• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hats: Yes or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How do you feel about wearing uniform hats?

• Yes! Without it, we look like milkmen!

Votes: 68 27.8%
  • Sure, whatever

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • They kinda suck

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Time to update the uniform: get rid of 'em!

Votes: 109 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is the leadership choice and the popular choice.

As a professional pilot are you a leader or are you cool?

As a pax, there aren't very many indicators for me to tell who is a leader when I see pilots in the terminal. I focus on thier behavior, body language and dress code. I wouldn't pay extra money for a ticket knowing I am being flown by "Joe Kewl". I will pay extra for a professional pilot who looks sharp, acts conservative, confident and in control. I don't want to like this kind of pilot. I want to respect him.

On a personal note. It's interesting, the guys that will carry their hat but never wear it, unless the CP suddenly appears. Then thier bad a$$ spine turns to jelly.

If you aren't going to wear it then have the kahunas to save yourself $60 bucks and the chore of carrying the damm thing around.

There is an attitude that we have lost repsect as airline pilots, while at the same time a professional image device (PID) is a hassle. Not sure I get it. Do you?

Where is Pez D. Spencer when I need him??

Last edited:
Reason # 4,927 to work for SWA.

GD Hats Optional!
Normal Pilots Hats Optional Too!

Happy New Year Everybody! :)

Last edited:
I wear the hat because pax get out of your way when they see you hauling ass in their direction. The hat is scary man!!!

I wear my hat so I don't have to carry it. It doesn't bother me, I hear fat chicks dig it. How are you suppose to wear it? Do you ever notice that some people wear there hats low with the brim just above their eyes and some people wear it above their foreheads.

Its late, I like beer, I wish fat chicks hated the hat.

settle down there buddy...who are you the GD pilot hat police or perhaps you own a GD uniform company? GD!

It's not about the hat. Your utter failure- likely your inability- to grasp the true point serves to emphasize it.

Last edited:
Pinnacle doesn't care if pilot wear their hat or not. They pretend to care, but they don't. If we start getting into trouble for not wearing a hat, then I will wear mine.

Wasn't the whole pilot uniform thing started with the airlines flying flying boats. Notice the similarities between the love boat uniforms and pilot uniforms. At least we don't have white pants though :)

bud5437

Yours is the perspective of maturity. Don't expect to see that from the current run of hair-gel and die proponents.

I agree with all you've said, but I guess that just makes us both "old fashioned".

In today's world it seems you need the "Abercrombie look" (sloppy, unironed, half-dressed, untied sneakers, open neck - no tie and of course hatless) to join the new breed of airline professional. Now if we could only replace the blazer with a sweat shirt, everything would be perfect.

Enjoy your retirement and be thankful you earned it while we were still on the way up.

belchfire

To each his/her own naturally...but,

IMHO:
Leather jackets are for ego strokers who see themselves as Fighter Pilots and ball caps are for guess what...ball games.

Give me a trenchcoat anyday and I can blend in with the rest of the aviation "professionals".

BTW, I'd rather look like Rommel than Fred Durst anyday ;)

JJJ said:
Pinnacle doesn't care if pilot wear their hat or not. They pretend to care, but they don't. If we start getting into trouble for not wearing a hat, then I will wear mine.

Yeah, I've seen Pinnacle pilots look just the part you described. And that is a shared responsibility between the Pinnacle pilots and management.

Professional means doesn't need to be policed. No one looking over your shoulder making sure you are doing your job right. I don't want my doctor being supervised..... Do our pax want us being policed? How much are you willing to pay for a ticket for a pilot that needs to be supervised? How much margin of that ticket price will you get into your paycheck?

If you don't wanna wear a hat go to SWA or FDX or become a cubical operator.....

There is only one kind of pilot that wears a hat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back