• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Type Ratings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like you say, the GV seems to be the one to have, if you can swing it.

Fly Safe!

GII and GIII will be around for a long time.

But yes, if you can get the GV, its the best one to have without a doubt. Get the Global type and you'll have more work than you can handle too.

But yes, if you can get the GV, its the best one to have without a doubt. Get the Global type and you'll have more work than you can handle too.

I'd do a little more research before I went out and plunked down $47K (or whatever the going rack rate is) for a GV or Global type rating. Either are a great rating to have, but without some time in type you're going to find contract work difficult to come by.

G-II / G-III = G-1159
G-IV = G-IV
G-V = G-V, G-400, G-450, G-500, G-550

So by this reasoning, the G-V type is the one to have.

Sure, if you have $40k to loan yourself! You almost can't go wrong with any G type rating. You will make more in the Vs (and the 3 4 and 550s) but it will cost more for the type. Work seems easier to come by for the G-IV guys, there are over (rough estimate here) 600 in service which is why its easier. You can get a great deal in on the IV type if you go through certain company's training program. Work in the G-II and III is easier to get with no time in type--that said it also comes down to who you know.

PIC's in G-II and III get about $650-800 per day, SIC's anywhere from $500-650. Good luck!

I'd do a little more research before I went out and plunked down $47K (or whatever the going rack rate is) for a GV or Global type rating. Either are a great rating to have, but without some time in type you're going to find contract work difficult to come by.

Some friends recently bought their G550 types and they are all doing quite well. In a matter of 4 months they all paid for their types and now they are just banking the cash. They had zero Gulfstream experience. The types are going back up a bit in price but they paid in the mid $30's for GV/ with 550 and 450 differences included.

Some friends recently bought their G550 types and they are all doing quite well. In a matter of 4 months they all paid for their types and now they are just banking the cash. They had zero Gulfstream experience. The types are going back up a bit in price but they paid in the mid $30's for GV/ with 550 and 450 differences included.

Probably the exception rather than the rule. :)

Florida must be operating on a different economy than the rest of the US right now.

Too much GV/GLEX work and not enough pilots to go around.

:laugh:

Its all overseas flying, but who cares. They go away for 20-30 days and come home for 15-20 days. Nothing wrong with that.

This country might be going down the drain, the rest of the world is doing great.

Florida must be operating on a different economy than the rest of the US right now.

Has nothing to do with Florida, there's a ton of contract work overseas for Globals and G's. I have 3 friends that got laid off this week who fly Globals Part 91, they're going directly into contract flying and will make more than they did at their 91 salary job.

You should get a book and learn how to network, maybe you can do some contract work some day if the need arises.

A G200 type rating would be very valuable right now!

I don't believe that. It use to be. Check www.flycontract.com and see how many G200 guys are looking for work.

I have a G200 Type with 600 hours in type and current and I am unemployed.

Valuable - Maybe.

very Valuable - NOT

Besides a type without any time in type isn't worth much no matter what aircraft.

Latest resources

Back