Hater in the House!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DirkkDiggler

Sorry, I had to steal that title from Stuart Scott. I have a question for all you folks out there who complain so much about this industry. If it's that bad, why don't you get a different job. Now I have a theory about this but I want to see what your responses are before I let you know what it is. (P.S. I'm not talking about the folks who complain every now and then. I'm talking about the folks who post messages telling others not to get started in their flying careers because it sucks. As well as the people who say that this industry is worthless and there are much better jobs out there. If that's really what you think then you are a fool not to pursue those other opportunities.) Let me here what your response is.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the folks who post messages telling others not to get started in their flying careers because it sucks. As well as the people who say that this industry is worthless and there are much better jobs out there. If that's really what you think then you are a fool not to pursue those other opportunities.) Let me here what your response is.
The truth of the matter is that most all other entry level jobs outside of aviation "pay" more than "peanuts" and people should be made aware of that fact, bottom line. I think people who know this industry, seen the downward slide which continues, etc, etc, are merely giving advice to those who think it is all fun and games. I hope these posters continue to be as outspoken as ever and educate the people considering aviation as a career. I am one who will actually applaud their comments and "factual data and information" that they bring to this board.

This has little if anything to do with getting out of this industry and everything to do with spreading the word around with regards to what one can expect should they choose to pursue a career in this industry as a pilot.

You can justify your opinion until hell freezes over but it has little or no bearing on what is happening in reality.

go to med school and be able to actually support a family and have a great QOL.

I can tell you most I know (including myself) would never have gotten involved in this "game"/"industry" if they could re-write history and do it all again given what they know now. This industry will never ever be what is once was, sad but it is a fact.

3 5 0

ps>> ExpressJet lowered their mins to 600 and 100..

Just when one thought this could not get any more comical.:rolleyes:

Common sense would also illustrate that the older one get's, the less opportunity and chance they have to catch up on lost time and pursue another career option, quite simple and it is not brain surgery my friend.

You will always have folks willing to accept $17, 000/YEAR and be based in EWR just to fly that shiny new RJ.

It is all about what you love and how much you are willing to sacrafice for it. People don't go to med school or law school etc... for the $, cause their no $ until about 5-10 years after your clinicals are over and then whatever $ you make goes to your 100+ thousand dollar loan for the school.

I fly cause I enjoy it and yeah just like any job, things suck sometimes really bad, but at the end of day I do have the single greatest job out their. I am a optimist though.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong but expressing my .2$

See yah

Justino

Amen!

I also choose to fly because even on my worst day flying, it's still better then the best day I ever had in an office.

DirkkDiggler said:
Sorry, I had to steal that title from Stuart Scott. I have a question for all you folks out there who complain so much about this industry. If it's that bad, why don't you get a different job. Now I have a theory about this but I want to see what your responses are before I let you know what it is. (P.S. I'm not talking about the folks who complain every now and then. I'm talking about the folks who post messages telling others not to get started in their flying careers because it sucks. As well as the people who say that this industry is worthless and there are much better jobs out there. If that's really what you think then you are a fool not to pursue those other opportunities.) Let me here what your response is.
Most complaining comes when someone asks about getting into aviation as a career.

Myself and others just give our opinions, thats what these folks are looking for. Dont post a question if you dont want responses.

You are only reading some, you will also find the folks who think its just peachy to fly that RJ around for 17K....but living with Mom gets old and Mastercards usually have limits.....when its reached you may hear thier complaining too. Check the posts who rave about the RJ jobs (above) they are 1100, 1300hr pilots. My guess is also no wife, no kids, no house payments, etc....its all fun...but what's gonna happen in 10 yrs? I hope they get good jobs to support a normal life.

Most say that yes, flying is fun, the time off is wonderful...but the industry is not what it once was - and may never be again. I do like my job, I am lucky to have a decent flying job..but I wouldn't do it again if I was able to go back.

Smart folks should persue other careers to make real money and fly as a hobby.

As you might be able to tell -- I strongly disagree with the saying that "money does not buy happiness"........that is bull$hit spewed by poor people.

Last edited:
As you might be able to tell -- I strongly disagree with the saying that "money does not buy happiness"........that is bull$hit spewed by poor people.

That rockS! I have not heard that before, the poor people thing!

:)

C yah

Everytime i lost money i never found myself happier...that much i know.

I worked a "real" job for 17 years before I had a chance to go into aviation. My wife and kid supported me, and we made do with little for a few years. And yes, we were "macaroni and cheese" poor for a few years, as I didn't have money saved up to live on. Yes the credit dards were maxed out, and sometimes it was a strain. It was also by far the best decision that I have ever made. There isn't enough space on this boards server to list all the things I love about what I do. Yeah, sometimes it's a pain in the a$$, and there are a lot of times that I complain about management, rampers, being the brunt of schedulings incompetence, having the contract violated, etc, but when it's all said and done, I hit my knees every night and thank whoever's in charge for allowing me to be so lucky...

atrdriver

Basically you have all proven my theory. Despite how sh!tty you think the job is, you love flying and don't quit because you know that you won't enjoy another job as much. If this isn't true then you would have quit long ago. And for all of you who are claiming to just be informing newcomers about the industry, do that. However, list facts and not opinions. If you think this industry sucks, and you wouldn't do it again, that is your opinion. There are plenty others out there who disagree with you. It would be a shame to discourage someone who is really excited about becoming a pilot because your experience jaded you so much. Let them know the facts and they can make an informed decision of their own.

350DRIVER said:
I can tell you most I know (including myself) would never have gotten involved in this "game"/"industry" if they could re-write history and do it all again given what they know now. This industry will never ever be what is once was, sad but it is a fact.
I darn sure fall into that catagory.

Dirk,

I won't speak for anyone but myself. I cannot just quit, because flying is all I have ever done. I'm an old guy by regional standards. Compliments of my pi$$-ant wages, I cannot afford to go to a trade school, or go back to college and get another degree in something that will alow me to make more money. My parents are dirt farmers, so that is not an option either. I have to concentrate on saving for retirement now. I guess you could say that I'm stuck in the profession that I chose.

If I HAD the resources to get out of this profession and get a decent paying job with a good quality of life, I'd be out of here in a second. Yes, I like to fly. I'd just go back to doing it on the weekends, like back when I enjoyed it. I freaking hate it now. It has become an actual job since 9-11. I wish it were still fun. For me, it is not. I'm simply here because I need to support my family. I cannot do this and start over somewhere else, unless I win the lottery.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back