Has Delta Called You Yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sig,

I sense a bit of personal agenda in your post! :) I always tell people in the jumpseat that flying in NYC is very difficult, even for those of us living there... you wouldn't like it at all.

I'm sure you'll be a lineholder by the time I move over...you won't feel a thing.

Happy New Year!

PF, are you on the 800 in NYC? Remember the rumor a while back about the 738s moving from NYC to CVG? Keep that in mind............

Mike,

It was more than a rumor...nearly a year ago we got the letter from the CPO saying that we were losing the -800 time to CVG, then mgmt changed their minds the day before a bid came out and the status quo prevailed. The end result was we did a lot more flying than we did the year prior and they've announced countless new -800 routes.

My current take, for a number of reasons, is that mainline CVG wont see additional flying except for when we get more 700s and possibly a smaller aircraft that replaces what the 737-200s have been doing for a long time. Management seems pretty happy with the new ratio of connecting vs. O&D traffic there and I'd say its unlikely they'll try anything different for a long time.

My approach to bidding is to go with what you know, not what you think MIGHT happen. So I'll enjoy my plane for now until I'm kicked off or I leave on my own...and I'd be too junior on the ER to make it worth my while at this point after spending most of my DAL career furloughed or on reserve.

Here's to 2007 treating everyone in this business better than 2006 did!

My current take, for a number of reasons, is that mainline CVG wont see additional flying except for when we get more 700s and possibly a smaller aircraft that replaces what the 737-200s have been doing for a long time. !

What I have heard from a pretty good source, is that they are ready to move the 800 flying from NYC to CVG right now....but we are too short staffed. Evidently in the process of moving a whole category, there is a need for more pilots. You know, for a time there will be some 800 flying in both places and with people in training, and the need for reserves in both places, it generates a short term demand for a lot of extra pilots. Which we just don't have now.

I don't think this will mean additional flying in CVG anyway as I suspect the 88 flying will leave to be split between NYC and ATL

I certainly would not plan on it in bidding. But, if you are on the 800 in NYC and it starts looking like it will happen, or it is announced, don't go for the ER on an AE. Take the displacement. Then you have no training freeze.

On a side note, I have heard nothing lately about an aircraft smaller than the -700. I keep wondering if they will just order a bunch of 700s (I am sure we will get more, just don't know how many) or maybe go with the 190 or 195.
Mike

For God's sake General Lee, did they used to beat you up at the bike rack in Elementary school? I could care less about waking up in Venice or Dothan. Bottom line I want to wake up at my own house as many times a month as I can. Dothan, Venice, who cares, it's still a hotel and away from your family. When you get a family you will know what everybody is talking about.:rolleyes:

I average 16-18 days a month at home. I am flying around 80 hous a month and can easily get paid for over 100. The last twomonths my rotations are two legs a day. Along with Holiday inns, we still overnight at some prime hotels, in prime locations! I have not see any Comair pilots staying there! PBS is a great system, I can work three days, four days, whatever. Upgrades to the 767300ER are going super junior, Atlanta 757/767 domestic is going very junior. We have lots of new international destinations on the MD88. As far as the family, I have a family and I am looking for quality of life, career advancement potential, and more money than I would make at a regional. I have nothing against a career at a regional, I worked at one for a long time. Delta's financial position has improved beyond description. We have close to $5.0 billon in cash, our cost per ASM is much lower, and our revenue per ASM has increased big time. Renegotiated lease rates are dramatic. I always have a good time at work, even with the senior mamas in back. Let's be realistic, Delta has changed big time. We gave up a lot, but we kept some very important benefits also. But to compare a career at Delta mainline vs a regional is a no brainer. I respect all the regional guys, your work is every bit as important as ours at mainline! I also respect anyone's decesion to make a career at one of those regionals. A point to consider, for those who are considering Delta, you have obviously been trying for other mainline carriers also! What would be the harm in waiting for your UPS interview while you fly to Venice, or Mobile? In any case, good luck in your career choices! I grow tired of the negative posts, so I am trying to stay positive! Happy New Year to everyone!

Nice post acarpe. It apears it's not all doom and gloom at DL.

Nice post acarpe. It apears it's not all doom and gloom at DL.

Goggles, I think your avatar says it best. It's all in how you look through your glasses, they can be very dark or rose colored. I know 3 guys with Delta...1 hates it, 1 is so-so with it, and 1 likes it. Same company, different individuals. Go figure.

Actually, when you start a trip to Venice, you go to bed in your own bed about 48 hours later. Try that with a 3 or 4 day domestic trip. Ain't gonna happen for the hours you put in to a VCE trip our of Atlanta. 4 48 hour periods--while technically 12 days--gives you about 80 hours of pay in what amounts to 8 days.

You guys are quick to slam life at Delta. It's real simple, don't apply. 5 airlines, and Delta is BY FAR STILL the best quality of life.

If it is such a crappy job, why would there be so many applications on file? Are that many people wrong and YOU are the only one right???

Is that why Delta pilots are NOT quitting in droves?

Just some rhetorical questions for your bemusement.

For the record, I welcome your NON-application. We have enough whiners here.

Puff

The edit: BTW, the food and wine are MUCH better in Venice than Dothan, as is the Italian scenery, as is the, uh, "exploratory" nature of the Italian woman who has all of her teeth

for what it's worth, from a regional scrub, i couldn't agree more.....any major on their worst day, has a better qol/pay then anything we deal with at the regional level. the challenge, of course, as it has always been, is picking the place where you can finish your career.happy new year. btw...... i would like to work at delta :)

Last edited:
Is here any rumors running around Delta that the MCO base will re-open? (It used to be 737-200 Delta Express) If so, when and what type of equipment/flying?
....waiting for the phone to ring....

Latest resources

Back