• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hats: Yes or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How do you feel about wearing uniform hats?

• Yes! Without it, we look like milkmen!

Votes: 68 27.8%
  • Sure, whatever

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • They kinda suck

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Time to update the uniform: get rid of 'em!

Votes: 109 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The whole hat thing came from WWII. When the airlines cranked up the traveling public respected the paramilitary uniform including the hats. Times are definitely different but I am not sure how the travelers might view the loss of the "fifty mission crush" look associated with the hats. I know for a fact that whether you wear a hat or not does not affect your flying ability.

Putting on the hat is still one of the easiest parts of the job. Just throw it up there, I personally would wear big floppy shoes and a honkable red nose if the money was right.

Yeah, I'm a hat guy. The argument that we have to "update" our look doesn't hold water. That would be updating our look to passengers that wear flip-flop sandals and tank tops while traveling on airlines. I prefer to hold myself to a higher standard than to lower ourselves to an "updated look."

I do like the black Nikes some pilots wear these days. Those are a big improvement to the uniform and help "update" it as well. Velcro anyone?

Forget the commentary on pilot skills. You can be a good stick and still look like Sh*t. But why would you strive to look like that?

S.

Hats are part of the job. The help differentiate pilots from everyone else who wears a uniform: gate agent, flight attendant. Polish your shoes, iron your shirt and put on your hat.

How come Capt. Jon Luc Picard, and his First Officer Wil Riker, don't even have hats with the uniforms they wear? And after all, they are pilots of a Star Ship. Hmmmm? Heck, Even James T. Kirk, and Spock, who predated them did not have hats.

Warp factor 7.....engage!

How come Capt. Jon Luc Picard, and his First Officer Wil Riker, don't even have hats with the uniforms they wear? And after all, they are pilots of a Star Ship. Hmmmm? Heck, Even James T. Kirk, and Spock, who predated them did not have hats.

Warp factor 7.....engage!
Yea, I'll second that. Plus those chicks in the crew that wore those spandex flight suits had some pretty good camel toe action.

I vote lose the hats, bring in the spandex flight suits!:D

I don't mind the hats so much. It's the 1974 style uniforms that need to be updated. The quality is poor and polyester is silly.

I think Southwest has the right idea.
Hats are optional. They get to wear a jacket that looks like it would cut the cold. It would look fine with civi clothes on overnights and keeps you from having to carry another coat.

At Eagle, we have Polyester and you better be wearing the hat or catch grief from the CP. We have a long coat which is warm but goes to your knees and is cumbersome to lug around.
I feel like I should be wearing a steel pot and standing in a trench when I have that coat on.

Last edited:
An amusing article

excerpt:
As their uniform was denuded, airmen complained that they were being mistaken for bus drivers. This writer, when stationed in Baltimore, was approached one day by a woman who demanded to know why the transit company didn't run vehicles north on Charles Street.

Recalling the short pants, the fifty mission crush, the cowboy boots, the US brass flap, and more.

The Sartorial Splendor of the Air Force That Was (article linked above)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back