• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has it really come to this

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
with all due respect to your awesome flight experience and 'god-given' gift for flying...why are you in competition with this 'women' who you've already labeled as perhaps from a minority group, and the one who got the job not for her experience...so, let's say...she did get hired by affirmative action...OK...what...15% of total hiring had to be minority? All right...so they hired 15% of minorities who didn't meet the 'god-given' skills that all of you possess...over and done with...

now let's talk about the other 85%....the real pilots, with real experience, with genuinely gifted skills....pilots like yourselves....

who are you in competition with?
the bottom 15% or the top 85%?

Wouldn't exceptionally skilled, educated, trained, and gifted pilots like yourselves be interested in taking up the competition of the other 85%?
I hear that a lot...oh, I didn't get that job because of that women/minority/both, etc...

It's amazing how openly all you guys admit the level of hiring you want to compete in...the bottom 15%...

Rather than letting this one ruin your sleep, let is go...and strive to compete with the top 85% who are in your league...and 85% is a lot of room to play with...

minority wonder

Fly bunny,

With 1200 hrs of PA44 and Cherokee 6 time I bet you must be furloughed United pilot.

It is probably true that she'll upgrade to FO that quickly. It's a great opportunity for her - 747 FO with that little time? A lot of foreign carriers train pilots with low time for the right seat on all types of aircraft, heavies included. Of course, any FE who wants to transition to the right seat has to pass the FO training.

I for one can't understand why the company is hiring SOs. I mean, by the time they are trained, it's time to go to upgrade to the right seat.

Kalitta needs FOs - the next class is going to have 20 FOs and 12 FEs. Possibly it's just getting hard to find PFEs. Only cargo companies really have engineers as it is (I know NWA has engineers on the -200 and the DC10, but are they going to leave NWA for Kalitta? :) All the younger FEs are ex-military or reserve guys.

iaflyer

FlyBunny,
Might I suggest that you please do not post such things? It's somewhat embarrassing to my gender.
The screen name leaves a bit to be desired also. It's a job, not Ladies' Night out there!

I can't say that I blame the lady for taking the job, as I would do the same thing if I where in her shoes. I think that it is great that we live in a society where women and minorities have the same opportunities as everyone else.
However, I think that affirmitive action is sexist and racist in that the whole philosphy of affirmitive action is that since someone is a women or a minority, they are automatically less qualified and so they need more help than everyone else. Wouln't it be nice if flying qualifications were the only thing that prospective employers looked at and not sex and race?

dixieflyer said:
The fruits of affirmative action. Being a member of the "victim class" has its benefits.

Well la de da! It's funny that us ladies supposedly have got it made in aviation. We don't need any experience, just good old affirmative action. If that's the case, let me ask you this.....why hasn't FedEx or UPS called me yet? I mean, I have only been applying there for the past 4 years. I exceed their mins so what is the deal? I put down that I am a female on the app. Come on, what's up? I mean, I think that they have a lot of white guys in current classes. What the heck? Why aren't they calling me? Maybe I am overqualified for a chick? Come on dude, enlighten me.

Well la de da! It's funny that us ladies supposedly have got it made in aviation. We don't need any experience, just good old affirmative action. If that's the case, let me ask you this.....why hasn't FedEx or UPS called me yet?

I think that you are a little ignorant to say that women don't have an easier time getting hired at a lot of companies than men. While some companies may not practice it as much as others, some definately do. I know of a few instances where women have been hired at United with little or no turbine time at all. I have even seen if happen at the company that I work for.

Last edited:
Dart, thanks for the ‘well wishes’…but it had been quite good contrary to your belief

Dixieflyer, please pay attention to the date of my last qualifications…since then do add few hundred hours of King Air and CRJ-200 for a regional…upgrade looks good the just finished a trip with a women PIC…with whom, I’m sure you’d have tough time sitting in the same cockpit with - considering your ‘low self esteem’. No, United was never on my plans but Alaska sure is in a few years time.

Aviatrix, congratulations on ‘self appointment’ as the sole representative of ‘your’ gender. Your remark comes off as quite ‘hypocritical’ or perhaps you simply forgot to look at the picture you’ve posted under your name…and ‘Ladies Night Out’… oh my…what have I been up to…I guess I will have to straighten up for me next three day trip starting tomorrow…

C’mon guys…it’s not a ‘I want to win this argument’ thing like 10 years olds…why do you think someone would hire an incompetent pilot…what are you lot…including myself…people who’ve barely broke in to the professional jobs we’ve always wanted…most of us are probably still at regional or want to be…how can you question someone’s judgement who’s running a $100 Million or a $Billion business…you think these guys just there and say…. oh yeah…let’s just hire bunch of incompetent, unqualified women, blacks, etc…why is it that you’d never look beyond that there might be a reason that this other guy didn’t get hired…it is most likely not his incompetence or qualification…perhaps he just wasn’t at his finest on the day of the interview…perhaps that ‘minority’ person outshone him that day…how many times you see a pilot is rejected from one airline only to be successfully hired, trained, and flying for another…I myself was turned down by a regional (Prop outfit) and the sim instructor even had the balls to tell me that I didn’t know how to fly the instruments…here I am flying a CRJ for a regional…just to make you feel better, I was turned down in three interviews…and was offered two…you guys will really have to start getting out of this minority stuff and ‘live and let live’…it will eat you up…and you will always show it…and eventually it will require a visit to the Chief Pilot’s office…eventually an additional CRM requirement…and lastly, termination…however, you could avoid all this and accept the fact…women fly just as well….I’d be happy to ‘discuss’ this further…for the start…just look up who’s the commander at the AFB in Arizona…

I don’t want this to be taken as a ‘flame bait’…discussion is good; have concerns then bring them out and discuss it…but don’t make judgements without proof…because the proof is showing that the facts are against your beliefs…you can take a jab, put me down, put other minorities down, feel good after posting and reading others’ reply…but would that accomplish anything? My cousin is flying B737NG out of London…she just turned 22. Times have changed…accept it…and move on.

tsky said:
Wouln't it be nice if flying qualifications were the only thing that prospective employers looked at and not sex and race?

Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to know pilots in the company that have flown with you and like you enough to write glowing letters of reference??????? Sex and race won't get you anything if you don't have those letters.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back