• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Guppy killer sticker?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest will shrink soon enough. They may be able to do it without furloughs and via attrition instead, but the result will be the same.

Regional lift demand is very much trending downward, and the pilots at most majors are being very careful about scoping out the larger so-called "regional jets" this time around.

Skywest will shrink soon enough. They may be able to do it without furloughs and via attrition instead, but the result will be the same. /quote]

Attrition? Who is hiring? Retirements have basically been postponed for five more years and going somewhere else is pretty risky. The skywest seniority list has grown almost five fold in the last six years and a majority of those guys are under thirty years old.

Skywest has never furloughed a pilot in over thirty five years...not even after 9/11 (which in actuality we grew because of that event). I dont see Skywest shrinking, the partners are all trying to solidfy their regional feed but as they trim the fat I think Skywest will be the last to ever get cut.

Personally I think we will unfortunately see growth on the UAL side with the CRJ900. UAL ALPA will have to relax the scope clause and in doing so UAL ALPA will be very aggressive in putting their pilots in those seat....but then again due to attrition and voluntary leave at UAL they may not need to furlough to many pilots.

Why on shuttle america do the flight atts and pilots only refer to Delta, not even Delta connection. The pilot said "thanks for flying Delta from your IND based flight crew". the Flt Atts said thanks from all Delta employees from around the world. There were 2 OH crews on board, and countless Delta flt atts and pilots going to work. We all got a good laugh except the older Delta Pilot he seemed pissed, since he asked the boy george wanna be Flt Att. who he worked for. This said flight was from MSP to CVG on the 08/15/08 at 11:43.

Why on shuttle america do the flight atts and pilots only refer to Delta, not even Delta connection. The pilot said "thanks for flying Delta from your IND based flight crew". the Flt Atts said thanks from all Delta employees from around the world. There were 2 OH crews on board, and countless Delta flt atts and pilots going to work. We all got a good laugh except the older Delta Pilot he seemed pissed, since he asked the boy george wanna be Flt Att. who he worked for. This said flight was from MSP to CVG on the 08/15/08 at 11:43.

So what?? Most people don't know the difference between the two.

Attrition? Who is hiring? Retirements have basically been postponed for five more years and going somewhere else is pretty risky. The skywest seniority list has grown almost five fold in the last six years and a majority of those guys are under thirty years old.

As I said, I don't expect Skywest/ASA to furlough, but to shrink. Not immediately, but over the next decade or so.

Attrition can come from natural retirements (60-65 range), pilots seeking career changes (not infrequent at the regional level), or getting hired out.

Southwest is hiring, Delta purportedly will be hiring soon, and both would prefer Skywest/regional pilots over legacy-furloughed pilots. The fractional model is doing well (Netjets) as are international jobs (Cathay (!!), UAE, etc) . . .both will appeal to a certain percentage of regional pilots.

All this will be moot, of course, if pilots at legacies give up seats and scope for the large "RJ's". Anything is possible, but I certainly hope this isn't the direction that the airlines are headed towards.

UAL ALPA will have to relax the scope clause and in doing so UAL ALPA will be very aggressive in putting their pilots in those seat.

I think it's very unlikely that the UAL MEC under CA Wallach's leadership will give up a single seat of scope. These guys are hardcore. You been to www.glenntilton.com yet?

I was the FO on that pairing and did that leg. and I can be the first of many at RAH to say that the FA you are talking about is a headache to all the crewmembers. he has his CFI and thinks he knows all and actually apologized to us for knowing so much when he asked us if we had just started the apu. that was one of his many one-liners on that two day.

as far as the guy with the guppy killer whatever name..i believe he put ATP written under ratings, so i think we can all get an idea of what kinda guy he is.

I never cringed as much as I did with this post. I just finished reading, and you guys all seem like mindless fools. A few points
1) Stop saying E170 guys think they fly a "mini bus" i know a bunch who do fly and they don't give a hoot, this all "i am a better pilot cause I fly a E170" is BS rhetoric, I never met anyone who flies that plane and says that. If you think thats what they say, maybe u might be a bit envious your not for some mindless foolish reason. Your all RJ pilots working for dirt pay no matter what co, skyw, RAH, XJT, Pncl, etc
2) The notion of "oh those 170's are "guppy killers" especially from those who say that are crj-700/900 drivers is beyond stunningly retarded. The airlines don't market aircraft based on how they look!! Just cause the E170 has its engines flung under the wing and the CRJ-700 are tail mounted, doesn;t make one a "regional" and the other "mainline"!!! How vapid is that notion!! Its just a different airplane for the same markets they serve, and the thought of \the e170 is a "mainline" aircraft. NEwsflash** Its not! They both sit around 70 pax, so they fly the same markets as CRJ7. So your debate is the E170 is mainline just because the design "looks" mainline. E170 and CRJ-700/900 are the same, just different airplane maker, so if you fly a CRJ7 and you give crap to E170 guys for flying or "undercutting" your a MORON, cause your doing the same thing, flying the same amoung of pax!!!
Point is, I've said it many times b4, about how dumb this forum is cause you just bicker about what rj is better and for what co, meanwhile the snarling crooks who are running this industry are laughing at your minimalistic virtues and keep screwing you. You need to be united, not this mindless crap "skyw will never furlough, were the best" is transparently dumb and brainwashed. Stop being kids and lets start changing this industry for the better for yourselves, step #1- BE UNITED AS PILOTS AND STEP UP TO THE CROOKS AT THE TOP!!

Last edited:
I never cringed as much as I did with this post. I just finished reading, and you guys all seem like mindless fools. A few points
1) Stop saying E170 guys think they fly a "mini bus" i know a bunch who do fly and they don't give a hoot, this all "i am a better pilot cause I fly a E170" is BS rhetoric, I never met anyone who flies that plane and says that. If you think thats what they say, maybe u might be a bit envious your not for some mindless foolish reason. Your all RJ pilots working for dirt pay no matter what co, skyw, RAH, XJT, Pncl, etc
2) The notion of "oh those 170's are "guppy killers" especially from those who say that are crj-700/900 drivers is beyond stunningly retarded. The airlines don't market aircraft based on how they look!! Just cause the E170 has its engines flung under the wing and the CRJ-700 are tail mounted, doesn;t make one a "regional" and the other "mainline"!!! How vapid is that notion!! Its just a different airplane for the same markets they serve, and the thought of \the e170 is a "mainline" aircraft. NEwsflash** Its not! They both sit around 70 pax, so they fly the same markets as CRJ7. So your debate is the E170 is mainline just because the design "looks" mainline. E170 and CRJ-700/900 are the same, just different airplane maker, so if you fly a CRJ7 and you give crap to E170 guys for flying or "undercutting" your a MORON, cause your doing the same thing, flying the same amoung of pax!!!
Point is, I've said it many times b4, about how dumb this forum is cause you just bicker about what rj is better and for what co, meanwhile the snarling crooks who are running this industry are laughing at your minimalistic virtues and keep screwing you. You need to be united, not this mindless crap "skyw will never furlough, were the best" is transparently dumb and brainwashed. Stop being kids and lets start changing this industry for the better for yourselves, step #1- BE UNITED AS PILOTS AND STEP UP TO THE CROOKS AT THE TOP!!

All I read was blah, blah, blah!! I've been there and seen it first hand. Maybe you are one of those "mini-bus" drivers?? Get a clue, then come back and spit out your crap. BTW- NO envy here, actually far from it. Did the regional thing before (ACA) and know that there is NO reason to envy the regionals, no matter what they fly.

The only smart thing you said was being united as pilots, and again, get some experience and you will know that will never happen.

Latest resources

Back