• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hats: Yes or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How do you feel about wearing uniform hats?

• Yes! Without it, we look like milkmen!

Votes: 68 27.8%
  • Sure, whatever

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • They kinda suck

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Time to update the uniform: get rid of 'em!

Votes: 109 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are still a great deal of respect and mystery about being a pilot. The more you look like a bus driver, the faster you get paid as one. I'd say the hats stay.

Trash8Mofo said:
There are still a great deal of respect and mystery about being a pilot. The more you look like a bus driver, the faster you get paid as one. I'd say the hats stay.

The city bus drivers around here all wear a uniform hat. All of the Skycaps that work at my local airport wear a "pilot" style hat. Even the bellhops at the local upscale hotel wear a hat thats part of their uniform. Seems to me if we want to distant our look from these reportedly undesirable people, we should dismiss the hat.

Who reported that Bus Drivers, Sky Caps, and Bell Hops are "undesirable people"? That's pretty eletist and condescending, don't you think? Our society needs all sorts of people and jobs to make it run well. I am glad there are folks out there who do ALL the jobs that we all need to be done for us, from picking up the trash, to drawing up a will. I know some lawyers who may be rotten, but that does not make the trade itself to be occupied by "undesireable people".

The city bus drivers around here all wear a uniform hat. All of the Skycaps that work at my local airport wear a "pilot" style hat. Even the bellhops at the local upscale hotel wear a hat thats part of their uniform. Seems to me if we want to distant our look from these reportedly undesirable people, we should dismiss the hat.
Who reported that Bus Drivers, Sky Caps, and Bell Hops are "undesirable people"? That's pretty eletist and condescending, don't you think? Our society needs all sorts of people and jobs to make it run well. I am glad there are folks out there who do ALL the jobs that we all need to be done for us, from picking up the trash, to drawing up a will. I know some lawyers who may be rotten, but that does not make the trade itself to be occupied by "undesireable people".
I was busy on the ramp the other day and a very professional looking black dude came over to say hi to operations. He must have worked over by us before and wanted to say hi to old friends.

But the funny part, was the fact that he had that stupid looking brown UPS pilot uniform on, including hat.

You can run with that, in any direction you want.

Ditch the hats. Very few of the people like to wear them and
they don't look that great anymore to the passengers. Only
your lower grade workers wear this type of uniform these days.
At ASA one of our CPs compared our jobs to McDonalds; I think
that most of the McDonald's workers wear hats. I hope we are
thought of more than that, but you never know. If the ex-military
pilots are still in favor of wearing hats, then make sure we don't
wear the cover inside! This really chaps my A$$!

Trash8Mofo said:
That's all we are anyway, "glorified bus drivers."

With all the troubles that our industry is facing today I find it "ineresting" that we have time to cast a hundred and seventeen votes on the subject of wearing a part of our uniform.

Perhaps we shoud "update" our "look" by issuing a bottle of gel and tube of highlighting hair die to all pilots (and while we're at it, ban all the bald dudes). We might also get new pants that hang half-way down the bottocks and expose the the brand-name waist bands on our boxers, while sporting a WWII leather jacket (not and update but apparently de riguer to the young stud's machismo). As for the shoes, by all means switch to stylistic Michael Jordan sneakers (with a little bling), but don't forget the pants that are too long for your body so that you can be certain to walk on their bottoms as you parade through the terminal. While you're at it, get rid of the ties and unbutton you shirts so we can all see your chest or your cleavage and admire your gold chand with medallion.

If we need to update we might as well go all the way.

PS. Instead of calling that old guy Captain, we probably should upate to something like "Bro" or "Dude".

Get rid of them!

As a retired military member, I can assure you that the drive to keep the hats on indoors (or anywhere else) does not come from us. I have spent 22 years taking my hat off indoors and on the flight line. Taking the hat off indoors shows respect and professionalism. You don't know how many times in ATL that I have been approached as a bell hop while wearing my hat. When I just carry the hat in my hand, passengers never seem to have a problem knowing who I am. I have had several people ask me "why do you guys wear your hats indoors? It looks very disrespectfull". When the captain gets up to greet the passengers after the flight, he leaves off his hat. There certainly is no sense of unprofessionalism there, so what is the difference any where else?

As a minimum, hats should be banned from the flight operations areas. They are truly a safety hazard. I have watched several people who have had their hats blown off by wind, jet, or apu blast run after them blindly to almost get nailed by an ATR prop or bus. ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back