• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream IV Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
how valuable is a GIV type with time in type for both charter and corporate flying jobs? do you need to have a billion hours PIC in type before you are marketable for the career jobs? thanks

GIV/ G450

A couple of questions for ya.......

What kind of fuel burn improvements are the TAY's running (or expecting) with FADEC's on the G450 verses the GIVSP?

Also, is Gulfstream going to raise the ceiling on the G450.........maybe up to FL510?

And........are you going to need a "evacuation crewmember" on the G450 and G500 as you do on the G550?

Good Question

how valuable is a GIV type with time in type for both charter and corporate flying jobs? do you need to have a billion hours PIC in type before you are marketable for the career jobs? thanks

I'd like to add a twist to that question....if one has a brand new type would you now be marketable as a contract pilot with no PIC in type?

The Falcon 2000 or the Global Express.

You can get plenty of work with a G4 rating but the rates have been coming down to around the same rates for the F2000 ($450-$650 a day). With the excess of pilots and the overall number of G4's (coming up on 500 aircraft) out there, it's competitive to say the least. Most of the people I know have no problem finding a qualified G4 pilot. The only pilots I know that are flying with no experience are the ones that just purchased their types and they are working for far less then scale rates. The F2000 rating costs less and will get you the same amount of work as a G4 rating.

The G5 rating will get you work and a much better day rate but the big difference between the G5($800-$1000) and the Global, is NetJets.

Netjet pilots are on a 2 week on 2 week off cycle. The Netjet pilot who wants to work during his 2 weeks off, has no problem doing so. I know of one pilot in particular who works an additional 3-4 days a month(during one of his 2 week off cycles). That's an additional $36-48k on top of his G5 NetJets salery. He still winds up with 10-11 days off at home.

Their are no Global's at NetJets and subsequently their are fewer pilots available and the day rates are higher ($1000-$1200). The big BUT is, their are fewer Globals out their.

The type rating costs the same as a G5 but before you spend the $35k I would line up some potential clients (that goes for for any type that you purchase).

Most folks hire a temp pilot as a relief pilot on long haul international or because someone is out on vac or ill. They want an intl qualified pilot because they have a long haul aircraft. If you are not an intl guy, go with the F2000, it doesn't require the intl experience. It's not something they can hold against you. Besides it's a great aircraft to fly.

Falcon Capt said:
So why guy a G450 when for only $3 Million more you can have a G500?

Sorry, about not getting back to you sooner, I've been on the road. The delta should should actually be about 3.2 million, but I know that's in the statistical "noise". The G450 is designed to be a very luxurious aircraft with every option included in the basic price to include 5 years maintenance and training. The G500 while not a "stripper" is a more basic model.

GV

Re: GIV/ G450

fokkerjet said:
A couple of questions for ya.......

What kind of fuel burn improvements are the TAY's running (or expecting) with FADEC's on the G450 verses the GIVSP?

Won't know for sure until Gulfstream conducts the drag polars that Falcon Captain is so fond of, but maximum fuel for the G450 will remain at 29,500 lbs (nominal) and range will be increased by 400nm. This is, however, the result of a drag reduction program in addition to making more efficient Tay's.

Also, is Gulfstream going to raise the ceiling on the G450.........maybe up to FL510?

No. Service ceiling is normally derived by negotiating a hole in the fuselage that will occur at a frequency no greater than 10 to the 7th power with the FAA ACO, then demonstrating that you can make an emergency decent from the proposed altitude with that size hole in the pressure vessel without putting anybody in the back to sleep. New maximum altitude testing is not currently planned for the G450.

And........are you going to need a "evacuation crewmember" on the G450 and G500 as you do on the G550?

Not so far on the G450, but that was a pretty elegant solution, don't you think, as opposed to punching another hole in the pressure vessel?

GV

Are they going to offer the same efficencies(reduced drag, FADEC) to the G300?

G4G5 said:
Are they going to offer the same efficencies(reduced drag, FADEC) to the G300?

I don't know. However, the Big G has always done what it could to benefit from economies of scale - G-IV/GV common rudder, common nose, and so forth, so I think it would make logical sense that this would follow.

GV

Re: Re: GIV/ G450

GVFlyer said:

Not so far on the G450, but that was a pretty elegant solution, don't you think, as opposed to punching another hole in the pressure vessel?

GV

I have to agree with you on that. What caused the Fed's to look into the design of the window exits in the first place? I know the cabin door was repositioned more forward in the fuselage, does that open the "can of worms" for the rest of the fuselage? It doesn't seem right that you need the crewmember on the G550, but the other models get a free ride. If so, I can see why Gulfstream doesn't want to mess with the G450:eek:

I'll deny this if ever challeged, but I'm starting to miss the GV a little bit.............getting tired of rebooting the Falcon:mad: all the time!

Latest resources

Back