Gulftstream Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Carlsbad Citation Type

I took my Citation type with the gentleman that Ty Webb references. His name is Mike Pappas. I got my type with Mike when he was operating Professional Airline Systems. He now operates Flight Crew Systems, Inc., http://www.flightcrewsystems.com .
It was one of the best experiences I ever had. I recommend Mike highly if you go that route. Mike is an old-time Western Airlines pilot. He has a lot of experience and great advice to offer.

Last edited:
This is for the former NFO-

Sir, you miss the point. Gulfstream is not on par with PFT. Gulfstream is actually renting out the F/O seat per hour. Perhaps if HAL decided to rent out the right seat on your airplane instead of hiring F/O's, you would understand the situation a little better.

You also write "A citation rating without any time in the aircraft is a waste of money. Insurance will not let you get hired at most places and the jobs are not that easy to come buy. . . Besides, you don't need a type to fly copilot and build SIC time.".

Again, you miss the point. He would be getting his ATP and Citation type, for only $3500. The Citation type would not normally result in a PIC job, but it would demonstrate that he has the ability to perform at a much higher level than his MEL time would suggest, which should leave little doubt with a regional or other operator that he is able to complete training in their pressurized turbine fixed-wing airplane.

Additionally, more and more bizjet operators are finding their insurers and customers are insisting on two type-rated pilots, as most of the fractionals and large management companies operate that way, a type is a little more useful than you might think.

Lastly. . . life is about more than a seniority number, and I'm sure you can find any number of "major airline captains" who are contemplating shady programs for their kids. Many of the skippers I fly with are very out of touch with flight training - did it ever occur to you that maybe they were bouncing ideas off of you and looking for your input? It's a shame that you couldn't give them a little more insight to exactly what these "programs" do, which is eliminate the entry-level position that guys like the original poster in this string is looking for.

As an attack helo guy myself remember one very important point-

Flying a helo VFR is much different than flying a multi engine fixed wing IFR. You havent really paid your dues in that regard.

once again, all atp's is NOT a part 141 school...

since you don't have va bennies, it doesn't matter anyway.

why waste your money on a cfi rating if you'll never use it? you would be better off spending the money on multi time or another program. unless you get your mei i think you would be spinning your wheels. even then, i would say the other options are probably better suited to your position.

good post from jim...

checked out www.aptap.org yet???

Last edited:
Okay, here's my .02 . You need to go post on www.atpap.org as Anaconda suggested. There are a bunch of folks there in exactly your situation and they can help you through the process.

First, the biggest thing you can do to improve your hireability is to get your ATP MEFW. Go buy the time you need for your mins (152 time if you're short on funds - ME time is a better return on your dollar if you have the money). Find the cheapest ATP mill you can get into (All ATPs comes to mind. That's where I did my written), and get the rating. Then round up the cheapest additional MEFW time you can.

Simultaneously, get your 1st Class medical and FCC license. Update your passport and round up any letters of recommendation you can.

When you get your ATP done, send out resumes to every regional airline, 135 cargo outfit, and air taxi service you can get a fax number for. Comair, ACA and ASA are helo friendly. The first two are hiring now, ASA should be hiring after they get their contract negotiations settled out. Piedmont's recruiter is a retired Army guy. Airnet is hiring...Chicago Express is hiring... heck, there is somebody else hiring right now that will take you on...you just need to find out who that is. It's like the old joke about the lottery and buying a ticket. They can't offer you an interview if you don't send them a resume

Finally, if you don't get anywhere after a couple of months, break out your checkbook, do what you gotta do, and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it. You just finished 20+ years busting your hump to protect us. You don't have any explaining to do to anyone except possibly the Missus.

Good luck, Semper fi, and take this discussion to APTAP. You'll find what you need there.

;)

Hey, Anaconda . . . .

Excellent, sensible post, especially your advice to start the spam attack (sorry).

Latest resources

Back