merger? Nobody really knows. Was that the fault of the CAL pilots? CAL is growing, UAL was shrinking. Was it because one was cheaper? Both had crappy contracts. The arbitrators will have to hear testimony, look at documents, look at ALPA merger policies, and come up with an award, and an explanation. But, look at USAir has an idea what could happen. NIC looked at longevity, and it didn't seem to matter much. He looked at what each company brought to the table at the ANNOUNCEMENT of the merger. If you were the bottom guy at the time, regardless of your experience, you are still regarded the BOTTOM. It is what it is. Maybe they will change things slightly, but I doubt it. You never HAVE to stay at an airline. I know a friend that was furloughed at UAL after 9-11 and went to CAL in 05. Where should he go? Back to the UAL list, or stay on the CAL side because he made the decision to try somewhere else? Tough regardless.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So blatantly ignorant of their own past behavior, the UAL SLI opener even cites the Continental merger of (what remained of) Frontier multiple times!! Really? After you took the 737s and their Denver base and gave not one of them a job, you think you ought to be able to hold up how they were eventually treated in SLI as an example?

I would like to hear a LUAL pilot tell us all: Why do you deserve merger policy? Why does your longevity matter?

Why does longevity matter?

It really doesn't matter what I (or you) think. Longevity WILL be considered by the arbitrators and we all are just gonna live with it.

I will make a prediction though. There will be not be the staple job CAL dreams of.

Feel free to save this post and repost in Septemebr.

Cheers mate.

And yes the 05 hire CAL guys are at the bottom in EWR, but of the 737... in the left seat.

Not exactly accurate. The bottom Captain in Newark on the 757/767 is a 2005 hire. On the 737, they are Captains in IAH, EWR, CLE, ORD, DEN, LAX, and Guam. 2005 Captains are as high as 86% in some bases, which is well above the 90% G-line which means they are line holders. Junior 737 Captain might even be a 2007 hire, I would have to check.

For those that want to believe that Captain goes artificially junior at CAL, the junior staffed Captain for both CAL and UAL is 66% system seniority for March. The only difference is when that pilot at 66% was hired.

This can really turn into a mess, if only there was a way that pilots could be listed that did not rely on who's lawyer made a better argument that day. Perhaps a way that would be known to all pilots before going in, but I know something like that is just a pipe dream, and doesn't stand up to arguments like "my plane is bigger than yours" and "my company made more than yours last quarter".

Not exactly accurate. The bottom Captain in Newark on the 757/767 is a 2005 hire. On the 737, they are Captains in IAH, EWR, CLE, ORD, DEN, LAX, and Guam. 2005 Captains are as high as 86% in some bases, which is well above the 90% G-line which means they are line holders. Junior 737 Captain might even be a 2007 hire, I would have to check.

For those that want to believe that Captain goes artificially junior at CAL, the junior staffed Captain for both CAL and UAL is 66% system seniority for March. The only difference is when that pilot at 66% was hired.

Can you post what fleet and seat they were in at the MAD? Just because there has been incredible growth in the last three years (since the merger announcement) don't think an arbitrator will be forced to take into account an updated status and category position like the CAL opener proposed. -Mil

Flopgut, this is the last chance for a lot of United pilots to get a career do-over. To date, their bottom third's careers haven't lived up to the "career expectations" they were sold as new hires. They were convinced they were the Gods of aviation, and the thought of a fair integration with the likes of a Continental just sickens them. Their goal is to grab as much seniority as possible out of this and make up for lost time. Can anyone honestly say, that if CAL had 1400 furloughees at the time of the merger that any version of a UAL SLI proposal would include placing furloughed pilots ahead of active pilots?

My version of a fair integration is irrelevant; I am prepared to accept whatever gets arbitrated. Unfortunately, the UAL SLI expectations are so out of whack with fairness and reality they can only be disappointed with the outcome. I don't know if it's true, but is UAL already assessing money to challenge the arbitration? If so, that should tell you something.

Agreed. I too will live with the award and have less anxiety than it might seem. What I'm more interested in doing is pointing out to the UAL side that they are getting treated a lot better in this process than they ever would have treated us. And I want to try and make that point while it's going on. Of course they would never entertain helping out our furloughs if we had them. They never would have recalled them in a TPA like we did theirs. They would refuse to integrate them and be hiring off the street. Every pilot hired over there thru at least 02 benefited from their past actions in exploiting merger policy (longevity would have never been out of that equation if they had done the right thing in the past) now they are holding up the policy like it's been gospel forever. Well, they'll get merged based on the policy, but they don't deserve it.

Wait, wait, what I meant was EACH side has to submit their own list, and EACH side tries to go for a home run. The arbitrators will sift through the BS, and give an award and an explanation. Of course each side wants fences, etc. In the end, I think the 744s and the CAL 787s will be fenced for 5 years, and there will be a 2 year NO BUMP and FLUSH. After all that, watch out. This will be tough to guess how it will end up, but I have heard the bottom CAL 757/767 at EWR was a 2005 hire (?), and there are lots of 2001 to 2003 737 Capts. How do you blend them in with a 1997 UAL hire that can barely hold a line as an FO on a 767?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Ok, yeah, I get it and agree with you.

Even better then. 06 is the most Jr. CA I heard of. Forget which base.

UAL going after the "true longevity" of the average CAL pilot because our seniority list DOH numbers jump around... Unbelievable. Hint: That's what a seniority list looks like when you actually integrate pilots in a merger IAW a merger policy!!! UAL pilots don't understand this because they only use merger policy when it suits them. They prefer to take the airplanes and leave their union brothers and sisters on the street.

UAL going after the "true longevity" of the average CAL pilot because our seniority list DOH numbers jump around... Unbelievable. Hint: That's what a seniority list looks like when you actually integrate pilots in a merger IAW a merger policy!!! UAL pilots don't understand this because they only use merger policy when it suits them. They prefer to take the airplanes and leave their union brothers and sisters on the street.

Give it a rest will ya. These hearings are going to be an emotional roller coaster. Both sides will argue to benefit their respective group. I guess you're OK with the CAL argument, must seem pretty reasonable to you. From our side it's comical. FWIW, DOH is when CAL started paying you and when you started flying CAL aircraft not when Britt, Bar Harbor, Express Jet......etc started paying you. Also, when did you guys get 110 wide bodies??? :)

Latest resources

Back