• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hats: Yes or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How do you feel about wearing uniform hats?

• Yes! Without it, we look like milkmen!

Votes: 68 27.8%
  • Sure, whatever

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • They kinda suck

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Time to update the uniform: get rid of 'em!

Votes: 109 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hats are just another hassle I don't need. Personally, I just don't want to worry about a hat that doesn't keep your head warm and can easily be crunched or forgotten when busy concerning yourself with flight operations. They just get in the way. My way would be a professional pilot shirt with eppaulets and functional, all weather jacket or coat that is more appropriate for preflights and walking around in the weather than a dress jacket. All the jacket and hat does is invite folks to ask for directions.

Bottom line.........I've definitely noticed those pilots who like to wear the hats have "egos" to support. They want to ensure everyone in the airport and hotel knows they are big-shot airline pilots. Don't even try to deny it!!!!! Almost all the guys I know who are low-key and without attitudes don't like to wear that rediculous thing.

Hats are outdated, are a pain to carry around, serve no purpose, and don't make you a professional. They just boost the ego of those with tiny things between their legs.

Yeah, but everyday is a bad hair-day for me so the hat comes in real handy...heeeyyyy...who told you it was tiny!?!?

70Cuda said:
Bottom line.........I've definitely noticed those pilots who like to wear the hats have "egos" to support. They want to ensure everyone in the airport and hotel knows they are big-shot airline pilots. Don't even try to deny it!!!!! Almost all the guys I know who are low-key and without attitudes don't like to wear that rediculous thing.

I've noticed just the opposite. Most guys who don't like to wear them are metros who don't want to mess up their hair gel.

My choice: keep 'em. Or, at least keep them as an optional uniform piece. There's a movement afoot where I work to get rid of them all. That and the blazer. In its place would be a leather jacket. Now tell me, which is more of a symptom of an ego that needs stroking: a uniform hat or a leather jacket?

Not this again

Grow up.

Did you accept the position? Then wear the GD hat. You agreed to it when you took the job. Don't wanna wear the GD hat? Get a job that does not include a hat with the uniform.

Punks.

cl-65link said:
That's all we are anyway, "glorified bus drivers."

Yeah, and for all of those that don't feel the need to wear the hat when they are supposed to, we don't even look bus driver-like.

I hope enough of my bretheren at PCL can find thier f'ing hat so they can walk the line with Mesaba come January 9th.....

Hey fellas, I'm a retired Airline Pilot. I've been doing this for the last 36 years and quite frankly, I was proud to wear the hat. We earned the PRIVLEDGE to wear it. I would venture a guess, with 12,000 pilots on furlough, if you asked them if they would return to work on the condition they wore their hats, I would bet they would do it in a heartbeat.
Now, being an OLD FART, I have to tell you, I have kicked co-pilots off the trip because they wouldn't wear their uniform properly. The hat is still a part of the uniform isn't it. I see a lot of young guys carrying their hats. Well, all that establishes is that their hat fits their hand. Put it on your head where it belongs and be proud to wear it!! Also, as long as I'm making myself sound like a real butt hole, I think a crisp clean hat (no 50 mission crush) looks really professional. Flame away. We will never fly together so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

i've noticed alot of major guys have removed the donut from inside the hat to give it this natural air force B-17 look. Is that the more stylish way? i just switched employers and don't have the money yet to buy a new hat, so when i do i guess i'll splurge if only it helps me commute and look like a pilot when I commute.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back