Gulfstream IV Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cl65@350

Could someone out there tell me about the type program at simuflight or flightsafety? Is it 24-7 study and do they prepare you well for the checkride. Is there any gouge out there that one could get their hands on before training that will help prepare for day 1??? Thanks for all the info...

I don't know about the Gwiz, but training on the cl600, iajet, lrjet (all FSI) was just as good as I received at my current employer. Same type syllabus. Instructors were excellent and were willing to stay after class if you had questions. There were always sims that you could get into to go through checklist flows and manipulate the systems. While sitting in an unscheduled sim after ground school a buddy of mine and I were approached by a new sim instructor, he needed to practice his bag of tricks. We flew around for a few hours while he did his thing. If you wish, you can get your manuals sent to you weeks in advance of your training date. They also offer enrichment courses on things like weather, radar, icing/deicing and what not. Good stuff. Have fun.

All FSI courses are set-up to get you through as if you never have seen the airplane before..

You can show up cold, but of course that makes it MUCH harder on you.

Best bet is to get ahold of the FSI or Simuflite systems manual, checklist, and manuevers guides (stalls, steep turns). Know the emergencies and how to run the abnormals efficiently. Know the cockpit setup and systems checks. This will make the sims go MUCH smoother.

Most centers run 5-6 days a week. Some go 7 days. First week or so will be all classroom (8-4) then you will have a 4-5 hr sim block for the rest of the time.

Its not hard, Its not that "drinking from a firehose" BS people say, Systems knowledge is no longer that stupid "draw me the hydrauic system" $hit of the past. General knowledge only......but... It IS a lot to know and it IS a long 3+ weeks. Stay in a quiet, comfy hotel and be sure to set aside some time to relax a bit.

I bet you will find it much more laid back than airline training, you are now a big paying customer and they are nicer to you...heck, you may even find yourself bored after a bit.....

Good Luck and Have Fun!

PS - FSI Savannah does employ some pretty old stuffy folks who think they are gods gift to aviation for flying that outdated Dinosaur...:D

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
PS - FSI Savannah does employ some pretty old stuffy folks who think they are gods gift to aviation for flying that outdated Dinosaur...:D

Well if THAT doesn't pull GVFlyer out of the carpet fibers I don't know what will! :D ;) :p

No no no...let's really pull GVFlyer out of the woodwork!

Why the hell is anyone flying the GIV or GV anymore? The thing is a flying phallus. One big overpriced overcompensation for the small penis pilots flying it. Chrome plated throttle quadrant? JEEEZUS! Feeling a bit inadequate? Just lift up and back on the chome plated levers for the reversers, and feel the plane shake as the movie star hopped up on heroin slams into the forward bulkhead since he forgot to fasten his seatbelt when you began to drag this flying monstrocity down to the airport. That'll make you feel better! Holy crap, I'd rather fly traffic watch in a puke smelling 172 than taint my logbook with the N-number of a god-forsaken Gulfstream IV or V. D@mn!!!!

:D :D :D

Gulfstream 200 said:

When I went to GV initial about 3 years ago, I thought it was probably the best run program that FlightSafety has ever put on. I went to GIV recurrent a year later (after being out of the airplane for several years) and found that program being at parr with the GV program.

FlightSafety Savannah has really cleaned up their programs since they moved into the new training school several years ago........dare I say that Savannah is the standard that all other FlightSafety centers need to strive towards:cool:

cl65@350,

There used to be some notes floating around authored by a guy from Jet Aviation, I believe. I don't have mine anymore, maybe someone else can help. It may even be on the web?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...you are a ton of help! I am posting another topic if anyone cares to help out on this one too...flying the GIV SP...how is the navigational capability flying into some of the 3rd world countries with little navaids...is it all GPS stuff and how comfortable is that...having never used it myself?? What about that Aspen accident a few years ago...what happened there???
Thanks

cl65@350 said:
Thanks everyone...you are a ton of help! I am posting another topic if anyone cares to help out on this one too...flying the GIV SP...how is the navigational capability flying into some of the 3rd world countries with little navaids...is it all GPS stuff and how comfortable is that...having never used it myself?? What about that Aspen accident a few years ago...what happened there???
Thanks

The Aspen accident was a G-III and was pilot error...

Falcon Capt said:
Well if THAT doesn't pull GVFlyer out of the carpet fibers I don't know what will! :D ;) :p

I'm still here. This reminds me of a time when I recommended that we place an ad in one of the aviation trades that was simply two blank pages facing each other - the one on the left would simply be labled "Promises Bombardier has kept", the one one the right, "Promises Gulfstream has broken." I was told that Gulfstream doesn't dignify the existence of the "Challengers" to the throne by acknowledging their existence.

Please note that the most advanced transport category jet on the planet, the G550, gained full-up type certification last Tuesday. The G450 with the G550 cockpit, drag enhancements, and Fadec Tay engines will be next.

GV

Last edited:
GVFlyer said:
[B

Please note that the most advanced transport category jet on the planet, the G550, gained full-up type certification last Tuesday. The G450 with the G550 cockpit, drag enhancements, and Fadec Tay engines will be next.

GV [/B]

And who would have thought the GI would still be in production this long................:D :D :D :D :D :D

Latest resources

Back