• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has Delta Called You Yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sure wakeing up in Venice, Italy with a 50% pay cut is alot of fun. go for it. It's all yours.

You make that back when moving to larger aircraft or to the left seat. We have had guys who were furloughed a couple years ago already go to the right seat of the INTL 765 (764) on this last bid, and will be making close to what they had made on the MD88 when they were furloughed. (they got credit for longevity even when they were back on the street too) Not bad, and we will get small raises too coming up here. It really does beat Dothan I would bet.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
CJA,

Maybe waking up on a layover in Vencie, Italy is better than waking up in Dothan, AL? Of course Venice probably doesn't have a Waffle House (Awful House)...... But hey, you may love Dothan.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

For God's sake General Lee, did they used to beat you up at the bike rack in Elementary school? I could care less about waking up in Venice or Dothan. Bottom line I want to wake up at my own house as many times a month as I can. Dothan, Venice, who cares, it's still a hotel and away from your family. When you get a family you will know what everybody is talking about.:rolleyes:

For God's sake General Lee, did they used to beat you up at the bike rack in Elementary school? I could care less about waking up in Venice or Dothan. Bottom line I want to wake up at my own house as many times a month as I can. Dothan, Venice, who cares, it's still a hotel and away from your family. When you get a family you will know what everybody is talking about.:rolleyes:

Actually, when you start a trip to Venice, you go to bed in your own bed about 48 hours later. Try that with a 3 or 4 day domestic trip. Ain't gonna happen for the hours you put in to a VCE trip our of Atlanta. 4 48 hour periods--while technically 12 days--gives you about 80 hours of pay in what amounts to 8 days.

You guys are quick to slam life at Delta. It's real simple, don't apply. 5 airlines, and Delta is BY FAR STILL the best quality of life.

If it is such a crappy job, why would there be so many applications on file? Are that many people wrong and YOU are the only one right???

Is that why Delta pilots are NOT quitting in droves?

Just some rhetorical questions for your bemusement.

For the record, I welcome your NON-application. We have enough whiners here.

Puff

The edit: BTW, the food and wine are MUCH better in Venice than Dothan, as is the Italian scenery, as is the, uh, "exploratory" nature of the Italian woman who has all of her teeth

Last edited:

Sounds like you are a great fit for Southwest. Good for you. Others want to see the world on the airline's dime. And, we can have as many or MORE days off than you can. We can back up INTL trips if we choose, since there is no 30/7 rule for INTL flying. We have a 3 day trip to Tokyo from ATL that is worth 28 hours. We have a 6 day trip worth 42 hours that goes to Moscow twice(with an ATL layover in between). We have multiple 6 day trips from JFK to Frankfurt, then to CVG, then back to FRA, and back to JFK for more than 30 hours.(same for some Rome trips, and Amsterdam, etc....) We also go to Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago from ATL, with 30 hour layovers. It is Summertime down there, and nice to sight see. We have variety. We also have PLENTY of day trips or turns to the Carribbean and Latin America--so we could be home with our families EVERY NIGHT (I do St. Thomas a lot). You have the 123 rule, and more job security. Great. If I have to be away for 3 or 4 days, why not do it in a city I want to see? You continue having fun on your very productive 4 days.....Good for you. Were you one of those fat bulleys back in elementary school? Did you lose your marbles?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
What kind of trips does the LAX base have. Any out and back, or international? Thanks.

LA is fairly junior (due to the fact that if you don't live there already, it could be expensive to move your family there....), except for the 767-400 category. There are only 2 categories in LA--757/767 DOM, and 765 (764 INTL). The 757/767 category I think has about 120 Captains and maybe 130 FOs.(with 15 on reserve for each). The 765 catetgory does Hawaii and some domestic, and they have about 50 Captains and 50 FOs with 6 or so reserves I believe.

Again, I am not based there, but I believe they have trips out of LAX, ONT, and SNA, and they have a mix of 2,3, and 4 day trips on the 757/767. The 765 is only out of LAX. Some guys live elsewhere and commute into LAX for allnighters that start on the first night of the trip. It wouldn't take you long to get LA I would bet, since they seem to always be short out there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Thanks General. One other thing, since they are hiring into the 73 and the 88, when can you bid out for the 757 or 767. Are you frozen for a certain amount of time?

Thanks General. One other thing, since they are hiring into the 73 and the 88, when can you bid out for the 757 or 767. Are you frozen for a certain amount of time?

If you are senior enough and BID either the 738 or MD88, and you get it, I think there is a 2 year seat hold. IF they give something to you that you don't WANT, (since you are junior in the class), then I think you can bid off it immediately. I think that is how it goes. A 2 year seat hold applies to anything you WANT to bid and get. This may have changed a bit since I was hired (10 years ago), but I don't think so.

Bye Bye--General Lee

How is the QOL at DAL under the new contract? Can anybody enlighten me with regard to reserve rules and things like that? For instance, do you still have the long call out?

Good QOL, since most of the rules were not taken away in BK. (we lost a 5th week of vacation for the senior guys). If you are a reserve and have not been assigned a short call (2 hour call out or get there as fast and as safely as you can..) then you are on long call unless you are on your X days or days off. I think the long call is a 12 hour call out. I haven't been on reserve in awhile, but I think that is it. I think they can give you 8 short call days per month. It's not that bad, and you can often see trips coming on the internet. You can't really bid for them, but you can put in a preference for them. We used to be able to grab those trips, but I think they changed that so they could spread out the trips to everyone on reserve.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back