Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Britpilot said:
[.

While we're at it, I don't feel that Southwest is P-F-T. :)

What is it then? [/B]

I could apply tomorrow at SWA, and not pay one cent for training. I didn't pay one cent for my 737 type rating, either.

Kinda shoots that PFT theory, doesn't it? (No matter how some people want to twist it to fit their beliefs.)

Southwest

350DRIVER said:
In reality SWA is PFT in a way.... IF "hired" YOU are required to obtain a 737 type rating and last I checked YOU had to PAY the place for the TRAINING
Really, though, my understanding about the Southwest 737 type requirement is the airline doesn't care where you get the type. It just cares that you have it. Therefore, consider this issue from the following point of view.

This whole Southwest 737 type issue seems to turn on the notion of paying for the type rating, i.e. the "pay" in P-F-T. However, what if by some stretch of the imagination you acquired a 737 type on an employer's nickel before applying to Southwest? That would extinguish the "pay" notion, wouldn't it? It's the "pay" notion that is abhorent to people.

In other words, compare it to working for a company that typed you in Lears. You see a better job that requires a Lear type. You have the type. You apply. I don't know of a single person here who would have a problem with that.

Or, let's say you are a 737 captain at some major that furloughed you. You have the 737 type. You decide to resign your seniority and apply to Southwest. The type is on your pilot certificate. It will always be yours. What's the problem there?

Just another analysis of this issue. And, as always, it's just my .02 opinion.

well what the hells the point. If guys at coex already had a ATR typr back in the day they were not required to go through a whole ground school and sim. To get hired at southwest you NEED a 737 type. Now most guys do not have one when they aply. Its PFT plain and simple. Thats the way they do things and thats that, but lets not put a gold chain on a pig and call it a puppy!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but 350, Gulfstream, I think has a pretty long waiting list for their FO course.

And is this suppose to change my feeling towards the program.?? I think NOT. The facts speak for themselves.

3 5 0

ps> The coffee smells good this morning....

mckpickle said:
To get hired at southwest you NEED a 737 type. Its PFT plain and simple. Thats the way they do things and thats that, but lets not put a gold chain on a pig and call it a puppy!

Who really gives a @#*^ whether you believe it's PFT or not? SWA has always required a type, and will always require a type. It's always been one of the more sought after jobs in aviation, and will continue to be. Probably even more so, now. There has never been a shortage of people applying, and that will continue to be the case. Your opinion of "the way they do things" notwithstanding.

BTW, anyone with half a clue of what PFT really is can plainly see that it doesn't apply to SWA. Guess that leaves you out.

And is this suppose to change my feeling towards the program.?? I think NOT. The facts speak for themselves.

3 5 0

ps> The coffee smells good this morning....

Precisely, I think trying to change your mind about GIA is a lost cause.
Only because you have no idea of what you're talking about.
Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.
Keep spouting your ignorant, angry, misinformed opinions, one day you'll fly with someone who went through GIA.

PS. Starbucks is better.
PSS isn't a 1900 the same as a 350?

jppt2000 said:
[Precisely, I think trying to change your mind about GIA is a lost cause.
Only because you have no idea of what you're talking about.
Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.
Keep spouting your ignorant, angry, misinformed opinions, one day you'll fly with someone who went through GIA. [/B]

For what it's worth, I agree that GIA is a joke and an insult to our profession.

It is because of GIA and countless other airlines like it that the piloting profession is threatened today like it has never been before.

How can we expect any airline mgt team to respect us as professionals when so many of our number seem content to condone programs such as this?

P.S.
I would be happy to share my opinion with any GIA graduate, whether I am flying with him or not. Disdain for the program does not necessarily translate into disdain for the pilot. People make mistakes and errors in judgement, and respectfully pointing out the ramifications of programs like GIA should be encouraged to potentially hinder them from spreading.

Me- "I would like a job with you all at SWA"
SWA- "Certainly,just go get a 737 type"
Me- "Ok I'll do that"
Training facility- "Here's your type, that will $8500.00 Please"
SWA- "Are, you have your type, welcome aboard"

No it's not PFT, you are right, so you all won't have a problem with me after I have done this,and written the check, right?

How can we expect any airline mgt team to respect us as professionals when so many of our number seem content to condone programs such as this?

Spoken like a true alleged Delta Mainline guy who I think is furloughed. Gee, I remember your condescending tone FlyDeltaJets, we traded, "opinions" at an earlier time. Were you thinking the same thing when you and your mainline professionals had a chance to stand up to management with the COMASA PID?
Oh, FDJ, you forgot to add, Comair "flight academy owned by DAL" and ASA were PFT.
Times are a changing folks.
350, stand on the corner and cry all you want.
Boo hoo hoo, my heart bleeds for you both.

Latest resources

Back