• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has ALPA tried to bring AA back?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone consider how the TWA/AA sen list intergration would have gone if the AA pilots never left ALPA in the 1950's. With a common merger policy it might have been more fair to the TWA pilots. (who got a raw deal).

And look.... more mergers on the horizon...

Another reason for all pilots to be one union. It doesn't have to be ALPA.

Anyone consider how the TWA/AA sen list intergration would have gone if the AA pilots never left ALPA in the 1950's. With a common merger policy it might have been more fair to the TWA pilots. (who got a raw deal).

And look.... more mergers on the horizon...

Another reason for all pilots to be one union. It doesn't have to be ALPA.

Had we both been ALPA, this integration would have gone to an arbitrator (which I believe is the only fair way to do it.) It's anyone's guess as to how it would've gone, but I can guarantee this - there would have been no stapling. There is never any stapling when an arbitrator is involved, rightfully so.

Unfortunately, when two different unions are involved, the acquiring carrier and its unions are free to do what they want. In many cases fairness is thrown out the window. (SWA/Morris, AA/TWA, SWA/Muse/TranStar, AA/Reno.) However, there are a few ALPA-ALPA mergers where merger policy is tossed out, and the integration is a result of a "back door" type deal between the acquiring MEC and management. (TWA/OZ - yes, DOH, but still an 80% staple and ALPA meger policy not followed, Piedmont/Empire - full staple.)

Mergers student!

Anyone think back in the 50's that the AA pilots leaving ALPA would screw the TWA pilots 50 years later.....

maybe probabaly not....

Oh wait. Those don't support your argument.

Exactly, typically in a debate an individual will cite stats which support rather than refute their particular point of view. Also the more current the better for the sake of argument.

However, thanks for stating the obvious

Anyone think back in the 50's that alpa would totally screw the TWA pilots as well?

ALPA has turned into a monster that only looks out for itself. It's a huge corporation now that doesn't really protect pilots anymore. To throw a group of pilots (TWA) who were one of the founding members back in the '30's, to the wolves is showing it's true colors.

To think I was once proud to be a member of council #2 in NY. Council # 3 was in STL. I think Northwest has Council # 1.

I think Northwest has Council # 1.

UAL, I believe, in ORD still has Council 1 - the biggest there is.

To add to what you're saying about ALPA, the minute they let the CAL scabs back in was enlightening.

A once-proud ALPA member

I believe council 3 was LAX and 4 was STL but maybe I have it backward. TC

Latest resources

Back