Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hard work doesn't pay in Avation, unless you're a U.N.D. Grad!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UND Grads

There will always be pilots who have had an easier path to the regionals. There will be captains that are 10 years younger than you. There will be plenty of pilots who have never been late on their loan payments, never skipped meals, never were broke two weeks before payday, etc.

While flying is an awesome job it is not your entire life. Get your income and self esteem somewhere else.

There will always be pilots who have had an easier path to the regionals. There will be captains that are 10 years younger than you. There will be plenty of pilots who have never been late on their loan payments, never skipped meals, never were broke two weeks before payday, etc.

While flying is an awesome job it is not your entire life. Get your income and self esteem somewhere else.
(emphasis added)

Good comments, Keith. Good post.

Thanks for the USMC service.

Ok, you must understand whether your UND grad Riddle guy, Flight safety etc, FBO guy, we all work hard to get to the right and eventually left seat. The world is tough and you must sacrafice a lot to get what you want. SO those that have dad to help them out are luckier then some but dont discredit them for having those options as I am sure all of us would have taken such a good opportunity if presented with that choice! Can't beat a BS/BA and flying at the same time. Sure the "real world" has hardships and you have seen some of them. We have all seen them especially as CFI/MEI/CFII times and 135 flying freight at night in the ice! I remember those times. I too am aspiring to fly for the regionals. Work your ass off make connections and just do it. If you spend your time thinkink about "this sucks why can't i get hired with a 1k of time and 100 MEL" then you will not move forward. Spend your time with your students, fly more try for about 80-100 a month, advance your ratings/credentials -- get an ATP written done. Meet MEL pilots and see if you want to fly with them as a safety pilot or somtin.

DO NOT EVER: complain about the industry for which you are not in yet. If you think it sucks now think about the future when you are missing home on a lay over, get furloughed and how about REDEPLOYED.

Those that have gotten the jobs, flying whatever, are those that work hard and have patience. With a 1k + of time your goal should not be I want to fly a RJ now, it should be I need to gain a few hundred more hours to make myself competitve with the other guys out there. I need to impress the heck out of the interviewers by showing my diversity.

Your time will come you must have patience and one day you will be saying man I can't wait to retire from the left seat !

Good luck and keep up the hard work cause it will pay off just look around you.

~J

Last edited:
I am the definition of "the black sheep" and I love it.

I pounded out 17 years of flying, not a dime of daddy's money, came up through the civilian ranks from instructor in a Tomahawk to MD11 Captain (and back down again....) Difference between you and me: I wasn't too proud to go to the regionals. (BTW: Enjoy that self-righteousness, it may be all you get out of this business.) If you can't live on $20,000 a year, that sounds like a personal problem. (I could do it, tomorrow. Another lesson I've learned from aviation).

Lose the tude, pal. You ain't the only one paid dues around here. And with an attitude like that pasted above, you'll never get off top dead center. Humility is a wonderful thing. Find some.

Latest resources

Back