• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Has ALPA tried to bring AA back?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had we both been ALPA, this integration would have gone to an arbitrator (which I believe is the only fair way to do it.) It's anyone's guess as to how it would've gone, but I can guarantee this - there would have been no stapling. There is never any stapling when an arbitrator is involved, rightfully so.

Unfortunately, when two different unions are involved, the acquiring carrier and its unions are free to do what they want. In many cases fairness is thrown out the window. (SWA/Morris, AA/TWA, SWA/Muse/TranStar, AA/Reno.) However, there are a few ALPA-ALPA mergers where merger policy is tossed out, and the integration is a result of a "back door" type deal between the acquiring MEC and management. (TWA/OZ - yes, DOH, but still an 80% staple and ALPA meger policy not followed, Piedmont/Empire - full staple.)

Mergers student!

Of those "back door" type deals, in which cases did the "staplees" agree to the integration...oh yes, the one you describe. Big difference there.

Oh, you forgot AA/AirCal, AA/TCA....how were those done and what unions were on the property at that time?

stlflyguy

council 2 was TWA domestic
council 3 was TWA STL
council 24 was TWA Int'l

Council 2 ended up being TWA NY domestic.
Council 3 was TWA STL.
Council 4 was TWA SFO/LAX.
Council 24 was TWA INT'L but was dissolved and members to fit into other councils.

stlflyguy

Of those "back door" type deals, in which cases did the "staplees" agree to the integration...oh yes, the one you describe. Big difference there.

Oh, you forgot AA/AirCal, AA/TCA....how were those done and what unions were on the property at that time?

stlflyguy

Flyguy,

My point was not to excuse the deal you got, but rather to point out that ALPA merger policy is sometimes not followed between two ALPA-ALPA airlines.

AA/Aircal, etc. would fall under my explanation as to what happens when both airlines have different unions. AA/APA is not the only example.

regards,

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back