• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has ALPA tried to bring AA back?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would argue it is the best thing that could have happened for the AA pilots.

There are over 2700 pilots on furlough from American right now. The VAST majority of them are TWA (due to the staple job).

If it wasn't for TWA, there would be 2700 AA pilots on the street.

Buying TWA and stapling all their pilots to the bottom of the list saved thousands of AA jobs.
Amen, next tread please!

Some TWA pilots live in a constant state of denial about the truth.

After 9/11 the TWA operation cost AMR a BILLION DOLLARS every year off the bottom line.

One billion dollars in losses every year directly from that abortion.

TWA is the worst thing that ever happened to AA.

I can only say I wish we'd found out if they would have survived on their own instead of them helping drive this company to the brink.>>

I guess all the aa guys flying out of STL while TWA'ers are on the street was the worst thing that happened. If it sucks so bad take a leave of absense and work at Walmart. Don't forget the aa guys picking up open time while fellow APA'ers are on the street. Scab like behavior.

I hope it comes out that ALPA was working APA. That will help in a lawsuit.

I think most TWA pilots feel more anger towards ALPA than APA. I've always said APA did there job of protecting there pilots. ALPA didn't. Worthless is a liar. The way APA treated us after becoming a APA member is what sucks.

Enjoy STL while some furloughed TWA Captains and FO's scrape for every dime to support there family. Remember having a job sucks.

Nice can of worms.

There are over 2700 pilots on furlough from American right now. The VAST majority of them are TWA (due to the staple job).

Buying TWA and stapling all their pilots to the bottom of the list saved thousands of AA jobs.

Not to mention the F-100's were gone with or without TWA. Probably saved a native job or two to get 110 MD-80's overnight.

PIPE

seefive--To say that the acquisition of TWA saved "many" jobs is not quite correct. Fewer than one in ten TWA employees survived the integration and that number is diminishing daily.

Sure, pilots have recall rights but FA's have already begun to lose their recall rights due to the 5 year limit. A good deal? I think not.

Most rampers outside of STL were gone immediately. Many mechanics in STL and MCI remained. Many did not. With the downturn and cascading Ch.11's in the industry, it's a worse time to be a mechanic than a pilot in this business. Not a good deal.

Outside of STL, most agents were laid off. They can be recalled but with many having 30 years seniority or more, coming back to AA for a no-benefit, part-time position probably isn't a good deal.

As has been documented, 75% of the pilots at TWA ultimately got laid off. The last few rounds of furloughs cut people who, less than a year before had been flying as captain--some for over 3 years in the left seat. A $150,000 pay cut in 10 months is a little difficult to recover from. Not a good deal.

The TWA pilots have been told that "at least you'll have a good job to come back to". We'll see but as many in this industry have discovered, there are no guarantees.

So, please get your facts straight before telling people how good a deal they have--particularly if you aren't getting the same deal.TC

If all the pilots were stapled how did I fly with a TWA captain the other day?
It was a crap deal, but alteast be honest with ALL pilots being stapled, things like that tend to mislead others. You know, like all OZ pilots were stapled.

Lastly, I would say Carl Ichan was the worst thing that happened to TWA. He destroyed a magnificant airline, which left it in the state it was when aquired.

regards,

AA

Pkober, you would be surprised at the number of exTW guys picking up OT.
It is a lot larger than you would probably imagine.

Last edited:
Well, at first glance one could say that only 60% of the TWA seniority list was stapled. Strangely enough, of the 1000 or so that were "integrated" into the list (and might I say at a less than noble BOTTOM UP instead of TOP DOWN) there are only 400 or so (less?) still on the property. All within five years. I'd say that the APA did their homework on that one. So of the 2301 pilots on the TWA list 18% are still on the AA property. Not bad for taking 188 aircraft at the date of the merger. And truthfully, I don't care how many TWA aircraft are still there now...those have been the responsibility of AMR since 4/10/2001.

Oh, and I would have taken an OZ integration any day of the week....but you AA guys said it was so heinous that you didn't even offer it. Why not? Was it too good?

stlflyguy

If all the pilots were stapled how did I fly with a TWA captain the other day?
It was a crap deal, but alteast be honest with ALL pilots being stapled, things like that tend to mislead others. You know, like all OZ pilots were stapled.

Where did I say they were ALL stapled?

The purchase of TWA protected AA and many AA employees from hardship.

AA management removed a competitor from the industry. Too bad they didn't know how to use the opportunity in a profitable way. AA threw away a great opportunity.

"Two great airlines, one great future". Just lie, cheat and steal.

I don't see how AA's management is going to navigate the hard times ahead. The industry has changed and AA is unable to adapt.

Latest resources

Back