Hater in the House!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DirkkDiggler said:
It doesn't matter why you're still flying. If you're too old to get out and you have resigned yourselves to "suffering" in this business for the rest of your working lives, don't you think your life would be more enjoyable if you didn't complain about it so much. If you're stuck with it then you may as well enjoy it as much as you can or at least find other things to do in your free time which will enable you to suffer silently while you're at work. Nobody owes you anything and it's too bad you feel stuck in a job you hate. But get over it. Nobody likes a whiner!
It has little if anything to do with complaining and everything to do with the "reality" of this industry, which you seem to not want to figure into the equation. I love your optimistic opinions, ideas, and postings but the bottom line is that this industry is what it is, nothing more and nothing less. You nor I will be able to change that. Open your eyes and take a look around at this industry present day and be a little more open minded. When did I ever say I was "owed" anything?.

3 5 0

DirkkDiggler said:
Basically you have all proven my theory. Despite how sh!tty you think the job is, you love flying and don't quit because you know that you won't enjoy another job as much. If this isn't true then you would have quit long ago. And for all of you who are claiming to just be informing newcomers about the industry, do that. However, list facts and not opinions. If you think this industry sucks, and you wouldn't do it again, that is your opinion. There are plenty others out there who disagree with you. It would be a shame to discourage someone who is really excited about becoming a pilot because your experience jaded you so much. Let them know the facts and they can make an informed decision of their own.
If someone really lets an internet message board discourage them from their dreams --

then they are a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**in moron and too sensitive to make it past year one in the aviation industry anyways.

Your "theory" is right? Everyone just biatches and nobody leaves the industry?
Is it that easy just to switch careers?
sure....just hop out there and find another 6 figure salary just like that..

I dont think you get the point...by the time you get a little burned out on flying you are in it too far. Again, it IS a good job, but there are many better...by better I mean in terms of stability and pay - (2 things that become important when you grow up)

Once your woody from flying a jet sags and your mom is no longer impressed when you come home in your poly dork suit -- reality starts to set in.

If you are lucky (I am) you may find one of the FEW decent flying jobs and make enough to support a middle class lifestyle and give yourself plenty of time ot persue hobbies....cheap hobbies....because that all you are going to be able to afford-- if you are lucky that is.

And please dont think I am just a grouchy old burned out pilot....Im not TOO old yet.....I graduated high school in the 90's.

Last edited:
Ahhh Yes,

That is why I am getting my Masters of Science after all. Just in case the $hit hits the fan for me I have another option. A way out if you may is important no matter what endeavor you elect. True I am young, but naive, umm thats a bit far for me. I have done the 135 flying, CFI gigs and AF stuff. I am only 26 but well versed in what the future holds. 17K yes I am aware, no more 200K to sit on my A$$ at UAL, well thats 4 sure. I do know that flying a desk sucks, I have worked in National Security for awhile, can't comment to what I did but most people would say "wow thats cool you must have so much fun" Well it all boils down to a 8-10 job dealing with small incidentals that make up a big picture which will never be complete. That is why I am flying, cause it is fun, dynamic, and a good group of people like yourselves to converse with. I would rather make less flying then make more in an office where I can't talk about what I do with anyone.

:)

C yah

If I were to do it all over again, I would start at UPS at 22 yrs old throwing boxes and washing trucks and waiting for a drivers slot to open up. I would fly for fun on the side. Heck, I'm 32 yrs old and still thinking about doing this!! I run into these drivers alot and most seem happy. I know they make alot more than pilots do!! Does anyone know fedex or UPS drivers? Are they happy? It's just my timing has sucked in this industry. I'm stuck at a fractional going on year 5 in the right seat with still no upgrade in sight!!

350, Did you feel like this in the 90's when things were going great? This is a cyclical industry, and while things are bad right now, they will get better. There are too many Americans who expect and want to fly for the industry to go away. I agree that there isn't much stability right now, but no one was saying that when the times were good...

As for job security, while we don't have a lot of it, go ask someone who has been "downsized" how they felt about their job security. Like everything else, cycles come and go, and where we are in the cycle determines to a large extent how people feel about their jobs, lives, etc. As for me, I have had a non aviation career, as well as this one...I would never go back by choice.

atrdriver

FlyChicaga said:
I think it's interesting that most career changers say they'd never look back to their former lives in the 9-5 workforce, whereas those who have only flown for a career and never done anything else are the ones saying to get out and do something else for "more money."
I strongly agree with this statement as I am/was a career changer. Usually the more vocal ones are the ones that have never seen a 9-5 type job. All they see is greener grass on the other side of the fence.

I'm sure a lot of people stick with aviation because of the thousands upon thousands of dollars they spent to get their ratings in the first place.

350DRIVER said:
I can tell you most I know (including myself) would never have gotten involved in this "game"/"industry" if they could re-write history and do it all again given what they know now.
I wouldn't change a thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back