Gulftstream Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

soleary

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping somebody has information about Gulfstream Academy and Gulfstream International Airlines. I have 3000 hours, most of it in AH-1s and AH-64s, and 150 MEL with a Commercial license with Instrument. I've completed the ATP written (98%). My question is..... Is their program worth the expense for someone in my shoes. Will it make enough difference in my hireability to justify the time and expense ($20,000)? I'll leave the course with 250 Multi Turbine time and experience in a part 121 operation. I'll would very much appreciate any advice or insights.

When you have an afternoon to kill, make a pot of coffee, run a search in this forum on Gulfstream, read all of them and then come back if you still have questions.

that 98%, and...............
do you want a star next to your name or something???
soleary said:
I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping somebody has information about Gulfstream Academy and Gulfstream International Airlines. I have 3000 hours, most of it in AH-1s and AH-64s, and 150 MEL with a Commercial license with Instrument. I've completed the ATP written (98%). My question is..... Is their program worth the expense for someone in my shoes. Will it make enough difference in my hireability to justify the time and expense ($20,000)? I'll leave the course with 250 Multi Turbine time and experience in a part 121 operation. I'll would very much appreciate any advice or insights.

Gulfstream International Academy

Also known as P-F-T.

Don't bother with Gulfstream. It's not for you. Save your money. Brush up on your airplane instrument skills, find a light twin and an examiner who can give ATP practicals, and knock off your ATP. Then start applying to regionals. You are a little light, multiwise, but I'd bet you can get an interview or two. It'll be better if you can do something flying airplanes for a few months. Better still, there are some 135 outfits that fly both airplanes and helicopters.

If the money is really burning a hole in your pocket, I'd go for all my airplane CFI ratings and a rotorcraft-helicopter CFI. The latter should be cake for you. Then, you'll have some good marketable credentials that'll get you work. Tax-deductable, I might add.

Do run a search on Gulfstream, as suggested above. Read all the posts pro and con to get a balanced viewpoint of the place.

Good luck with your decision.

to mpower

In posting my ATP score I was trying to give people an idea of what my resume would look like so they could better assess my situation and give me more informed advice. Thank you so much for brilliantly thought out response. It was so helpful. I would have expected better from someone calling themselves "mpower". To the rest of you who are truly trying to be helpful, thank you very much.

Easy answers

One thing that you did not give is your age... It is easy for people on these boards who have a philosophy to express it and usually they do without regard for examination of the individual/

You are a bit between a rock and a hole in the ground as you obviously have skills but much of it helicopter time. This is an age old issue and one I am asked about at every job fair or Women in Aviation type show.

To answer you in an appropriate way I would need a better handly on your personal situation. If you are older as I suspect and can, one of the accelerated programs to get you aircraft multi engine turbine time might well be for you, whether Gulfstream or another.

If you want to PM me more information as to your status, I will try to be more specific.

Soleary-

As you may already have surmised, a great many of us have a differing view of Gulfstream compared to that of Publisher.

I recommend a second pot of coffee as you read the results of your search. You will find logic, emotion, and the main players: "traditional learning experiences, values, and professional ethics" versus "displacing what would otherwise be a job for a paid employee, paying to accelerate your career by getting hired sooner therefore a better seniority number, and being seen as one who takes shortcuts" in most of the posts.

We'll report, you decide.

time

timebuilder,

As I said in my private message to this fellow, after learning more about his personal situtation, he is a candidate for a program that provides him multi engine turbine time.

That may not be Gulfstream, nor did I recommend them. The fact is that he has some 3000 hours of total time. The CFI route is not appropriate for this individual. As his age, the clock is ticking and an accelerated program plus a year or two with someone like Airnet may be all required to get to his goal.

These military helo pilots are in a bind. If I grant you that Gulfstream is PFT, he could still go to Tab or someone else strickly for the time.

Why does he need a program to build multi turbine time? He seems well qualified for a right seat jet or turboprop job without having to buy his way in.

Send out some resumes to everyone and anyone that operates 135 jets and turboprops. Dont break out the helo and airplane time on your resume. Odds are they wont ask and I have never had an employer ask for my logbooks (airlines excluded) You should get plenty of calls

no offense to my fellow helo driver, but as others have pointed out you must not have searched very far on this board for info about gulfstream. this board is littered with houndreds of opinions about that program, and others like it.

take the time to read them and formulate your own opinion. i have seen people find some measure of success by going down that path, but obviously at great expense. even post-9/11 helo drivers with a couple hundred hours of light-twin multi are being hired, even at regionals such as aca.

have you not browsed the message boards at www.aptap.org? you will find a crowd more in tune with your background that may be able to give you more appropriate advice for your situation.

good luck!

Latest resources

Back